Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Seven Corners"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are attempting to compile a CD's worth of material submitted by members of this forum.

In order to do this, we have posted the entries for consideration and evaluation by all of the members of the forum, whether or not they have contributed a piece.

The entries can be found at this web site:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/261/the_keyboard_corner.html

Please go there, and evaluate the piece called "Seven Corners", submitted by Carlo Mezzanotte (Marino). Please post your comments on that tune in this thread. This link will take you directly to this piece.

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, so much variety on this Comp...this is refreshing very fun...I especially like the melody part...

I listened to this song about 2 hours ago and I can still sing the main theme in my head, catchy and 'heady' at the same time. Really cool toward the end of the song when you add a harmony part to the melody.

Percussion is really good...I might have mixed it with a bit more bottom but it's played wonderfully.

The only "problems" I'm hearing are in the mix but I'll have to listen again on another system to be sure what was bothering me about it. Whatever it was it's minor...overall EXCELLENT job!

Wow! Excellent! A-plus! This is a very exciting piece! It reminds me of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones with Josef Zawinul sitting in on keys. This piece works well because its complexity doesn't get in the way of its spirit. It very fun to listen to! Great job!!!!

This message has been edited by dansouth@yahoo.com on 07-03-2001 at 08:29 PM

Ok, I listened to it again, so here it goes my edited review...

As I said in "Angel of The Odd" tune, this song also took me immediately to other place... this time I know it was somewhere between Asia, North Africa and Europe...

Perhaps my musical training -actually the lack of it- did not allow me to understand it immediately as I did with "Notes", "July 4th", "Kelly's Garden" or "Identity Crisis", some more commercial tunes.

I liked Dan's Fugue a lot too since I really like to listen to Bach... but this one seemed a little bit complex -and new- to me to understand at a first glance.

It is the first time I met a tune like this, regarding its rhythm context, its sounds mixture (Synths, Piano and that wind instrument combined sounds amazing!) and folk mood. Sounds even a little Jazzy ! ... my gosh...

It really is an excellent performance, very creative -most of all for these "pop" times- and same thing like Dan's tune, it is nice to hear composers of this kind of music nowadays.

Now I do fully Understand MARINO when he asked "Where are the Pro's" ...

I'm nicely surprised with this one ! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I have a new one to show to my friends...

------------------

Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

This message has been edited by GusTraX on 07-04-2001 at 12:14 PM

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

ahhh, I really like those who play on anything but steady 4/4.

It gives a more interesting "glow" to it.

As said above I'm also impressed by the diverity of all the contributions.

It also inspires me and give me ideas I wouldn't have thought of.

Nice tune, thank you.

------------------

--Smedis,--

I hear Prog rock all over this one, with an ethnic slant. Very complex. I really like the piano backing to the melody with it peaking out & answering to it. Interesting choice of sound for the melody. Wicked playing & flow. I could play this time signature but I certainly couldn't get my brain around trying to construct one of these on the computer. Great ending & a great job!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

This is another song that is innovative, well produced, takes you on a ride... and points out that there's no home on the radio dial for these kind of works.

It's just so sad that more people can't experience this sort of music instead of the drivel that they get bombarded with... (ok enough of the "bad radio rant" Doh!)

I remember as a teenager spending hours "noodling" on a keyboard and stumbling on what I later referred to as the "middle east" sounding scale pattern... I remember later learning it was call Phrygian or something... (sorry for the "hacked" spelling)... (isn't it based on a flat third?), but I was always interested in the sound of this scale and obviously it's used here very well.

You mentioned on the notes on the mp3 page that you had no elements of jazz in this song. I guess my definition of jazz is more inclusive than yours, because I would put this firmly in the Jazz-fusion genre and could imagine this coming from the mind of a Chick Corea or someone...

As I've said before, I would LOVE to play some guitar lines on top of these kind of rhythms... but don't have the programming skill to do a good job writing the parts in midi... If you should ever want to collaborate send me an e-mail at acousticvoodoo@yahoo.com and let's talk!

guitplayer

------------------

http://www.mp3.com/acousticvoodoo

Guitar Forum CD Info

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000537.html

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Wow, guys, thanks a lot for your kind words. At first I didn't even notice the thread about my own song! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif Things run fast at the Keyboard Corner... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Percussion is really good...I might have mixed it with a bit more bottom but it's played wonderfully.

The only "problems" I'm hearing are in the mix but I'll have to listen again on another system to be sure what was bothering me about it. Whatever it was it's minor...overall EXCELLENT job!

Very true, Steve... You listened right. While I was in the initial recording stages of this tune, my mixer broke down and forced me to finish it in another studio. It was a nightmare. We recorded the pecussion on late evening, them mixed/mastered till four in the morning. Everybody was exhausted. Massimo Carrano is a great percussionist in Mediterranean and North African styles, but he didn't expect such a complex tune. We mixed on a totally different system from mine, and when a few days later I listened again to it on a couple of Genelecs - the big ones - in a studio where I'm used to work, it was a total shock! Since this piece has no bass part, it would need a bass boost in the percussion... But the big JBLs I mixed on were too forgiving in that area.

