Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musical moments that changed your life

>>tedster:

If in high school you played Johnny Winter's version of "Its My Own Fault" remotely near like the live album, you most definitely deserved that standing ovation. That's some absolutely ripping, emotional blues guitar work, unmatched by anything I have heard since. Props to you.

Well, I can't say I played it exactly like Johnny http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif , and, if I heard what I did today, I'd probably say "Yikes! That sucked!"...but that was the version I was striving for, and whatever I did musta sounded cool to the high schoolers, anyway... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up, we had no television or radio (California in the late 60's and through the 70's, there were lots of alternative lifestyles going down), just LPs of different folk and classical music.

But that was ingrained, so I'd have to say it formed my musical life, not changed it- a revelation experience came one night, don't remember when but I was very young, when we visited my grandparents and I saw "Mission Impossible". That opening theme- it just leaped out with this electrifying authority and moved with a kind of tough elegant energy.

"I can remember it like it was yesterday...." as they say.

They also say "you never forget your first time", so, grinning sheepishly, I'd better mention "Flowers of Romance" by Public Image Limited.

First time I heard Zepplin , also the first time I smoked pot... To this day, every time I hear "When the Levy Breaks" I am overcome with the smell of the weed (which was real funky) and recall the situation I was in to the T. Strange sense recall but exemplifies the power of music.

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

The first time I heard the radio program called "Hearts of Space" on the radio...early 80's. It was a late-night radio show from the Bay area (San Francisco maybe ?) and it was a few hours of dreamy, cosmic, space music. One a good night you almost felt like you had traveled to another planet, without taking any drugs or a rocket-ship.

The King Biscuit Flower Hour radio show on Sunday nights was a major influence on me. The amount of truly great classic rock that they recorded will someday be a treasure. I hope they archive it all for future generations to enjoy. They haven't played the program for years in my city but I find myself on Sunday nights scrolling around the dial in hopes that I can find it, yet knowing I never will. Is that pathetic or what ?

Originally posted by Tedster:

Nope, Switched On Bach was Walter Carlos...who switched his/her/its name to Wendy after he/she/it/whatever had a sex-change operation.

A little more respect for transsexuals would be nice. "It/whatever" is insulting. The subject of gender reassignment surgery may make you uncomfortable, but if so, you don't need to thrash around in public and inflict your discomfort on others.

From what I understand of how the process works, Wendy's issues with her gender identification predated the release of Switched-On Bach by many years. In a very real sense, then, she was Wendy, not Walter, even at that point.

Thus it is correct, as well as polite, to simply say, "Switched-On Bach was recorded by Wendy Carlos." "She" is the only correct pronoun to use when referring to Wendy. If you feel you may be confusing your readers, the phrase "Wendy (then known as Walter) Carlos" would be acceptable.

--Jim Aikin

Hey Larry! You from Pittsburgh? Ever been to the (no longer standing) Stanley Theater? I saw Zappa, Missing Persons, the Tubes, and Weather Report there. Was a great venue, once upon a time.

Steve: As of a year or two ago, Hearts of Space was still an active syndicated radio program. May still be today. You might want to search the web for their home page.

What really changed my life was buying a cassette of Woodstock II at a garage sale. I realized there was more to life than my sister's records (Frampton Comes Alive, Bread, Fogelberg). I started getting into blues when I wanted to find more stuff like Canned Heat, and all the late 60's stuff and how they were related. The next big change was hearing the English Beat doing Tears of a Clown on college radio (KUSF). I was bored with hearing the same songs on the radio and found myself on the left of the dial and there was this song that just grabbed me. Started listening to all the post-punk/punk dub wackyness.

Live, Miles Davis blew my mind. As did King Sunny Ade.

Steve - I also used to listen to Hearts of Space.

-David R.

-David R.

Originally posted by Jim Aikin:

A little more respect for transsexuals would be nice. "It/whatever" is insulting. The subject of gender reassignment surgery may make you uncomfortable, but if so, you don't need to thrash around in public and inflict your discomfort on others.

From what I understand of how the process works, Wendy's issues with her gender identification predated the release of Switched-On Bach by many years. In a very real sense, then, she was Wendy, not Walter, even at that point.

