Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Originally posted by Roland Genske:

Okay then, I would like to hear some feedback about my KC#9 contribution, too (me too, me too ;) ).

I call this tune Go Stay (length is 1:47 minutes, MP3 file size is 2.5 Megabytes).

Roland, great tune. Reminds me of Dave Grusin/David Benoit style of jazz. I like how the 3 measure guitar/bass/drums intro leads into the main theme. Nice chord progressions with the 3 note theme on the next 16 measures. Your solo was a nice contrast from the main theme. I like the chromatic sequence at the 1 minute mark. :cool: There are a couple of things I would suggest: 1)you have a nice bass part, but it needs to be louder in the mix. 2) Add the guitar riffs for the solo section, it's used with great effect on the intro/main theme. Good job. :thu:

Originally posted by InTheDark:

is it possible someone can point me to some jazz pianists' links in this thread? Thanks.

I don'tknow about that. Some of Steve LeBlanc's stuff might be called jazz fusion. Search the pages above. He's posted a lot of material here.

Carlo Mezzanote (Marino) doesn't tend to post stuff to this thread, but his jazz/fusion recordings are commercially available. What about Dave Horne? Does he have stuff online?

There's more I'm sure, but I'm blanking at the moment.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Mojazz, a big thank you for your suggestions.

For me it is a great experience to hear what others say about it because everybody hears it differently. What I learn right now is that I'm meanwhile unable to judge what is good and what is not :D

Actually, the bass sounded too boomy in my car so I brought the low end down a bit (after having it boosted in the first place). Maybe I should have turned up the volume a little more afterwards. Honestly, I felt a bit uncertain about the levels during mixing. Now, if there's some time I will try again and take your and gangsu's suggestions (bass up, solo up). However, chances are good that I simply leave it as it is now due to lack of time...

About the guitar... The licks you mention happened more or less "by accident" ;) I unfortunately was not able to reproduce them sound-wise, so after a few hours I decided not to do more than I already had. I guess I should have tried harder :)

Originally posted by Roland Genske:

Mojazz, a big thank you for your suggestions.

:)

... :cry: ).

Have you tried the learnpianojazz.com midi section? There are dozens of solo piano tunes - go to the midi room and select the old site midi files then select files list. Some of the recordings are great, in particular Scot Ranney's and Bernard Chinn's.

InTheDark, there are couple of forumites that had posted standard jazz stuff, but they're longer available because they were using the mp3.com server (vaporware now ).

Have you tried the learnpianojazz.com midi section? There are dozens of solo piano tunes - go to the midi room and select the old site midi files then select files list. Some of the recordings are great, in particular Scot Ranney's and Bernard Chinn's.

Not yet. I thought it would be cool to put a tune to the name of some of the great folks here, especially those who have been so helpful sharing their knowledge.

Originally posted by Phait:

- see below for updated mp3 -

Holy #$%$ Phait, your music freaks me out.

Crimson Smile. Creepy. Like some kind of asphyxiating fog breathing pure evil. Sounds like a jew's harp you bring in. Really unusual good choice of instrumentation. I mean I feel those teeth! The unearthly grin of madness personified.

with much trepidation I moved onto the next tune and heard this massive heartbeat happening, and honest to god, I had to turn it offffff! You scare me!!!

But Where Were You, the aftermath of the above, this one I listened to repeatedly. It's quite beautiful. Sad, but oh so delicately poignant.

I have to believe that's not the end. :( Pleaeaeaeasssee.......

Ok. Phew. Good God. Get out in the sunshine. Not alone! Find a friend!! ;)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Not yet. I thought it would be cool to put a tune to the name of some of the great folks here, especially those who have been so helpful sharing their knowledge.

InTheDark, Richard Whitehouse (Mr. Anonymous)

is KC forumite who has a few jazz CD's available. Check out his site.

richardwhitehouse

Also, I got a MIDI file song at learnjazzpiano.com. It's a boogie-woogie tune called "The Dungaree Hop" in the Midi and Sheet Music section - Blues room.

Great work, Roland! Nice slick production, and I don't mean that as a veiled criticism :) I think you nailed the ambience you were going for. Great bass part -- great sound too, especially the opening notes. (Sounds very real -- yet later I suspect it's a keyboard part. That or very precise articulation.)