Also, it lacks transparency in the mids, and the melody is a bit too "in face" for my tastes. But it was great fun to do it after all, and besides I don't have time right now to remix it.

Since then, I've played the thing live as a keyboard solo (minus all the countermelodies, of course), and it's good fun. People screamed at the end! (and me too!!) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

marino

Wow, diggin the world beat and mixed meters!!! Trippy! Nice, professional sound! Maybe just a tad more bottom, but it's certainly nothing to moan about.

VERY slick stuff! Challenging and complex!!

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Well, I didn't mean to be so self-critical. OK, the recording was difficult, but I really had fun. You know, in the Balkans and especially in Bulgaria, people use to DANCE this kind of rhythms! About two years ago, I put my eyes on a Bulgarian method for accordion, with lot of exercises on how to play dance rhythms in odd signatures! Like 7, 9, 11, 13.. It was written in Russian, but it was totally covered with written musical examples, so it wasn't too hard to follow. So my intention was to write... well, not exactly a dance piece... more like a *dancing* piece. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by b_3guy:

I hear Prog rock all over this one, with an ethnic slant.

You're absolutely right. I started with prog, and I still like to play strange ostinatos with my left hand. But there's more to it: There is a whole movement of new Mediterranean music, that borrows a little from the traditions of every country around the sea, from Morocco and Spain to Greece and Turkey. I feel very much a part of it, for the little I can contribute. My group Indaco is touring a lot, sold 60.000 CDs in Italy alone (not bad for being on an indie), got the interest of a couple of majors (wish me luck), and I'm preparing a CD as a leader with music of this fashion.

Yes, it feels a bit schizoid to also have a jazz life (of sorts), but on the other hand I'm also doing several other different things, like writing for TV... Yes, I enjoy the diversity of all this.

BTW I really wanted the North African percussions on this piece; with a standard drum set, it would have sounded too "prog rock" to me.

Again, thanks everyone for your comments. Keep'em coming, they're really appreciated!

marino

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

It reminds me of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones with Josef Zawinul sitting in on keys.

Ha ha ha...!! Joe is the best. And speaking of "odd collaborations"... a couple of months ago he came to a small village on the south of Italy and gathered all the players and dancers of the Pizzica (a very ancient fast dance) and improvised with them all night. A musical explosion!

Originally posted by marino:

got the interest of a couple of majors (wish me luck)

Stay independent. The Bare Naked Ladies sold over 100,000 of their first release independently. As the say people spend the first half of their careers trying to get record deal & the 2nd half trying to get out of it. Congratulations on 60,000. Good luck on the next 60,000!!!!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Neato. Lovely melody, esp. in the harmonized sections. I'm not sure what to say that hasn't already been said. As someone said, it does have the markings of prog rock, but without the dramatic point at which the "ethnic" groove would explode into arena rock bombastics...thank god. great work. One of my favorites thus far.

Magpel

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

Neato. Lovely melody, esp. in the harmonized sections.

Well, for a minute I had the perverse idea of putting actual words on this melody, and have it sung in some kind of a Gipsy style, including the harmonized parts. But the task of teaching a singer a fast melody in 7/8 would have delayed the completion of the piece another month or two http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif , so it stayed instrumental...

Originally posted by b_3guy:

Stay independent. The Bare Naked Ladies sold over 100,000 of their first release independently. As the say people spend the first half of their careers trying to get record deal & the 2nd half trying to get out of it. Congratulations on 60,000. Good luck on the next 60,000!!!!

Maybe you're right: We're thinking about this now. On the other hand, THEY called us, so we'll see what kind of contract they'll put on the table...

About that 60,000 - I know it's nothing for the USA. But the Italian market is the most stagnant of all Western Europe, and we don't play any kind of pop/rock, so 60,000 copies without a real distribution (only a few stores, and after-concert sales) is quite an achievement for us.

marino

This message has been edited by marino on 07-06-2001 at 06:42 PM

Better late than never. I finally got a chance to download and listen to the cd compilation tunes this weekend. It was pretty awe inspiring. I am still on a high about the great talent we have rubbing shoulders here.

Love this tune. Strong melody. The rhythmic complexity of the whole thing is great. Even the details like the slight pitchbending of the sax-style synth complements the north african aspect of the tune. This reminds of somebody like Dave Brubeck on steroids. Wonderful work marino. I'll be playing this a lot.

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Originally posted by Tusker:

Love this tune. Strong melody. The rhythmic complexity of the whole thing is great.

Well, my original idea was even a bit more complex... It was the percussionist's idea to superimpose a 7/4 groove even to the parts that are actually in 7/8. He was probably right; the rhythm "walks" smoother this way.

Even the details like the slight pitchbending of the sax-style synth complements the north african aspect of the tune. This reminds of somebody like Dave Brubeck on steroids. Wonderful work marino. I'll be playing this a lot.

Thanks a lot Jerry! Actually, the pitchbending is a combination of wheel, breath control and velocity-controlled envelopes, in very slight amounts. I did this to try to have as little repetition as possible in the articulation of notes.

marino

Archived