Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

anybody see the Brian Wilson tribute?

I'm surely a fan of BW's genius but it's been hard to watch him

attempt performing over the last few years (his Letterman appearance

was unbearable).

However, after returning home from a 7/4 show last night, I caught

30 minutes of the BWilson tribute. It was simply an amazing rendition of the old Beach Boy songs. HE sang MUCH better than I've seen lately but

I think the back up band/singers were the real stars. 'Good Vibrations',

'Heroes and Villians', and 'Wouldn't it be Nice' had the best performed/produced harmony vocals I've heard since the Eagles reunion.

And musically, the band was flawless.

My hat goes off to all involved in the production.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put the same topic on the Keyboard forum, but it may be better served here.

The high points:

Vince Gill's amazing rendition of "The Warmth of the Sun"?

Carly Simon, David Crosby, & Jimmy Webb singing "In My Room"

A nearly giddy Billy Joel singing "Don't Worry Baby", ripping the organ solo on "Fun Fun Fun", and doing the twist with Elton John

Paul Simon's heartfelt vocal+guitar arrangement of "Surfer Girl"

The low points:

How stiff was the (far from jubilant) Jubilant Sykes, the operatic baritone filling out the bass vocal on "Good Vibrations"? (Opera singers and pop music don't mix well, ex. the Elvis Costello/Anne Sofie von Otter album).

Couldn't the producers have spared us an overly sentimental Wilson Phillips reunion performance by just having them introduce another performer?

The Go-Go's & Ricky Martin - whose bad ideas were these?

As far as he's come from his most troubled years, Brian still appears almost terrified on stage, especially uncomfortable behind his piano (it didn't look as though he played it). I'm looking forward to seeing him next week as the opening act for Paul Simon, if for no other reason than to be in the presence of his greatness.

"The high points:

Vince Gill's amazing rendition of "The Warmth of the Sun"?

Carly Simon, David Crosby, & Jimmy Webb singing "In My Room"

A nearly giddy Billy Joel singing "Don't Worry Baby", ripping the organ solo on "Fun Fun Fun", and doing the twist with Elton John

Paul Simon's heartfelt vocal+guitar arrangement of "Surfer Girl"

The low points:

How stiff was the (far from jubilant) Jubilant Sykes, the operatic baritone filling out the bass vocal on "Good Vibrations"? (Opera singers and pop music don't mix well, ex. the Elvis Costello/Anne Sofie von Otter album).

Couldn't the producers have spared us an overly sentimental Wilson Phillips reunion performance by just having them introduce another performer?

The Go-Go's & Ricky Martin - whose bad ideas were these?"

My wife told me verbatim what you said, since she saw the whole show.

I agree about VINCE G. (wow!).. and about J.SYKES operatic diction

in Rock 'n' Roll (ugh).

Yah, when I saw all those people up there, I thought "Oh no, not another 'We are the World' deal, where they kept throwing in verses for each ego"

But they actually did justice to the music, and it was really pretty moving. I thought it was cool to have all those stars out there having fun doing a tribute to one of the greatest rock talents of all time.

Philbo

Tangent Music

http://artists3.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Tangent2/

Despite his personal psych and drug problems from years ago, IMO Brian Wilson = American Musical Genius. Pet Sounds = One of the top 10 records of all time - from a songwriting, arranging and production standpoint, it's a monster.

Sorry I missed the tribute. Especially the Vince Gill performance. What a great voice!

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

pokeefe777@msn.com

So, I saw BW live last night as the opener for Paul Simon, an experience that was both joyous and sad at the same time.

Sad because Brian looks completely lost as a live performer. He appeared to be using teleprompters, and seemed to be looking at them very intently. Behind his keyboard most of the night, he played it very little, instead trying to do something rhythmic with his hands. For "Barbara Ann", he "played" a Precision Bass, but I don't the sound of it was in the mix. At least he was more animated.

Joyous, because as stiff as Brian may appear, he seems to be having a great time playing great music with a great band. I can't remember having heard a better backing band than The Wondermints. On the show closer, "Love and Mercy", there were 10 strong vocalists! And what could be better on a clear summer night than to hear Wilson's music played so damn well. Big surprise: Brian and his band were available to sign merchandise after their set. It was rewarding just to be the presence of his greatness and hear all that amazing music from the wellspring.

It was all good with Paul Simon's set. I'd pay $10 just to hear Baghiti Khumalo (sp?) play the bass break in "You Can Call Me Al". Nice touch: sounded and looked like a real Rhodes for "50 Ways" and "Still Crazy". It's amazing how fresh all his material stays, particularly the '70s hits and the Graceland tunes.

Originally posted by mzeger:

Good news - set your VCRs! Looks like there's one more airing on Wed. 7/11 12m-2a (ET).

http://www.tnt.tv/Title/View4/0,5878,341194|839|863~,00.html

(what a slow site)

Guys, today's July 18 and I'm just seeing this thread so I missed the above repeat (though I don't have cable I'd have had my daughter tape it for me had I known). Brian's one of the most under-honored outstanding artist/composer/producers of 60's pop IMO whose Beach Boys hits I never tire of hearing.

Anyone know if ANOTHER rerun is coming, or if PBS may buy & run it later?

-- Music has miracle potential --

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this topic back up to the top because I found a full, free Brian Wilson concert video over on the House of Blues' site...

It takes Brian a while to get warmed up (and he certainly doesn't look comfortable on stage), but there's a phenominal version of Heroes and Villans about 40 minutes into the show. (Brian's backing band, which includes the great pop group, The Wondermints, is top notch IMO.)

From the things I've listened to, the original Beach Boys at their peak weren't able to perform Heroes and Villians live as well as Brian's current group can. There's also a rendition of the instrumental "Pet Sounds" song that, to me, sounds better and more alive than the version on the album.

Here's the link to the show. You'll need to register (for free) over on The House Of Blues 's web site in order to view it. Have fun! :)

Brian on the QVC home shopping channel was the ultimate! This was a while ago...the resurfacing of this topic reminded me of that...He was on there promoting the Live At The Roxy album...Classic! Anybody catch that? Watching Brian deal with a totally enthusiastic, over the top QVC sales guy was hysterical ! Brian had his band with him...between each song, this QVC guy would come over and sit next to Brian...the usual QVC hype! After a while, Brian's like..."Oh, you're back"... and then finally, he was like "can we just play the song"! Killer!

Originally posted by popmusic:

There's also a rendition of the instrumental "Pet Sounds" song that, to me, sounds better and more alive than the version on the album.

Here's the link to the show. You'll need to register (for free) over on The House Of Blues 's web site in order to view it. Have fun! :)

You mena "Let's Go Away For A While"? That's an AMAZING song... one of my favorite BW compositions. Rumor is that there were actually lyrics for it at one point (Terry Melcher?) but Brian decided to do it as an instrumental.

I'll definitely have to check this out - thanks for the link!

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

pokeefe777@msn.com

Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com:

You mena "Let's Go Away For A While"?

No, I mean "Pet Sounds". It's the next to the last song on the Pet Sounds album (right before "Caroline No"). I always thought that particular song was just OK, but hearing the version on this concert made me like it a lot more. :)

Archived