Thus it is correct, as well as polite, to simply say, "Switched-On Bach was recorded by Wendy Carlos." "She" is the only correct pronoun to use when referring to Wendy. If you feel you may be confusing your readers, the phrase "Wendy (then known as Walter) Carlos" would be acceptable.

--Jim Aikin

Her homepage is here:

http://www.wendycarlos.com/

Definitely an important figure in the history of synthesis, as well as an awesome musician.

- Seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I thought that I would sure like to play (and have the girls scream for me!)

- Seeing Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana on tour together in 1975. I almost broke into tears as Clapton started the solo on Bell Bottom Blues.

- More recently - touring Sun Studios in Memphis, and being in the same room that Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Scotty Moore, Sam Phillips, etc recorded in. To share that same space - even across time - it was almost religious...

Calfee

- Calfee Jones

The first time I heard Stevie Ray Vaughan. He walked into my soul and turned the lights on, as far as music is concerned. And as far as playing the guitar. He did what I had been struggling just to find. And just to give you an idea of how out of the blue it caught me. I didn't and still don't care that much for blues. I love everything he ever did, got them all. But the only other blues albums I ever cared for. Is a couple of live albums that B.B. King and Bobby Blue Bland did. And I found those years after SRV. Go figure.

Gods Love,

Jamey

John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

(ASV)

Jamey

Sorry if I stepped on any toes. The fact remains that Wendy was Walter when (insert favorite pronoun) recorded the Bach thing.

I don't understand the transsezual thing. If it's a medical thing, then I understand. If it's just a personal choice, well, I'm not so sure. Never had to deal with it. But I've probably had to deal with other issues that you'd be less patient with, and you may find yourself saying something sometime that I find insulting. If so, you can count on me letting you know square off...

Just so we know where we stand...ain't no saints around here.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Waking up sunday mornings to Brahms 4th by Wilhelm Furtwaengler in my father´s turntable.

Against his family´s wishes that he studied law, as his father, he became a civil engineer. My mother says that he always has wanted to be a classical music conductor, though I´ve never heard him mention this.

Against his own wishes that I studied civil engineering (I tried), I became an industrial software consultant.

Our most violent arguments have been about music tastes, not career options, though (I love classical AND rock and roll guitar). His heart has never been that well, and my mother eventually asked me please not to touch the music issue. We seldom talk now.

Now I spend all my free time in my home studio, and as of lately I have started to feel a funny interest in orchestral scores that was not there before.

Last sunday was his birthday, and while we all waited for dinner, I sat at the family´s upright, and started fiddling for myself. Suddenly I heard his voice behind me saying: "I´m glad you are learning piano".

I just turned forty.

Humans are very strange.

JoseC.

P.S. Next time please try not to get so personal.

Dan,

Grew up around Pgh (went to Pitt and Duquesne). I seem to recall the Stanley Theatre, but don't recall seeing anyone there, mostly went to Civic Arena, 3 Rivers Stadium, Heinz Hall, and a place (don't know if it's still there) called the Syria Mosque. I saw Return To Forever with Al Dimeola and Stanley Clarke at the Mosque. Also saw Dave Mason. Moved to LA in 1980, so a bit out of touch...

===========

Actually, I think I did see George Benson at the Stanley...his hometown, y'no...

I can still speak about y'uns... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Larry W.

This message has been edited by lwilliam on 02-09-2001 at 04:24 PM

Larry W.

Gosh, let's see. The first time I mnanaged to wrestle my mom's old nylon string guitar into tune I sat for about six hours playing an E chord over and over just feeling the way that it vibrated my body.

Then years later in high school I walked into a practice room where somebody was playing an Gibson SG REALLY LOUD. I was transfixed by the sound and the feeling that it gave me. I must have been google-eyed or something because the player handed me the guit (adorned with a bumper sticker saying "Asparagus") and let me play a few chrds. All it took was one, that same E chord just shattered my concept of what I was on this earth to do. I still know only a few things that feel better.

