Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your pick of the best music dvd so far ?

What's your pick of the best music dvd currently available, that in your opinion best showcases (visually, aurally, technically) what makes the dvd medium so great for this particular format, compared to numerous other music dvd's that are out. Please say why, rather than just naming a title.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I haven't seen too many, but the Steely Dan one blew me away. It was basically a concert DVD...but everything about it was pristine, in the peculiar way that Steely Dan does that sort of thing. I believe Musicplayer's own Roger Nichols had a hand in that, too. Aside to picking it apart, emphasizing why it was so great in comparison with others, I probably wouldn't do too well. But, I advise everyone to watch it and hear it...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Roy Orbison "Black and White Night" blows me away. Live concert at the Cocoanut Grove in LA, band includes (among others) James Burton, Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, background vocals by k d lang, Bonnie Raitt, and Jennifer Warnes...Great sound, moody B&W footage, Roy at 50+ years with all of his unique vocal gift. James Taylor "Hourglass" SACD, not a DVD, surround music only (JT Live at the Beacon Theater is a great live performance mix DVD, for many of the same reasons). Great mix by Frank Filipetti, who gets it. ELP "Brain Salad Surgery" Rhino, no need for drugs anymore

I havent seen too many but... I really like the live NIN DVD (and all that could have been) I think the way it was filmed was great and the sound is spectacular. Deja Vroom by King Crimson was cool too. but I thought the audio on the DVD was way too compressed. good angles though. Gotham by Bauhaus was very good. Str8 forward performance and the sound was great.

ATOMIX! :evil:

http://www.abc.net.au/common/logos/whtblkgrn.gif

My comments from a previous thread: James Taylor-Live at the Beacon: really tasty if you like this sort of thing, phenomonal musicianship. Yellow Submarine: Not the greatest of films, but the surround mix is quite aggresive and impressive. A 5.1 mix of Eleanor Rigby?Gottahavit! Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day Live: Highest level musicians, playing great. Not really the best PMG performance I've seen, but inspiring nonetheless. Lyle Mays grabs and wanks a Les Paul in one tune... Herbert Von Karajan/Vienna Philharmonic - Debussy's La Mer: I'm not the biggest Karajan fan, but a great sounding performance on this one. Tasteful and non-invasive footage of the orchestra, if not all that exciting to watch. The Who/ Who's Next - Classic Album series: Great banter and comments from all three guys, plus the exquisite Glyn Johns makes some comments. Right up there with the Steely Dan/Aja one from the same series. Grateful Dead - Downhill From Here: A Live concert from Alpine Valley '90 mixed in stereo. This was right before keyboardist Brent Mydland's sad passing, the final glory days of the Dead. No sleepy Jerry here, seems like they were all havin' fun on a summer tour. Included somewhat cheesy video effects at times ( footage was from the big screen feeds ), but still conveys a pretty groovy experience. If your a Deadhead you've already got it... Also check out New Year's Eve '89. Dracula / New Score by Philip Glass: A weird idea, but the Kronos' Quartet performance of Glass' new score is inspired and accompanied by a classic movie. For a real kick watch the Spanish version. I second the previous kudos for King Crimson's Deja Vroom ( multi-angles! ), Steely Dan's Two Against Nature, Talking Head's Stop Making Sense, and of course - Spinal Tap! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Since then I've also enjoyed the Roger Waters Live DVD and Bauhaus "Gotham". Also need to pump up Disney's Fantasia 2000, as well as DVD-A of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery. Two other recently thoroughly played and highly recommended are Bela Fleck's Bluegrass Reunion ( DVD-A ) and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones "Live at the Quick".( DVD ) Antoher recent but immpressive DVD choice is Los Super Seven -"No Borders Canto". Cheers and enjoy!
Woof!

I really like the Classic Albums series, so far I have seen Steely Dan (fairly good), Stevie Wonder (great), Phil Collins(flame me!), The Who (yes, this is very good), Bob Marley (OK, but not great), Jimi Hendrix (part is good, part is filler), Paul Simon (intresting). Favorite DVD's in of this batch: Stevie & The Who. Still waiting for Lou Reed (Transformer), I've been told that it is a good one. I hope they will do "Classic Albums" DVD's on Massive Attack (Blue Lines), Tom Waits, Frank Zappa, Kraftwerk (could be cool but that will never happen), Yello, Quincy Jones (Back on the block), Prince (1984)... /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I like the Dream Theater DVD myself. You get the show, plus all the visual effects. Many of the effects are triggered in real time from Jordan Rudess's keyboard rig and an Apple PowerBook that generates all the cool eye candy. Yeowch! He has a challenging time as it is, just playing his parts (often splitting several sounds on ONE keyboard, as opposed to most keyboardists' approach of using two or more), and making all the changes from one pedal. Yes, just one! (It's approached in a sequential manner, as in going from 200 to 500, for example). The crowd pictures taken by drummer Mike Portnoy is a nice touch, as is the audio commentary by the band (mostly "moderated" by Mike himself :) ). It doesn't hurt that comments from the fans are recorded for posterity, too.

jimi hndrix at the filmore (who knew there were not one but TWo cameras there that night) brian setzer live in japan. the drummer is one bad mofo... but far and away the best ever...... the T.A.M.I show. concert shot in 1964 w/ the stones, james brown, beach boys, chuck berry, jan n dean, marvin gaye, smokey (very out of tune) robinson, terri garr and toni basil dancing, the supremes, and more... all live. -d. gauss

Jazz on a Summer Day, its an art film made about the scene and music of the 1958 newport jazz festival. Anita Oday is amazing and its need to see film of a 23 year old chuck berrry that looks so good I keep thinking it must be an actor playing chuck. Highly recommended for all the jazz nazi's out there. Frost

Archived