Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Dave Bryce

Well....there's no audio clip and the link points to an Mpeg that isn't up anymore.

However the Mpeg that was supposed to be there is hillarious. The "Grape Fall" lady. Poor lady, but still funny.

Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc:

Yoozer, I enjoyed your clips...didn't sound 90s to me...sounded more 80s if anything...regardless, that don't matter, make the music YOU like, screw everyone else. Your piece is a bit too short for any production/writing advice from me so I'll just say I enjoyed your ideas.

Thanks! I have been making mostly of these short clips just to test out certain tricks (like the emulation of a C64, or little sounddesign experiments) ... I haven't made a complete song since early 2002.

Here\'s another bit I made for a videogame remix site . I haven't bothered with making a decent orchestration; my main trick here was to play everything live (the drums are sequenced) and it was more of a lazy 'jam' thing than anything else, but since my brother visits the site almost religiously he wanted me to submit it for approval. Failed, but got a lot of positive comments, so maybe I'll rework it. The original comes from the SNES game "Jurassic Park", which has long fascinated me with its soundtrack and graphics.

Originally posted by dudem:

i agree i was rude, and yoozer im sorry :rolleyes: but ..2 points.

1: i was in a bad mood :evil:

No problem, can happen to all of us.

and

2: im fucking sick "hard house" and "techno". this is coming from a european where we have all gotten bored of ecstacy and the traditional 90s idea of clubbing. :freak:

This is coming from an European who's terribly tired of the cookie-cutter trance, but who has a really hard time figuring out what was actually "hard house" or "techno" about the songs ;) .

if i did like "techno" i would probably like yoozers stuff :thu:
But it doesn't even have a 4-to-the floor 909 stomping beat :confused:

Oh, by the way : if you thought that was techno, here's a handy guide. You might like the acerbic commentary on some of the styles.

yoozer you dutch pratt

the reason i put the so called genres in "quotes" is because I try to avoid genre classifications and use them only when loosly describing a tune.

I am only begining making music but I know what I like to listen to and I know what I hate..

.. and I hate your "music", or should I say "beats".

Maybe in Holland some stoned idiots in tracksuits might like it.. and if they do congratulations, but personally, I expect more from European music.

You asked for feedback so you should be prepared for critisism.

Originally posted by dudem:

[QB]yoozer you dutch pratt

the reason i put the so called genres in "quotes" is because I try to avoid genre classifications and use them only when loosly describing a tune.

Techno and Hard House invoke specific styles. In the first case, a myriad of styles that all somehow rely on the vintage drum machines, with a constantly pounding 4-to-the-floor beat. In the second case, drums that are almost compressed to diamond, sampled preferably from other records, with a massive virtual analog sound that is detuned and drenched in delay or/and reverb.

Hey, nobody's obligated to like my music, but the terms you use for it miss the mark by several miles. Therefore, you might either just say you don't like it, but calling it the wrong name and because of that name not liking it doesn't make any sense. It's like looking at a sportscar and saying "Dear Lord! I can't even -stand- trucks! What an ugly piece of work!".

I am only begining making music but I know what I like to listen to and I know what I hate..

.. and I hate your "music", or should I say "beats".

So be it.

Maybe in Holland some stoned idiots in tracksuits might like it.. and if they do congratulations, but personally, I expect more from European music.
But what I make isn't "European" music. I don't think you can even pin several genres down at 'European music' because there's lots of different stuff coming from every country.

You asked for feedback so you should be prepared for critisism.
I do not recall asking for feedback; the topic said "post your music here". Your 'criticism' could use some work, too; you fail to name anything I could improve on it (which would be called constructive criticism), you resort to name-calling, and as a reason for your harsh reaction you give 1) a bad mood and 2) "hating techno", which my music isn't. Which is why I posted the Music Guide; you can compare what techno is for yourself.

ok yoozer whatever..

if you stay obsessed with genres you will never create anything progressive and outstanding.

i looked up that site and it is a complete joke. hardhouse acid bop trip hop flip flop what fucking ever. no1 cares anymore.

i will let you have the inevitable last word as no doubt you will want, then i will cease taking part in this tit for tat rubbish.

one more thing.. "knowing" about genres and classifications doesnt make you a good artist. it makes you anal.- like somebody who says "thats not a sports car, strictly speaking its a high performance automobile"

...tsput

dudem, we usually comment on a songs production quality, techniques, gear used, etc. Your personal opinion of a song or genre does not constitute "criticism."

Your tone is drastically contradictory to this thread and forum - I suggest your read a couple more posts in order to get a feel for the atmosphere.

Quarryking, as for mixing tips:

Monkey See Monkey Do : the EP is a bit up front and the higher tones might interfere with the singer's lead melody. I'd either compress it using the vocals as a sidechain (to suppress the EP a bit) or EQ the EP in such a way that it sounds a bit more mellow, warmer (maybe even transpose an octave down?) - as opposed to the voice which is a bit thinner. Guitar sounds good. Drums have a bit more roomy ambience; even though this is live and all together, making 'm a bit more dry (no exactly clue on the how here) would let 'm blend in better with the rest, I think.

John 3:16 : the start sounds very warm, as a listener I feel like being enveloped by the music. Bass might be toned down just a little bit; but it contributes to said warmth. Some extra percussion comes in at the right time, but later on the solo guitar comes just a little bit too much up front.

For some reason I couldn't directly download Dalit Girl. The mp3 files ended up as 0-byte files, and I've also tried a wget, but to no avail.

