Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Touch me...

Dave Bryce

I forgot one of my all time favorites - Walking In Memphis by Marc Cohn.

Honorable mention: It's not a song, but the soundtrack to Romeo Is Bleeding puts me on an emotional roller coaster.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh. If I start I dont know where will I end. You know guys, I`m very emotionaly tied to music, allmost every song I hear starts something in me, but I`ll give it a try and choose something.

Lovesong bu Cure - it`s just great love song

Mama by Genesis - mama, oh mama

Sky by Faith No More - I adore it

Sign your name by Terennce Trent D`Arby

Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits - It was my unit`s favourite during the war

Father Figure by George Michael

I guess it`s enough for now. If I remember anything else I`ll get back to this.

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Jim Croce's 'I Got a Name'

Peter Gabriel's 'Mercy Street'

Billy Joel's 'Everybody Has A Dream'

Roy Buchanan's 'The Messiah Will Come Again' (instrumental)

Elton John's 'Someone Saved My Life Tonight'

This message has been edited by murph on 05-27-2001 at 07:27 PM

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

Radiohead-

How to disappear completely

You and Whose army?

Exit music for a film

Paranoid Android

Creep

NIN-

Ruiner

Eraser

Hurt

The Fragile

Something I can never have

The way out is through

Hurt (and SEVERAL others)

Sorted others-

Adagio for strings (barber?)

In dreams (roy orbison)

You look so fine (garbage)

Coma white and Man that you fear(marilyn manson)

Mysterons, Roads and Sour times (portishead)

In the air tonight (phil collins)

Third Eye (tool)

Orestes (A perfect Circle)

Black Sabbath and Hand of Doom (Black Sabbath)

At the heart of it all and Next Heap with (Aphex Twin)

I'm sure there are a lot more, and there are some I'm too embarassed to list http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I resisted bringing this up at first because it's such a downer, but this is the perfect thread for it, so here goes;

Saturday (5/26) was my son Joel's birthday. He would have been 7 this year, but unfortunately we lost him to SIDS when he was just 10 months old. At his memorial Eric Clapton's "Tears In Heaven" was playing and I knew how Eric felt when he was writing it. A more heartfelt song I've never heard. Here in Vegas I occasionally get requests to play it, and to this day, I can hardly play it (much less sing it) without choking up a bit. Happy birthday, Joel! Miss ya, buddy...

Before I kill this thread, I guess I'd better throw in a few happy notes. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Rosanna by Toto-just try to sit still listening to this one!

Celebration by Kool and the Gang-ditto

Breakfast At Igor's by Spyro Gyra (the live version)-ditto again

Out Of Town by the Yellowjackets- I actually got a speeding ticket once while listening to this one as I was cruising down the freeway!

Peace all,

Steve

This message has been edited by SWBuck1074@aol.com on 05-28-2001 at 05:34 AM

><>

Steve

One of the most amazing CD's I've heard in a long time is a rock opera called "The Shaming of the True" by Kevin Gilbert. This work was finished and released by his friends after his untimely death. I really don't have the words to describe this CD. But if you ever get the chance, get the CD, sit down and listen to it from beginning to end uninterrupted. For more information on this CD and Kevin Gilbert visit www.kevingilbert.com

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

"The Gates of Delirium" from "Relayer" by "Yes"

It's a 21:50 minute piece of great music.

A small part of the lyrics:

Listen should we fight forever

Knowing as we do know

Fear destroys

Listen should we leave our children

Listen our lives stare in silence

Help us now

This music is the ultimate music for me, done in 1974.

Peace to you all.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

takin it to the streets always got me where i live. "you don't know me but i'm your brother, you will find me everywhere." so much of what's happening these days seems to be about forgetting our fellow man. for me, growing up poor, but rich in love and community, something in that tune spoke to me. now i'm affluent, and rich in love and community, but still feel that tune. plus, such a great groove with beautiful changes. tears in heaven makes me cry. steve, a prayer for you and your family. my greatest fears are all about my children.

i think this is a good place to say that i think procul harum's whiter shade of pale is a really great lyric and haunting melody even though i have no idea what it means.

and i have been remembering recently that some of the most beatiful music in the world is the four last songs of richard strauss. used to listen to it every day. also like to mention la boheme, the third act. adio, senza rancor. ahh, yes, love through TB. and one last one, the music from the movie Diva, in particular the aria. somebody help my lousy memory. french composer. not a big opera composer, but this aria is gorgeous. i can hear the opening melody, descending line, sumptuous song. soaring climax. wicked good movie too, if you haven't seen it.

it's tempting here to describe performances of music i otherwise wouldn't know. Dutoit conducting the Montreal S.O. in a Boulez tribute. the orchestra sitting in a huge circle in Boston's Symphony Hall. hard to describe. Horowitz at symphony hall for what was the last time. very touching. hearing levine conducting in new york. but i'm getting boring i imagine, so i'll quit.

This message has been edited by KidCharlemagne on 05-30-2001 at 09:43 PM

Okay I'll post on this one too:

"Someday We'll All Be Free" by Donny Hathaway- a wonderful song by an incredible singer

"Quiet City" by Aaron Copland- not the Marsalis version, the "Copland Conducts Copland" version is much better. This piece will grow on you. Great!!

"Pavane" by Maurice Ravel

I know soon as a click "submit reply" I'll think of several others.

hum

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Took awhile to narrow this down to a coherent list, so here goes:

"Watercolour Ponies", "A Place For You" and "Blessed Are", all recorded by Wayne Watson. (Read the thread on what we're listening to and you'll know who he is.....). Wonderful songs about children and the less fortunate that are powerfully recorded.

