Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spam, spam, spam...

Dave Bryce

The ad post from ZUKAN, and Kevin's subsequent grumbling have me wondering whether or not you all think that this is a good thing or a bad thing. He posted it in a few other forums as well - does this qualify as spamming, or is it just well targeted posting?

So, what about it? Would you like to see ad posts, or not? Is it acceptable as long as it is germane to the forum and restricted to one or two very brief descriptive lines and a URL, which gives you the choice of not pursuing it?

Lemme know what you think.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It irritate me as well. I checked the website, and this is nothing else than an advertisement for a commercial company.

How would we all react when more companies would do this?

I can imagine when one of the musicians has written an article about synths, organs or piano's he would like to announce it.

But let's try to keep this place a substitute for the pub. Being among the brothers...

If companies want to advertise, let them place a banner like Sweetwater does.

Thanks to banners, websites like this one can survive.

Thanks to posts like Zukan a lot of people will not come to forums anymore.

------------------

www.dancewave.nl

[This message has been edited by pim@dancewave.nl (edited 11-24-2000).]

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

i agree that the post was in somewhat bad taste. It's ok to plug your stuff if it is pertinant to a post or a thread on evaluating each others work but not to simply be a commercial.

Maybe we should start a thread about what we do and swap sounds/ music to see what everyone is doing.

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as someone asked for a refferal and it had to do with a specific post.

I would have a BIG problem with it if companys start posting plugs for their gear here just because these posts are frequented by musicians. I get spam at every one of my three e-mail accounts, I get junkmail everday, I get ads thrown at me every time I rent a movie. It sure would be nice to have a place i enjoy hangin out and not have to deal with spam, I'm sick of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep this a haven for facts and tips, not salesmanship.

If anyone is having trouble with email spam, there are a couple of valuable resources to apply: http://spamcop.net/

Sign up here and you can use their engine to search out the source ISP of a spam by scanning the headers, and auto-generate a notice to the appropriate destination at the source ISP. Very handy, though spammers are getting better every day. http://spamcop.com

has many documents and links. Thanks to Mark Pulver for directing me to both of these sites.

Hope this helps despite it's OT nature.

Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

"I get spam at every one of my three e-mail

accounts, I get junkmail everday, I get ads thrown at me every time I rent a movie. It sure would be nice to have a place i enjoy hangin out and not have to deal with spam, I'm sick of it."

Yea verily, Stratman!

My hotmail address gets spammed to the tune of 35-40 e-mails/day.

This means that the hotmail gestapo start deleting stuff (usually that which I need to keep), because my account size is"too large", if I haven't logged-on for 3 or 4 days.....

Oh...by the way.....make that a Double-Spamburger with cheese, and a large portion of

cross-cut home fries......

I do not, "per se", object to a subtle advertisement in these forums, so long as it displays a modicum of wit and perspicacity....

...on second thoughts....hang the bastards!..

• 10 years later...

Simple: this is a place for us! If you are a solicitor, how 'bout your own Meteroro,got!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hey Griffinator - saw you'd posted something on here. What about my sig suggestion for you - "fff is also a dynamic"

And yes - a thread from long before my time on here. Telling you I still lived in Ireland means nothing on here so how about this - two of my paid gigs this weekend are backing a singer who was 7 when Dave "El Jefe" Bryce posted that.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Oh, see, I thought you were going to grab that quote for your own sig. We do that around here all the time. My old sig was a quote I nicked from an old member by the name of Lee Flier - "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts looking like a nail."

I don't like the spam or the blatant solicitation in the general forum topics, since it tends to interrupt things.

I wouldn't however, object to a dedicated VENDOR posting subgroup (similar to what we have for classifieds and shameless plugs). This way, if a company has something new to announce, maybe is seeking beta testers, or whatever, they get a place to voice it and we get the info post haste. If we don't want to look at it, we don't have to!

I wouldn't want to see vendors hocking their wares in the classifieds, since that is meant to be for our members selling their personal stuff to our members.

My two cents!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

When I looked at this thread there were 6 (SIX) seperate advertisements for the Guitar Center Memorial Day Sale. That THAT'S Spam.
How is that spam? Doesn't it help pay the bills to keep this place here?

I don't deny that it's goofy how they have several ads on one page. Perhaps that's why you're complaining. But at least it's kept in the appropriate places and not pretending to be forum content.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

When I looked at this thread there were 6 (SIX) seperate advertisements for the Guitar Center Memorial Day Sale. That THAT'S Spam.
... I don't deny that it's goofy how they have several ads on one page. Perhaps that's why you're complaining. ...

I wasn't complaining, I was commenting. That's okay, isn't it? Spam is not just email or a post in a thread, it is flooding a message. I don't mind since they are paying, but I am not sure they are getting a good value by putting 5 and six advertisements with the same message on the same page.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Is it acceptable as long as it is germane to the forum and restricted to one or two...

Lemme know what you think.

dB

One or two Germanes on the forum is ok, I guess... but that's it. No more than 2.

Dirk Nowitzki and Heidi Klum.

I wasn't complaining, I was commenting. That's okay, isn't it? Spam is not just email or a post in a thread, it is flooding a message. I don't mind since they are paying, but I am not sure they are getting a good value by putting 5 and six advertisements with the same message on the same page.
Yes, it's okay. ;)

I agree, having the same message repeated all over a page is more annoying than productive, probably.

I do disagree with you about your use of the word spam, here though. That said, I know I'm not going to win the battle on changing terminology of the internet and related things ("my internet is down," "go to my Facebook," "my computer has a virus," "I bought something online from a company and then they spammed me," etc.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

D@!* 3am bars should be outlawed, I tell you! I have no idea where that came from.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I think I must have just had the munchies and saw "spam"...that's all I can think of. Oooh, I just remembered, I did make an omelette, and it was sooooo good! Haven't found any hickies yet.

Dan

When I looked at this thread there were 6 (SIX) seperate advertisements for the Guitar Center Memorial Day Sale.

Just read the fine print for that 15% Off event. For those who aren't familiar... there's a long list of manufacturers who are excluded from those sales.

I miss the good old days at GC.

:taz:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Haven't found any hickies yet.

Any new tats?

Not this time....I DO have one of those, though. Looks like a prison tat. Got it when I was around 19 (21 yrs ago). For a long time, I wanted to get it removed. Now I keep it as a reminder of what can happen... I guess it didn't do its job last night. At least last night was for a good cause - a fundraiser for the folks in Joplin, MO. Well, it started out as that... the 3am bar was after.

Dan

FWIW, I think that, more than outright spamming, viral marketing is the thing to watch for.

All those recurring "Ever try Dave Burge's Perfectly Pitched Perfect Pitch Lessons ?" threads, or the ones that come from newly registered members who ask abt yer experience with a specific product (we get 'em all the time over at the Gtr Forum)...

d=halfnote

Archived