Phait, I think your pieces are a bit above/beyond me. Impressive orchestration on "where were you", though I find myself waiting for the theme to introduce itself. Great textures in any case.

But what is it, music or art? (Just kidding .. poking fun at my own preconceptions!)

Originally posted by gangsu:

Holy #$%$ Phait, your music freaks me out.
:D Awesome, I'm glad my (semi intentions) came across. Thanks for the feedback, also regarding "where were you". I actually forgot to update, by "see below" I didn't mean my link :P Here:

http://www.thecarbonflaw.com/music/never_close_enough.mp3 5.86 MB

There is a compilation CD idea I borrowed from this forum and have started at another ( www.fantomized.info ). The 2nd CD is coming up for release soon. I didn't have intentions of including this on the compilation originally, because - I wasn't going to do anything for the comp. I was near deadline and I never work well under pressure anyways. But the other night I sat at my board and worked this out and decided to submit it for the comp. I initially didn't have any general meaning to this piece... I'd put down a bassline I was thinking of working with, but then I put it through a ring modular, muffled it some and it just evolved on it's own from there. I like writing creepy, soundtrack type stuff and decided this is about Ed Gein.

Learjeff, I listened to "Lori's Song" from your CD and I can't think of thing that BUGS me about it. It reminds of the Windham Hill recordings, especially William Ackerman's solo guitar recordings. It sounds like a tune Ackerman and George Winston did called "Hawk Circle".

This type of contemporary acoustic folk music (I think that's what Winston describes the genre and not the dreaded "New Age" label it was stuck with) is some of my most favorite music. Nice stuff.. :)

Originally posted by learjeff:

Great work, Roland! Nice slick production, and I don't mean that as a veiled criticism :) I think you nailed the ambience you were going for. Great bass part -- great sound too, especially the opening notes. (Sounds very real -- yet later I suspect it's a keyboard part. That or very precise articulation.)

Jeff, thank you! Indeed, the bass comes from the S80. I layered two of the preset sounds, one called Sting whatever... and the other one being a fretless.

:D Awesome, I'm glad my (semi intentions) came across. .

I'm not fooled by that smiley face. :evil:

Never Close Enough. Ed Gein?! Am I glad I never posted my location!! I did indeed picture a swarm of maggots on rotting flesh...( Where WERE You . Oh man. :eek: I'll go fix my previous post. Right now. I'm sorry! Don't get mad! I'M RUNNING .......)

Phait, I think your pieces are a bit above/beyond me. Impressive orchestration on "where were you", though I find myself waiting for the theme to introduce itself. Great textures in any case.

But what is it, music or art? (Just kidding .. poking fun at my own preconceptions!)

Thanks. Well to be honest... I'm not even sure where some of it stands. I've been told my stuff lacks structure, and I have no disagreements about that. I'm pretty much hovering around the experimental area and yet wanting to write music. "Impressive" is something I've never heard before in feedback, that caught me... and while that piece is rather short it seems it's feeling got across to you - which is what it's all about. Thanks again.

Gangsu - yeah I dunno, it probably seems really weird, what a few things are about but I was born on Halloween, does that count? :D -- Really though, I've always liked a good horror movie or atmospheric soundtrack and I guess some of my inspiration for doing that comes from real life stories which indeed are more horrifying... no means patronizing... eh it's hard to explain. It is what it is. Some things I'm just intrigued by. Thanks for listening! I'm gonna check out some other work here later today once I wake up >_<

Great stuff.

Extraction reminds me of some very early Tangerine dream, like Atem.

I like the ambient electronic vibe you've got going. Some of it reminded me of certain Patrick O'hearn pieces. Keep it up. :thu:

I find myself waiting for the theme to introduce itself.

Oh my god, don't ask him to write an actual theme, it'll be some whacked out nursury rhyme that'll get stuck in my head. Fear is not exactly a tune one goes about whistling. (don't even think about it!)

