Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XV5080 vs. Triton Rack. Which is best?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by sound795@hotmail.com:

Everybody,

Putting the XV5080 up against the Triton

Rack which would you say is better?

sound795@hotmail.com

Can you be more specific?

If you mean better sounding, that's entirely relative - it depends what your ear likes and what your music calls for. You know, you sit down to play with the instrument and you find yourself writing grooves and melodies instantly...if so, buy immediately!

If you're really on the fence sound-wise, and the feature sets are fairly competitive, you might want to look at what would complement your existing arsenal best - do you already have a Roland or Korg synth? If so, consider getting the other brand just to have a wider palette of sounds from which to choose.

Hope that helps.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• 3 weeks later...
Hello. Personally I think the TRITON is best for "sounds". I'm sure that the 5080 is much more powerful (polyphony, multi-timbrality). But I think the sounds of the Triton are SO MUCH MORE HIP! The JV series tends to be very generic sound-wise. If you're doing film or TV work I think the 5080 is great. But if you're doing more progressive material I think the Triton is the best answer. The sounds are so much more inspirational. I'm sure there are some who would disagree, but that's how I feel. Take it easy.

• 2 years later...
Both of 'em sound good in their own rights. I echo Dave; what's in your rig? When I was in retail, guys would buy the Rolands that were into TV work because they read that TV composers used Roland; I would still tell them to use their ears and decide. As far as the Triton is concerned, a lot of the exotic nature of the sound is due to the multi-effect setting, which probably cannot be recreated if using a lot of parts in a multi-timbral situation. If you are multitracking, you can always lay each part off one at a time. The Roland sounds for the most part seemed to rely less on extravagant effects (at least in the more generic type sounds; stings, horns, etc.) and worked better in the multi-timbral situation.

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Archived