Amy Grant's "Heirlooms" started as a Christmas song, but goes way past December. And the vocal part is in my range. I wanna sing this with the St. Louis Symphony and Michael W. Smith on piano before I die...

Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring" continues to amaze me, but then I'm easily impressed....Mr. C.'s own recording from 1959, remastered by BMG, is still the best I've heard.

Liz Story's "Things With Wings" is the most fun you can legally have with a piano.

Any song by my band Drastic:

Way Back Home, 6 ft. Under

'Til Death Do Us Part

The Edge of the Knife

'Death Takes No Holidays

Lady in Funeral Black

These are some of our more uplifting songs(not death metal, just heavy, hard rock). All were written for all of the friends that we once knew: dead or alive, imprisoned or not. Sometimes, reality sucks. I've lost a brother and two High School friends in 1983 in Michigan, two days after I returned from a combat tour(Operation Urgent Fury)in Grenada with the 82nd ABN DIV. That's irony.

I guess it's just good to have a night or two out with the boys in the band to jam. May not make much money, nor have any claim to fame, except locally, but our second album is in the works. Not bad for a second or third hobby, other than replacing Alesis gear that craps out(just kidding)

One of the unmentioned trolls in the 3 Billy Goats Gruff:

dennis122761

Originally posted by bwilcox@hcarchitects.com:

"Watercolour Ponies", "A Place For You" and "Blessed Are", all recorded by Wayne Watson.

Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring"

Copland's awesome musical picture; a great listen!!....as for Wayne Watson, his 'FINE LINE'CD is still the best. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------

Big Dave

Big Dave

Hmmmm... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

James Taylor - GAIA and Letter In The Mail

Billy Joel - Baby Grand

Sting - Shape Of My Heart

Katthult - Weaker

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator"

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

• 9 months later...

Like many here, the list's _way_ too long to even begin, so just off the top of my heart at the moment:

1. B.B. King's "Live in Cook County Jail." Have it on LP, it was scritchy-scratchy when I bought it new when it came out, is scritchy-scratchy still, is "there" like few other recordings I have, of any sort.

2. Schubert's "Winterreise," specifically with Fischer-Dieskau (sp?) singing. Hope that recording is still available in some form.

3. Herbie Hancock, "Sextant" -- "Head Hunters" was the break-out, of course, in '73, got that first but then a friend suggested the one before... just amazing, jazz at the crossroads. When I heard this I thought the future might actually happen some day. Still waiting.

4. The Tractors, "Fast Girl" -- but that's just for personal reasons... I guess. I think it's really great, though! :D

5. Lou Reed, "Ecstasy" -- like others above, he's done a lot of stuff, and there's a lot of other rock around, but this, for me, is the quintessential electric guitar album. Love for that sound and you can hear it in every song.

Then, about a MILLION others....

rt

In the order that they are occuring to me:

Morphine - Gone for Good

Alice in Chains - Don\'t Follow

Blue Rodeo - After the Rain

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Life by the Drop :cry:

Sam Cooke - A Change Gonna Come Great scene near the end of Malcom X, this song plays and I just wanna bawl :cry::cry::cry:

There must be a reason all these songs are at or near the end of the album

i'm leaving out keyboard/piano players Ben Folds Five - Mess

Originally posted by SWBuck1074@aol.com:

Saturday (5/26) was my son Joel's birthday. He would have been 7 this year, but unfortunately we lost him to SIDS when he was just 10 months old. At his memorial Eric Clapton's "Tears In Heaven" was playing and I knew how Eric felt when he was writing it. A more heartfelt song I've never heard. >

I'll second that, and thanks for sharing. I had an uncle who died at the age of 43 about 5 years ago. We played that at his memorial too. But right after that came Old Time Rock & Roll by Bob Seger :thu:

Here's mine for sharing:

1. JS Bach - Cello Suite No 1 in G BMV 1007: 1. Prelude (performed by Jaap ter Linden)

2. Chaka Khan - Love Me Still

3. Sting - My One And Only Love

4. Ennio Morricone - Cinema Paradiso

5. Luis Bacalov - The Postman (Track 23 from Il Postino soundtrack)

6. Jamiroquai - Space Cowboy (where did this come from??!) :D

"Little Bit of Snow" by Howard Jones (I can't even think about it)

"East Hampton Suite" by Vince Dicola (Does anyone, particularly in the LA area, know Vince? He went to my high school in Pennsylvania. He scored "Stayin' Alive" among others. Perhaps someone out there knows what he's up to?

"Ev'ry time We Say Goodbye"-the Annie Lennox version from Red Hot + Blue

"What the Pillar of Salt Held Up" by American Music Club/Mark Eitzel

Steve F

If wishes were omelettes we would all be filled with cheese, AND HAM.

Originally posted by Steve Frederick:

"East Hampton Suite" by Vince Dicola (Does anyone, particularly in the LA area, know Vince? He went to my high school in Pennsylvania. He scored "Stayin' Alive" among others. Perhaps someone out there knows what he's up to?

I know Vince. He's a great guy! He's a ridiculously talented keyboard player. We had him and Jethro Tull drummer Doane Perry do some trade show demos for us at Alesis. I have a few of his discs...

I haven't seen him in about a year and a half, so I don't know what he's up to, though...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Songs that touch the soul ?

Living years by ...mike n the mechanics

how great thou art

Adagio for strings .........samuel barber

god bless the usa ...lee greenwood ...particularily after 09/11 . I remember being out with friends and the entire bar sang along with this song . It was moving .

Tommy by the Who

I have 2 originals that are on the list . dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Bach - Air on the G String.

Yes - Soon (Relayer, I think???)

Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush - Don't Give Up.

Yes - Turn of the Century

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived