Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My first big concert, please adivse...

Faruk

Guys, help me out as you allways do...

On 25th of july there is international festival of elctronic music in Sarajevo called "Futura", and it`s a realy big festival internationl festival, even some guys from American continents are coming.

My band got and invitation to play the only live act on this festival. It will happen` on the House floor, midnight. I know we will get good sound check and setup time, but I have tons of questions...

First, I know that sound scape will not be a clasic one: everything banging forward - the sound will be distributed from the boxes all around the concert hall - that`s one more data - festival is indoor - 8-10000 of visitors expected on this floor per night.

I asked only one monitor box - was I correct? Personally I think that more than one could confuse me on stage and it`s one more thing that could go wrong.

When I play with my band in our basement, I`m connected mono wise and sounds are good. Should I connect mono on stage, or should I use two snakes (sounds are not bad stereo too)?

I choosed to go on stage only with my CS2X Yamaha, sence everything I did was on it, and not to bother with borrowing another synth or even workstation and to play on it too. (that`s what some other keyboard players here advised me) Am I right?

Is a Direct box for long snakes essential? If I need it is it personal gear, or I can order it as back line equipment? What other backline equipment should I ask for? (Festival is well suplied)

Should I use some HiFi amplyfier or should I go directly?

What should I do with my sounds? What to do with effects? Touch response - mix relations? What spare parts and equipment should I bring with me? How many beers before gig? How many eggs for breakfast? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

What are other things I should be aware of?

Sorry for this long list of questions, but this will be my baptisam of fire, my first big concert http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif . Guys please answer at least some of them.

Thanks in a million.

Faruk

This message has been edited by Faruk on 07-02-2001 at 05:24 PM

Fat But Fast

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the words of Rosanne Rosanna Dana "You sure ask a lot of questions".

I've played for 4 and I've played for 40,000 people. I set my sound up the same alla time.

1.I use my amp as a monitor only. I don't expect my audience to hear it, nor do I worry about weather they can or cannot. It's for my ears and maybe my mates onstage only.

2. No reverb. When playing live, you don't need it. If you do need it, the house engineer should provide it. Other special effects (chorus, phaser et al) are part of your sound so use them as you see fit.

3. If you are particular about your sound (as I am) you'll want to make your own mix. Get yourself a keyboard mixer and send the results striaght to the PA as a MONO signal. Use stereo in the studio, mono onstage.

4. Make sure that you have a volume pedal for your monitor/amp. You'll find yourself adjusting volume alot during perfomance. You don't want to have to adjust volume with your fingers because they'll be too busy playing. If the engineer knows your solos then make sure it's hooked up to your monitor only, the engineer will/should be able to adjust your presense for the crowd's mix. If you're doing all original material or unfamiliar tunes, you might want to hook up another volume control (I use a home made volume shelf) for solos. Talk to the sound person before you play and find out if he knows your material.

5. Use only the equipment you are famiiar with, you don't want to have to start learning the quirks of someone else's boards on the fly. Since you said you only use one board, than you should only use that one board. (If you do only use a single board, you can forget about getting a mixer)

Originally posted by Faruk:

I asked only one monitor box - was I correct? Personally I think that more than one could confuse me on stage and it`s one more thing that could go wrong.

In the sound check up, just make sure you are satisfied with what you hear... that's it. Create your mini-world at there... be comfortable. Feel like home !

When I play with my band in our basement, I`m connected mono wise and sounds are good. Should I connect mono on stage, or should I use two snakes (sounds are not bad stereo too)?

If the sounds you always use are MONO, keep them MONO. Do not experiment with stereo right now or you could be missing -or adding- something to your original sound that could not be exactly good.

I choosed to go on stage only with my CS2X Yamaha, sence everything I did was on it, and not to bother with borrowing another synth or even workstation and to play on it too. (that`s what some other keyboard players here advised me) Am I right?