Also, let's see.... Coltrane's "My Favorite Things", the first time I heard Led Zep loud...Seeing Carlos Santana and the Edger Winter Group when I was 16, (first the synth part in Frankenstein, then Carlos' tone) Seeing Andre Segovia give a master class......Hopefully many more to come

Charles Rieser

Southwind Studios

Austin, Tx.

www.southwindstudios.net

Seing Joe Satriani's video of Satch Boogie on TV. After that I got serious about playing guitar. Looking back on the whole 80's guitar hero thing now it's all funny to me , but I'm in the biz now 'cause I wasn't just noodling with it at some point. Thanks Joe !

Emile

Originally posted by brandonheise@mac.com:

Nobody has mentioned FZ and I think his contribution to twentieth century music cannot be ignored. If you've never heard his stuff it's definitely worth hearing. The first thing that I listened to was Joe's Garage, that really got me started on FZ.

Sorry, I used only the name abbreviation. FZ is Frank Zappa.

Originally posted by spigots@aol.com:

Grand Funk Railroad - Live Album. Recorded straight to 2 track during the height of their US domination, before they started to become more commercial.

It was 1970. I was 6. Mom let me pick out any record I wanted at the Skaggs Alpha Beta (remember when you bought records at the grocery store?). I thought the cover was cool. I since have gone through 3 vinyl copies (all worn out). The CD wasn't taken from the masters and leaves alot to be desired (I'm sorry to say).

Raw, Raw, Raw. Great distorted bass sound. Great jams. A little self-indulgent but everything back then had a tendency to be. Mark Farner is very underrated.

People often ask me why I love heavy guitar music so much. This must be why.

Frank

That recording is hellacious - can't get it on CD - guess I'll have to burn my own. Into the Sun, I think it was - man that was the shit.

And while on the subject of "dramatic life changing events or thereabouts", I have Switched on Bach - vinyl from when it 1st came out. The credits go to Walter. I don't really care what he has done with his personal life or physical self manifestation, but the album was a great achievement that put the Moog on the map.

She, now, has also done a NEW version, with "period" tunings on the Bach which will give more of the sense of harmonic blends that you have heard as Bach wrote the music (now that the ice is broken, what the hell). Power keyboard folks, the K2X00 crowd and the like, can try these for themselves - very interesting that renditions of these works today use a tuning that dramatically affects the feeling in a way mostly contrary to how the music was written.

I always wondered why the hell Bach would go to the bother to write a prelude and fugue in every key (other that as a fingering exercise, which I just couldn't buy)- well, in his day, every key sounded completely different than every other key beyond the simple and consistent pitch shift you hear today.

So the new Wendy album should show this off a bit - she has also done a huge amount of work with microtonal tunings and alternate scales.

What has that got to do with this topic - who the hell knows - listen to it and change your life if you like, or your tuning, I reckon.

This message has been edited by stevepow on 02-11-2001 at 02:47 AM

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Originally posted by brandonheise@mac.com:

Nobody has mentioned FZ and I think his contribution to twentieth century music cannot be ignored. If you've never heard his stuff it's definitely worth hearing. The first thing that I listened to was Joe's Garage, that really got me started on FZ.

speaking of him, I bought my first stereo from my older brother which only included an amp and speakers as he was keeping his turntable. It would be a while until I could afford my own turntable so he lent me his reel to reel with just two tapes. Frank Zappa "Joes Garage" and Beachboys "Holland"

Two tapes for two different moods. It also spoilt me for cassette too.

Brenton

Cheers

Brenton

Originally posted by lwilliam:

Dan,

Grew up around Pgh (went to Pitt and Duquesne). I seem to recall the Stanley Theatre, but don't recall seeing anyone there, mostly went to Civic Arena, 3 Rivers Stadium, Heinz Hall, and a place (don't know if it's still there) called the Syria Mosque. I saw Return To Forever with Al Dimeola and Stanley Clarke at the Mosque. Also saw Dave Mason. Moved to LA in 1980, so a bit out of touch...

===========

Actually, I think I did see George Benson at the Stanley...his hometown, y'no...

I can still speak about y'uns... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Larry, guess y'ins er 'bout twunny-fahv hunrid mahls from the 'bugh, 'n' at. See, they blew up Three Rivers 'smornin'? Big cloud o' dust - seriously!

