Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

George Harrison

I do not like being the bearer of bad news. -a news update on my 2-way pager has indicated George Harrison may be suffering from a brain tumor.

I wish him the best, and I'm praying this all turns out well.

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God no...

(silence)...

I don't know what to say. He's been battling cancer for several years, actually. Throat cancer a few years ago...then it seems like they found a spot on his lung a few months ago.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

According to this news story, George was treated for cancer at a Swiss clinic over a month ago (not long after he went to the Mayo clinic), but the press is just now finding out about it and the Swiss media may have exaggerated it in the process.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/597780.asp

--Lee

Then this is one time that I'm happy about the inaccuracies in the media.

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

Just the same, Harrison's such a private person, he could be in real trouble and what's he going to say..."Oh, I'm fine"...and then a couple of months later we find out otherwise. Not that there's anything we can do...except if you're the praying type, pray, if you're the thinking type, offer up good thoughts...y'know...

I wish George all the best - he's been a great influence on us all.

He is the ultimate guitar "anti-hero". The guy who's guitar playing has probably reached more people in the world than anybody else's has always been extremely humble about it.

I'm sure his faith and the Love from all of his fans will carry him through this.

The local rags say he's been recovered at the clinic in Bellinzona, the capital of Canton Ticino (Southern Switzerland). According to the press he's commuting from a house located in Luino, on Lake Maggiore, which is about 40 minutes drive from Bellinzona. This makes me feel that if George has not been interned he may not be doing so badly after all (despite the fact that brain tumor is something serious).

On another note alltogether.... just wonder how a person who definitely lived a good life, took care of himself better than many other people usually do came up with all these tumor/cancer problems - it just beats me...

All the best to George, and regards to the list,

Paul

JingleJungle

...Hoobiefreak

<>

with brain tumors, ya never know. my harmonica player was diagnosed with a brain tumor (his 2nd!) the night before we started our new record. he had a very long nasty recovery period (with lots of side effects), but he's back playing gigs with us, so maybe ole george will pull through!

-d. gauss

My best friend (and bandmate) has had three tumors removed from his brain.

I just fixed his Ampeg amp for him the other day. He's probably jamming as I post this. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Anything is possible...and my thoughts go out to Mr. Harrison

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I didn't have to bring this thread up again, but check out this news story from today:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010722/ts/people_britain_harrison_dc_2.html

This is incredibly upsetting for me to read. I wish the very best for him and his family. I hope he pulls through... 58 is too young of an age to say goodbye to this world.

I read the news today, oh boy... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

Yes over here in the UK he is revered very highly indeed having just some months ago thwarted a break in attempt where he and his wife battled almost to grim death with an intruder who stabbed George in the heat of it all, his wife cronked him round the head with something heavy thank god.....

He looks to be preparing for death..

His company Handmade films had a premises during the 80's located in a hip courtyard, Neals Yard (London). It was and still is, full of vegetarian restraunts... George and his company hung a large 'ye olde' type wooden sign from their balcony, they painted a mouth dripping blood, with the legend underneath, Neals Yard Abattoir. !!!

The coolest Beatle?

I think so.

My sweet Lord help him.

Jules

Jules

Producer Julian Standen

London, UK,

Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

"Sunrise doesn't last all morning

A cloudburst doesn't last all day

Seems my love has left you with no warning

It's not always going to be this gray

All things must pass

All things must pass away"

Odd...my wife bought me a Life Magazine a week or so ago...the "Life Magazine History of The Beatles". Kind of a coffee table type book. In the back is a nice photo of Ringo, George, and Paul standing by a gate in '94 or '95. I happened to be glancing at the book tonight, before reading this thread. You see that picture and of course the missing Lennon comes into mind...but there was something else. I kinda focused on Ringo and Paul and said to myself..."Soon it'll just be those two"...and then I read this thread. Weird.

And then, it really hits you as it's a reminder that we're all getting older. The Beatles for so long represented youth...even as they aged...and now, they're approaching their later years. Reminds me that one of these days...it'll be all of us.

I'm really bummed...having grown up with and cut my "musical teeth" on Beatles songs, this is too too sad.

I know a lot of younger musicians don't understand what the "big deal" is about the Beatles,...too bad.

The period from the late 50's to the early 70's was such a major impact on everything we hear today, and the Beatles were right damn smack in the middle of all that!

I love a lot of music that is coming out these days, but I feel so lucky to have grown up during that "magical" music period.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

And this article says that George Martin didn't make those statements in that article...

Beatles Producer Denies Harrison Comments

By ABCNEWS.com

A spokesman for George Martin denies a published report in which the Beatles producer said George Harrison was "close to death.

Too bad the rest of the Fab Four don't get together 1 more time with Julian doing John's parts...I know people have been dreaming that for years now but I just had to say it again...

Originally posted by kudyba:

Too bad the rest of the Fab Four don't get together 1 more time with Julian doing John's parts...I know people have been dreaming that for years now but I just had to say it again...

Amen.

My heart goes out to George and his family.

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

Originally posted by kudyba:

And this article says that George Martin didn't make those statements in that article...

That is fucking sick that a tabloid would make up these reports. I mean, were talking about someones illness here for crying out loud. Regardless of George's current state of health, my condolences goes out to him and I wish him the best.

-Dylan

My first inclination is to believe that the tabloid made up the report... But who's to say it wasn't an overzealous fan? (Could it be a replay of the whole "Paul is dead" thing?)

Whatever the case, I certainly hope the tabloid report isn't true.

What the fuck....

We're all "close to death"...at least GH is solvent enough to command the very best treatment....something that all you folks in the good ol' US of A have to struggle with re youre health insurance.... we in the UK have the National Health Service, which is constantly being eroded....what price life?.....$$$ apparently....

The bottom-line $0.2

Archived