Seriously Phait, you're good at this stuff. As long as your entire life doesn't read like a psychological thriller. And if it's all the same to you, I will never again listen to your music in the wee hours of dawn before the traffic starts rolling. ;):thu:

I could do a whacked out nursery rhyme but Chris Vrenna did that stuff for the video game "Alice" - www.tweaker.net

Chris Vrenna. Is that a name I should know? Would my children be impressed? Hey Ma, what you been up to lately? :D

I think I'll get off this thread for awhile, but I want to make one request, if it's not too nosey. Could people also post the types of monitors they're mixing with? I'm interested.

thanks!

Edirol MA-10D's[/url]

Hey thanks, Phait! neat to put a face and a place and all that to the music. And thanks again for the glimpse through the mirror. I did listen to a bit of Mr Magoo's Alice (don't think I got that right, but i'm probably not going back ;) ).

Thanks, mojazz! For that CD, I was going more for the Sugar Hill than Windam Hill sound, but Lori's Song and the other guitar solos are problably somewhere between (and beneath -- I'd like to hear my compositions played by a really technically skilled guitarist sometime! I gotta learn to write guitar songs I can actually play ...)

Phait, with your sound and your avatar, you could just go all intense, abstract, and elusive and just say "It's art" and get away with it ;)

Gangsu, you crack me up. And yeah, I guess I'll have to ask my kid too. But maybe he's too old ...

Monitors? You guys use monitors? (chuckle) Well, I mostly use headphones, which I know is not a good way but I've been mixing long enough I think I know how to compensate. Not even really good headphones, just wireless Sony ones because they're comfortable. I also use my 25+yr-old EV floor monitors because they're there. For comparison montoring I use my little home stereo (little Bose "Lifestyle" powered speakers, the ones you can use outdoors) but usually don't learn much from that. And my car, which is boomy, and sure helps to cure boomy mixes. And friends' stereos, but this time it didn't work out (I guess I don't have any friends any more).

Bottom line about monitors: KNOW THEM and you can do well.

- you can't fix what you can't hear. So KNOW what your monitors aren't telling you, and have a way to address it. If there are too many blind spots, you'll be struggling. But most decent monitors do fine, even little Radio Shack "minimus" speakers.

- other than that, know what good music sounds like through your monitors. Listen to your favorite stuff through them all the time.

I think I've said it before but I'm usually hesitant to give feedback here - I don't have alot of experience compared to alot of people here so I think my thoughts are probably unqualified... but I'll give 'em.

Roland

Re: Go Stay... I think it should've developed sooner, like 15 to 30 seconds into it. I know it's under 2 minutes but I felt the intro phrase repeating at the end was kind of a let down... would've liked to hear it go on from when it started to develop. The drums sound faked, which was a little annoyance. But I do like the general idea you have with it - if you decide to write it beyond 2 minutes I'd like to hear it.

DafDuc

Re: Up For The Count... I'm liking this. Would like to hear some of the piano a bit more in the front. I like the drumming and bass, it's not too thin. Would be nice to hear the horns flirt with the piano and do something together coming into the end. Reminds me of one of the Cosby intros :D

Leafjeff

Checked out some songs from your CD. Listening to "Will It Last". Has a country/folk vibe, which I'm not into but I think what draws me in is the acoustic tone... I like how its sounding in the mix. I like how everything's sounding actually. Now the solo is playing and I'm getting less of a country/folk vibe, more of a... I dunno, almost Spanish and I'm liking the song more now! For some reason, reminds me of Jeff Buckley.

In "I Know" the strings are a nice touch. You've got a great voice for this stuff. These songs sound something I would hear during a conversation with someone I haven't seen in a long time or hangin' on a porch with a drink during sunset. Just relaxed, good stuff :thu:

Thanks, Phait :) "Will It Last" is definitely the most corn-fed of all the tunes -- when I finish it I have an overpowering impulse to shout "Yeee Hawwww!" Hopefully the jazzy break in the middle rescues it from C&W hell. (You don't find 13th chords in C&W much, do you?)

Thanks, Phait :) "Will It Last" is definitely the most corn-fed of all the tunes -- when I finish it I have an overpowering impulse to shout "Yeee Hawwww!" Hopefully the jazzy break in the middle rescues it from C&W hell. (You don't find 13th chords in C&W much, do you?)

No idea, I don't know an E from a Bb.