Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Heaviest" Album Art

So, that "earliest heavy music" thread got me to go pull out the old Vinyl, and King Crimson's first album has an absolutely amazing cover that I'd forgotten all about. That got me thinking -- those artrock bands from the 70s had some very cool album art.

Are there great CD covers out now? I think some of Tool's covers are pretty interesting to look at, but a lot of the visual art in today's music seems to be in video and stuff. Too many CDs seem to use the same overwrought photoshop fx. But then, maybe it's just the music I buy, where there's a whole authenticity schtick.

Thoughts? Favorite album covers of all time? Favorite CD inserts?

Best,

--JES

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, although there have been some cool non-Dean covers...

Santana, "Abraxas"

Miles Davis, "Bitches Brew" (these two have a remarkable similarity of styles, were they done by the same person?)

There were a couple of books, Roger Dean "Views" and "The Album Cover Album"...that were really cool. I used to have 'em. Don't know what happened to 'em. Someone probably swiped 'em. Damn.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by JES:

Are there great CD covers out now?

The fold-out to Mr. Bungle's first CD was pretty wild. I also like a lot of the Primus cover art and inserts, because they actually sculpt and paint the the stuff, then photograph it for the cover. The cover for Bob Mould's "Workbook" has always been one of my favorites.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

yeah, i was gonna say bungles first one too. first time i ever heard that when it came out i was tripping balls on some fungus and that album was playing and i was staring at that cover..... talk about intensity on all levels.

another is the flaming lips: oh my gawd!!! kinda surreal.

the guy in squishy does some killer shit. other than that, i cant think of any that arent at least 10 years old.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

yeah cover art is one of those things that was cast aside when cd-itis hit.well, i remember the days(sonny...) when i went to record stores and a lot of times just buy a record 'cause of the cover...the 1st time(and probably best)was pickin up~are you experienced~by JIMI

and after that there were hits and misses but that was always fun to come home and just listen to something you bought for its artististic looks...

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Even though I'm not fond of the band Led Zepplin's Zoso album artwork is wonderful. The old man with the lantern looking down upon a city kinda seems like a different take on the painting Starry Night.

-Fish

Steely Dan's "Aja", but I like minimalist photography. I also enjoyed the years-long Chicago idea, the band's logo done in different mediums like steel, chocolate, tiles, etc. Finally, Roxy Music's "Avalon", with the upside down sunset; very Tolkeinesque.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Hipgnosis did all those Pink Floyd covers, as well as others. All very surreal and trippy.

CDs are so small, album cover art will not (cannot) ever be the same.

And you can't clean weed in a CD pullout; never will you have the experience of pulling out a CD you haven't listened to in a while, open the gatefold, and discover a few hits worth of fine kind left behind from some long-ago rolling session.

And isn't that really, in the final analysis, what's wrong with music today?

Eric, that is THE sentiment!! I do agree!

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

This message has been edited by richt on 07-10-2001 at 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Eric Worthington:

Hipgnosis did all those Pink Floyd covers, as well as others. All very surreal and trippy.

And you can't clean weed in a CD pullout; never will you have the experience of pulling out a CD you haven't listened to in a while, open the gatefold, and discover a few hits worth of fine kind left behind from some long-ago rolling session.

Now I have to go through all of my LP's. Thanks for the reminder!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

Steve

(looking for the Zig-Zags)

New CD art I thought was cool was Fuel's "burn" disk,

Old stuff, I like the early Roxy Music albums with the ladies on the covers, or Rolling Stones "Exile on Main Street", to name a few.

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

ok, so it's not about 'hard' anymore...

as a kid i particulary remember some of the Alice Cooper stuff...School's Out turned into a fold out desk; Billion Dollar Babies had the album in a cheesy diaper. Led Zep III had that spinning picture disc. hell, Queen...um...the Bicycle Race/Fat Bottomed Girls album...even gave you a poster with naked women on bikes. try doing that now...

any little CD jackets actually do something or give you something lately?

Janes Addiction "Nothings Shocking"

Traffic "The one with the topless 15 year old holding the model airplane" WOWSA !!! That did it for me back then when I was 15, guess it still does.

The Cars had a nice "Vargas" cover once ... well that's all the nudie stuff I can think of at the moment except for Janis !!!!

Hi all! Been lurking here for awhile. Very cool site. No bullshit flame-wars and a really good vibe.

Radiohead's "Amnesiac" has super trippy art in the booklet. Weird opaque pages with surreal drawings inside.

Originally posted by russrags:

... well that's all the nudie stuff I can think of at the moment except for Janis !!!!

Nudity doesn't really make a big impression on me. I like covers that have real detailed drawings, or something that took a lot of effort. I like it when the artwork looks like it took longer than the recording. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

Originally posted by Eric Worthington:

what? i can fit a marley on a cd cover [2 1.5's together, or a length from a TP roll] the kind doesnt have seeds to worry about nor is it all dry falling all over the place. so sticky it just turns into a thick pile on the plastic... besides, we use a thing called TRAYS.

i just want an insert that gives the most information possible looking as cool as it can. i dont care if it turns into a table. and BTW, i have seen too many records with weak design basically WASTING all that space.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Hey Tedster! Actually my handle implies my given name. But that's interesting you mentioned Paris the recording system. I'm a VS1680 user who wants to move to a more durable operating system and I've been checking this site for opinions for a while now. Paris seems to garner a lot of respect around here.

That being said, do you have an opinion? Digital Performer?

Archived