Yes.. same thing. Feel like home at the stage. You know your axe. If you get another synth that could be cool but get it BEFORE gig time and spend some time knowing it. You know, patch locations, sensitivity, keys weight...

Is a Direct box for long snakes essential? If I need it is it personal gear, or I can order it as back line equipment? What other backline equipment should I ask for? (Festival is well suplied)

D Boxes are essential for usage with snakes since that means long distances. House Engineers should have EVERYTHING you need. I mean, you should take your power cord (if it's detachable), pedals, stand (if possible for you) and perhaps the line cables. I guess the sound guys have everything from your synths outputs to their PA, including Direct Boxes.

Use it as home. If at home you go first to a Amplifier then microphone it, go that way. This is specially important if your amplyfier adds some color or distortion to your sound. If not, get straight to the snake and ask House Engineers to send you a signal via a speaker monitor.

How many eggs for breakfast? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Depending on European costumes... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Regarding the FX of your synth, I'd suggest you to use you synths FX in this gig. WHY? Surely many are asking why... Because surely the House Engineer does NOT know you music. If you allow him to add FX to your sounds he could modify seriously your patches and that could be a good or a terrible thing... unless you do a test of it during sound check up... but be very aware...

* Have Fun

* Dress properly... and comfortably.

* Take some CD's of your band for your fans

* Smile for every single picture taken

* Don't Panic

* Have Fun

* Send us some picures !!!

Congratulations...

------------------

Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

About effects:

Synth patches are often drenched in effects, especially reverb, and that usually doesn't sound too good in a live situation. What I do is programming the effects myself for every sound, then use that. I tell the sound man not to add any more reverb or whatever, I only allow for a bit of EQ if necessary to compensate for the place's acoustic. To have the same generic reverb on all of your sounds can be disastrous for your sound, so my advice would be to go with the onboards. Only, try to be conservative on reverb sends and times.

Have a great time

marino

Thanks guys. It seems that only problem I have here are onboard effects. I think I will take "the middle way" - I will lower the reverb amounts, but not to zero, and I will tell sound engineer not to cover me with any effects at all.

One more question poped up: Should I ask my EQ to be at zero position?

Faruk

Fat But Fast

One should be fine for most applications.

I prefer stereo on stage. It depends on what your ear wants to hear...I actually like one speaker in front of me, and one behind me...I carried a JBL Cabaret wedge and matching 2 way cabinet, and put the wedge directly in front of my rig, and the cabinet directly behind me. Great effect...

Sounds like you are...if you're comfortable, and can do everything that you want, then you're fine.

I don't know the logistics of the festival, but if it's as big as you say, I'm guessing that they 'll probably DI you on their own.

I hate going direct - you have no control over your stage volume.

? How many eggs for breakfast? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

No eggs - raw red meat only! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

The most important one - have fun! Enjoy yourself, and don't worry! It's the most important thing...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Thanks Dave.

(Hope I dont get the "mad cow desease" from lots of raw red meet http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )

Faruk

This message has been edited by Faruk on 07-05-2001 at 06:21 PM

Fat But Fast

About the volume pedal advice...that's sooo important. Well, at least for my gigs. But after stubbornly sticking to a midi volume pedal for my controller, I think I'm going to get a couple of real volume pedals. The midi ones just isn't accurate enough. I find myself adjusting the sensitivity of them too many times. Any suggestions on good audio volume pedals?

Raul

Raul

About the volume pedal advice...that's sooo important. Well, at least for my gigs. But after stubbornly sticking to a midi volume pedal for my controller, I think I'm going to get a couple of real volume pedals. The midi ones just isn't accurate enough. I find myself adjusting the sensitivity of them too many times.

Any suggestions on good audio volume pedals? I haven't bought them yet because of several gigs where my fellow keyboardist have had trouble with them being noisy and having connector problems and such. But maybe if they're well made and taken good care of....

Raul

Raul

Archived