It's not the kind of music I make (or am able to make - don't play guitar) but I hope it's helpful in a way ;) .

Originally posted by Yoozer:

Quarryking, as for mixing tips:

Monkey See Monkey Do : the EP is a bit up front and the higher tones might interfere with the singer's lead melody. I'd either compress it using the vocals as a sidechain (to suppress the EP a bit) or EQ the EP in such a way that it sounds a bit more mellow, warmer (maybe even transpose an octave down?) - as opposed to the voice which is a bit thinner. Guitar sounds good. Drums have a bit more roomy ambience; even though this is live and all together, making 'm a bit more dry (no exactly clue on the how here) would let 'm blend in better with the rest, I think.

John 3:16 : the start sounds very warm, as a listener I feel like being enveloped by the music. Bass might be toned down just a little bit; but it contributes to said warmth. Some extra percussion comes in at the right time, but later on the solo guitar comes just a little bit too much up front.

For some reason I couldn't directly download Dalit Girl. The mp3 files ended up as 0-byte files, and I've also tried a wget, but to no avail.

It's not the kind of music I make (or am able to make - don't play guitar) but I hope it's helpful in a way ;) .

Hey Yoozer,

thanks for givin them tracks a listen and for the comments that's you've posted. Didn't do muhc EQing on the Monkey see...track. Only the voice had a little bit of EQ applied to it. Tried to keep processing down to just the bare minimum. Yeah, your right, the EP could have been a bit warmer

As for John 3:16 track, couple of other folks have made similar comments as well, bout the Gtr. comin on too upfront towards the latter part of the track...what speakers or headphones did u monitor on?

Oh and the "Dalit Girl" track has a bit of a problem ...am workin on it..

Thanks for taking the time to give it a listen

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

Alesis Monitor One MKII's, passive, with the bass turned a bit back (the bass is rather present with 'm, so I consider that setting as 'neutral').

Originally posted by DJDM:

(under the bridge, waiting for the billy goats)

It was rather hard to refrain from feeding it ;) .

I've posted some tunes @ soundclick from some live recordings of gigs that I found. I'm playing the guitar stuff on these.

There's no keys at all on these so I'm not sure if you'd want to hear'em. The tunes are more Blues, soul infuenced rock stuff.

Check it out if you like:

blue4rc tunes

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//wavey.gif Here is another original song I composed recently. It has an orchestral feel to it yet it also combines modern Drum beats into it.

I titled it "Serenade Song" and the sounds are exclusively from my Yamaha Tyros keyboard. The melody voice I am playing are the Tyros' Live! Allegro Strings layered with an Insomnia Pad and in the left hand I am playing the Tyros' JazzChorus Elec. Piano. You will hear a Clean Guitar in the background too.

Btw, I am playing this song in realtime; recording it in realtime to my internal Sequencer. The Clean Guitar and some of the modern Drum beats were added later using some of the Tyros' internal looped beats called 'multipads'. The multipads were added in realtime when I recorded the Mix to my PC multitrack software. The length is 2:53 and just under 5MB.

I present to you:

Serenade Song

Mike

Originally posted by Gulliver: http://www.hot.ee/spgulliver/badpapa.gif

Sounds horrible to my ears.
It may be the chinchy speakers your listening to it on. :D Just kidding Vlad. :thu: But is my point valid?? I realize this song is not everybodies cup of tea especially someone who is into Heavy Metal, etc. So maybe that would maybe be another reason it sounds horrible to your ears?, i.e. "no refined taste". ;) Just kidding again. :)

Or perhaps the Allegro Strings sound too reverby? Or perhaps my playing sucks big time? :D Whatever the reason I guess that's what makes the world go round, i.e. "different strokes for different folks", right Vlad? Besides LOVE that is. :thu:

Mike

Actually I'm glad you are not very upset because of my remark I did when I was in a bad mood...

No, my monitors are OK and I'm not into heavy metal. I just tend to confuse the meanings of these two words: "composing" and "arranging", really... Besides, you mentioned that you played live almost all of it... (And no, your playing doesn't suck.) So, my bad, sorry.

I am back.

I've got a bunch of sound clips from my newly-released CD "fluidities" here:

fluidities

It's a double CD featuring 11 tracks by me (Jonathan Hughes) and 11 tracks by ambient artists like Tetsu Inoue, Saul Stokes, Ian Boddy, Michael Bentley, and others. All the tracks are 6 minutes long and generally in A minor, so you can play the CDs simultaneously (in any order) to create hybrid tracks (the tracks are generally rhythmless, so there's rarely a probalem with things interfering with each other).

There are 121 possible combinations which yield about 12 hours oh music. If you check out the sound clips, you should be able to open different oones in different windows and have them play simultaneously. All the tracks work fine on their own, but in combination with other tracks they can be even more interesting.

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm strictly an amateur, but here's a little thing I put together with a Korg N5 and a Fostex 8 track recorder. The N5 had some really cheesy sounds like the electric cowbell and beat-box that I wanted to use so I cheesed up some fonk wit' it. (All sounds including the drums came directly out of the N5)

http://www.geocities.com/diggem74112/prefabFunk.mp3

(It's on geocities so it won't always be accessable)

Please let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a rough mix of a new song. It's kind of murky. I had intended to add acoustic guitar as part of the rhythm bed, but now I'm not so sure; think it might need cutting more than adding. TIA for any comments.

It's Here , and it's called Too Late for Echinacea.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp