Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

simple problem- Alesis SR16 to SBAWE64 gold

stuffdogginc

My soundcard, Soundblaster AWE 64 gold, has a dumb midi in/out joystick port. I have this connected to the midi out/thru of the SR16. I have the midi in of the SR16 connected to a midi controller (evolution mk-125) which only has a midi out. The Cakewalk settings are

send midi start/continue/stop/clock

use start, never continue

use midi start position pointer

The clock is also set to midi sync.

My Alesis settings are midi channel????(I was using midi omni in order to use the evolution midi controller but the midi thru doesnt respond when I do this)

Drum in on V1 (velocity sensitive)

Drum out Off (hmmm...)

Clock in is on

Clock out is off

midi thru in on

prg chng is on

note map is on normal

The desired result is, I want cakewalk to be the master, controlling the SR16, and still be able to have other tracks on the cake play midi, specific to a channel other than 10. The other tracks contain midi which will control soundfonts. Also there are audio tracks in the mix too. I want to have the midi data, as well as the audio recording from the SR16, visible on the cake so I can manipulate the data using cake's functionality, etc. and record the respective audio to a cakewalk track. Am I too idealistc? I know I'm too confused. Please help.

HIP HOP DONT STOP!!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well.... for one thing, you can't expect CakeWalk to be able to control the SR-16 if you don't have it plugged into the MIDI "IN" port on the SR-16..... sounds like you're expecting the MIDI info to run both ways??? Anyway, in order for the SR-16 (or any other device) to be controlled by CakeWalk (Or any other MIDI program/device/etc)... the "out" on the controlling device (the computer in this case) must be connected to the "in" on the SR-16 (or whatever else you're controlling), make sense???

So... you want to be able to control the SR-16's playing from CakeWalk, correct??? Basically, program a drum beat from your keyboard controller into the computer.... then edit it with CakeWalk.... then have the SR-16 play what CakeWalk has recorded.... then record the audio output from the SR-16????? Is that all correct????? If so... try this setup.......

Take the OUT cable from your computer and hook it to the IN port on the SR-16.... then take the IN cable from your computer and hook it to the OUT port on your keyboard controller..... now.. You should be able to record a drum beat using the keyboard into any one of CakeWalk's MIDI tracks... then play the MIDI track and send the info OUT to the SR-16... The "clock in" and "Drum in" should be on.... I believe the MIDI channel should be set to 10. Everything else doesn't matter, because you don't have anything coming out of the SR-16.. don't hook up ANY cables to the MIDI OUT of the SR-16.............

Then you can run the audio output from the SR-16 back to your computer's line input and..... VOILA!! Problem solved... hopefully, tell me if this doesn't work.

------------------

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son; that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This message has been edited by KeyboardFreak on 06-12-2001 at 08:31 PM

Originally posted by stuffdogginc:

The desired result is, I want cakewalk to be the master, controlling the SR16, and still be able to have other tracks on the cake play midi, specific to a channel other than 10. The other tracks contain midi which will control soundfonts. Also there are audio tracks in the mix too. I want to have the midi data, as well as the audio recording from the SR16, visible on the cake so I can manipulate the data using cake's functionality, etc. and record the respective audio to a cakewalk track. Am I too idealistc? I know I'm too confused. Please help.

Hi !!

First

For playing "SoundFonts" you have to select in CAKEWALK a DIFFERENT MIDI PORT to play them (SB MIDI Synth) than the actual MIDI port which goes thru the MIDI cable to your external hardware. So it will not be important if you play tracks in any desired channel if your soundfonts and your SR16 are being driven by a different controller (MIDI port).

( OPTIONS ---> MIDI DEVICES )

Second:

This is HOW TO MIDI CHAIN your rig:

1) SB MIDI IN goes to MK-125 Out

2) SB MIDI OUT goes to SR16 IN

This way you can play SoundFonts AND SR16 sounds from your controller. Just select in CAKEWALK desired channel (by clicking over it), port and MIDI Channel and start playing or recording.

Third

SR16 has a "drum sound module" mode which enables you to have up to 61(don't remeber if more?) drum sounds available at once by sending via midi a MAP of various presets at once in the same MIDI channel. Those preset locations MUST be empty of recorded data to work properly. Read your owner's manual...

After that, You will see it has no sense to program rhythm tracks in the SR16 and synchonize them to Cakewalk.

Fourth

As soon as you get a complete drum track from your SR16, cakewalk will allow you to connect the SR16's outputs (stereo) to SB's Inputs, then record the audio and after that, you could play it "n'sync" with your midi tracks... or even route internally the soundfonts tracks to audio record for the same thing...

Hope this helps...

GusTraX

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

Hi !!

First

For playing "SoundFonts" you have to select in CAKEWALK a DIFFERENT MIDI PORT to play them (SB MIDI Synth) than the actual MIDI port which goes thru the MIDI cable to your external hardware. So it will not be important if you play tracks in any desired channel if your soundfonts and your SR16 are being driven by a different controller (MIDI port).

( OPTIONS ---> MIDI DEVICES )

Second:

This is HOW TO MIDI CHAIN your rig:

1) SB MIDI IN goes to MK-125 Out

2) SB MIDI OUT goes to SR16 IN

This way you can play SoundFonts AND SR16 sounds from your controller. Just select in CAKEWALK desired channel (by clicking over it), port and MIDI Channel and start playing or recording.

I have joystick port for the soundcard midi port ( it dual purposes on my card, I know its obsolete and absurd, but can I live with it?). I'd have to find some sory of Y-conector to do something like that, or a new soundcard, or a midi something or other to split it into an in and out.

HIP HOP DONT STOP!!!

I have joystick port for the soundcard midi port ( it dual purposes on my card, I know its obsolete and absurd, but can I live with it?). I'd have to find some sory of Y-conector to do something like that, or a new soundcard, or a midi something or other to split it into an in and out.

Those cables are pretty standard and easy to find. They are known as "Midi Cable for SoundCards". Check out This Link to see what does MIDIMAN.com has to offer...

I do actually work with a Sound Blaster Live! and use MIDI through one of those Midi/Joysick ports... it is no problem for me...

GusTraX

www.guslozada.com

that's a cool cable! My cable (the one that came with my sound card didn't come with such a cable. It was only o connection on each end. Is there a way that I can use the SR16 to the computer, bypassing the midi controller? If so I would do that, and swap cables when using the alternate device. Does that make sense?
HIP HOP DONT STOP!!!

• 1 month later...
I just wanted to let everyone know that I solved my problem by accident. I upgraded to Cakewalk's new program "Sonar". It has a loop constuction view that I found most handy. I now dont need to sync myself! I just sample myself into SoundForge 4.5 and let the loop constuction view auto time stretch or whatever it does to make it fit. Once I get it that far I split the sample into measures and use the fills as variations or whatever. Also I'd like to do a brief advertisement. Sonar is better! Thank you for you time.
HIP HOP DONT STOP!!!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I solved my problem by accident. I upgraded to Cakewalk's new program "Sonar". It has a loop constuction view that I found most handy. I now dont need to sync myself! I just sample myself into SoundForge 4.5 and let the loop constuction view auto time stretch or whatever it does to make it fit. Once I get it that far I split the sample into measures and use the fills as variations or whatever. Also I'd like to do a brief advertisement. Sonar is better! Thank you for you time.

THAT was a better solution... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Congrats !... and welcome to loop based production...

------------------

Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

www.guslozada.com