Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Board bug - a show of hands for a fix?

b3fiend

I can't be the ONLY one here who has written a lengthy reply to a post, clicked 'submit', only to discover I forgot to put in my username/password, or I made a typo in either field.

If you try to click the back button to fix it, everything you wrote in your post is GONE, and you have to start all over. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gif

I think if we clamor loud enough, they can make a fix that will preserve what you typed in the form when it rejects the login/password...

I will start the clamoring:

*** Fix it please! ***

The board is made by

Ultimate Bulletin Board

© Infopop Corporation, 1999

This message has been edited by b3fiend on 07-07-2001 at 10:51 PM

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

b3friend,

I did that with short posts. It still drives me up a wall. I didnt want to do it but at the top of the page, click on preferences, at the bottom of the preference page there is a check box. It says it will store your username and password for one year and automatically fill it in for you. My only concern is somebody impersonating me and getting me kicked off this board or something. Oh well!

"Let It Be!"

Also if you hit your tab button, the window disappears with everything you just typed for the last half hour. On a lengthy post, I'll pause & select all the text & copy it to my clipboard. Also, I do this before before I post it. So if I Boo Boo, I can just paste it back in.

------------------

Steve

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Funny, when I do that I just click the Back button, and the post is still there.

B3Fiend: Are you using Netscape or IE? PC or Mac?

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Yeah, It`s realy a pain to see that happening especialy if you are bad in english as I am and you have to remember all that spelling that is allready incorect. I realy lost some good posts too.

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Originally posted by kcbass:

b3friend,

[...]click on preferences, at the bottom of the preference page there is a check box. It says it will store your username and password for one year and automatically fill it in for you. [...]

I do this at home to alleviate it, but when I am using other computers, I don't save it... too risky.

-Gregg

Originally posted by joegerardi:

Funny, when I do that I just click the Back button, and the post is still there.

B3Fiend: Are you using Netscape or IE? PC or Mac?

IE 5.5 on WinME at home

IE 5.5 on Win2000 at work. (not that I make posts here at work or anything) ;-)

I wonder if the History settings can be changed to deal with it... I change the default for IE to have it check for a fresh copy of the page every time the page is loaded.

-Gregg

This message has been edited by b3fiend on 07-09-2001 at 01:23 AM

Originally posted by smedis:

I copy my texts just because of this.

It has previously been discussed in Craigs forum:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001312.html

Look there for details.

Wow. In these posts, The developers basically blame it on the browser. This really makes no sense, especially for a commercial product. You really should never require the user to hit their back button as a part of the design of the website navigation.

I'm gonna stretch beyond the scope of discussing keyboards here, but I've done my share of web development, and this is pretty straightforward to fix. Hopefully the right people are listening.

Instead of relying on the user to hit their 'back' button to correct the mistake, they should generate a new page with the post in the field preserved, and give an option to re-enter the username/pass fields.

Think of when you buy something online. If you make an error in a field on the page where you fill in your order details, they regenerate the original form page with all of the fields preserved, then give you an error message with a pointer on what fields to fix.

This is only browser-specific by design. It should be fixed.

-Gregg

Gregg:

Hmmm. I'm using Nutscrape and that doesn't happen. When I hit the back key, the box still contains the message.

Betcha it's an issue with Internet Exploder...

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 07-09-2001 at 07:24 AM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by joegerardi:

Betcha it's an issue with Internet Exploder...

Nope. I don't have that problem, and I use IE. Maybe the Mac version protects me...

I do get the entire post deleted if I accidentally hit the clear button, though...I have also gotten in the habit of periodically saving when I do long posts.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I've posted on several UBB boards for over 2.5 years now and have only had this problem on the MP forums. For some reason when you hit 'back' on your browser (I use both Netscrape and IE), it reloads (refreshes) the entire page...maybe they have it set up this way in order to present more banner ads but I know it's unnecessary.

Just my experience and I could be wrong about the reload necesity http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 07-09-2001 at 03:30 PM

I'm using IE with the groovy Neoplanet shell, with a "ye olde pirate chest" skin. (The way Neoplanet handles file downloads is excellent IMO)

I lose the message if I don't type UserName first, and refreshing creates a double post.

Internet Explorer on PC?

-CB

Archived