Okay, enough Pittsburghese! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

All - thanks for all of the personal recollections and heartfelt memories. It seems that most of us were strongly influenced by music as children. This underscores the importance of exposing young people to good music. Play good music when they're around to counteract the nonsense that's being shoved in their faces by greedy opportunists. Encourage kids to try various instruments. Play for them and share the joy and pride that music brings to you. Support school and community music programs. Take them to see music performed by good players and ensembles when feasible.

I had "given up" playing music in 1970 when I went away to college at the University of California at Riverside, but then the Allman Brothers came to town one sunny afternoon and played a free concert for about 50 of us on the commons lawn. Believe it or not, I wound up sitting in for a couple tunes with the band that day, and I haven't thought about giving up music since.

You can read about it here--the day changed my life...

http://hahtsauce.haht.com/cgi-bin40/hsrun.exe/abw40/trade40j/trade40j.hjx;start=trade40j.Hsshows.run?showID=ab19700120&V=UC%20Riverside&L=Riverside,%20CA%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 %20%20%20

Originally posted by Jim Aikin:

Changed my life? That's a tall order.

When I was still a teenager, two LPs: "Jefferson Airplane's After Bathing at Baxter's" and Judy Collins's "In My Life." Later on, Cream playing "Spoonful."

--Jim Aikin

You know, "Baxter's" is one of the great underrated records of all time...

Weird, stoney as hell, Jack's bass playing rules, and Al Schmidt really did a great job. As I remember, it got totally panned in the Stone and other rags, but I always loved it...

Definately the night I saw Don Ross perform solo on acoustic giutar. I was absolutely mesmorized at the shear amount of sound coming from one instrument ! I had already been playing for 10 years or so but felt a certain lacking in my own musical voice that mere competence on the instrument didn't make up for. He showed me the way, I saw the light !

I can resist no mo...

Love this thread, and after typing out the novel: "I was born a Peruvian white army brat. Dangerous, yet melencholy, but in a musical way...", sheeeezzzz....

Reader's Digest Version:

3 yrs old: my oldest sister taught me the "twist" to "76 Trombones" (yeh, like we ALL didn't do that) oh, and you know when grandma used to wrap your balls in tinfoil and make you stand in a tub of jello... : )

4 yrs: "Girl from Impanima" moving, haunting melodic journey (I thought to myself at the time) unknown to others, I was listening at the top of the stairs whilst aunt and uncle lounge lizard entertained the well lubricated adults in the parlor... ( drunk, singing around the spinnet in the tv room)

7 yrs: learned "Jolly Green Giant" on the ukelele. (still have nightmares) btw, please respond if you actually know this tune!

9 yrs: "Are You Experienced". I think I was the only kid who even knew who Jimi was. This actually did have a major impact on everything that I heard afterwards... ( large memory void during the 1910 Fruitgum Company epidimic...)

Grand Funk (Don Brewer was inspirational)

Rush 2112 parked my dirt bike and lived at my drums ...

Billy Cobham 'Spectrum', I think Tommy Bolen was on that album... I realized Neil Pert was basically a hack... ( sorry Neil)

Return to Forever... all those cats... Dimiola, Chick, Lenny White.... errrr Weather Report ....

Anyone know Joni Mitchell "Mingus" ? wore that album out...

Saw "Max Webster" after ingesting strange mushrooms... any MW fans out there?

hmmmmm.... what was the topic again? heh heh

Beatles on Sullivan

Playing an actual real cymbal (zildjian)

Crankin my brothers guitar thru a sears silvertone amp and a fuzz face (?)

Getting laid with Genisis Seconds Out on the stereo

Vinnie Coliauta

Dave Weckyl

Pro Tools

Yup, I think that's about it....

Strange isn't it how many posts also involve sex and or drugs ? Perhaps such experiences were somewhat elevated by mere association? I saw Pink Floyd in Toronto after taking just about everything I could get my hands on, and I must say that sex while hearing "In the Court of the Crimson King" or Rimzky Korsakov's "Sheherazade" really does rate highly with me, it's those moments of real clarity between listener and performer that I truly get the most out of.

Archived