Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musical moments that changed your life

Music has fascinated me as long as I can recall, but a few musical "wake up calls" stick out in mind.

1) 1985, High School. I was VH-clonin', shredder adorin', 32nd note worshippin' teenager. Then a friend of mind plays me something off the Smith's "Hatful of Hollow." I scoffed at it, so he challenged me to take the album home and try to learn some of the guitar parts. What a humbling experience. I also got turned on to the Beatles around that time. My perception of what good guitar playing was all about was radically altered from that point on.

2) Other ephiphanies: the Orb, Massive Attack, Radiohead, Radiohead, Radiohead!

3) Getting rid of my first amp(a Peavey Bandit) for a Silverface Deluxe Reverb (which actually cost less at the time!)

4) The first time I realized you could transpose a blues scale by a few frets and have a pentatonic major scale. When you figure that bit out on your own (I was probably 16 at the time), you feel like God!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing R.E.M. in their early days left me feeling inspired. Was an amazing show in a small venue.

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last year I had the priveledge of seeing John Prine play his old High School gymnasium in good ole Maywood, IL. He had just gotten over throat cancer . The look of joy on his face when he walked out on stage is something Ive never seen from any performer anywhere. He seemed to be so tickled to be there. The concert was a benefit for the Maywood Fine Arts Assocaition, an after-school gymnastics program for underpriveleged youth in the community. John was a gymnast in High School and one of the directors of the program owned the dirty book store in Flag Decal. He expalined where pretty much every song he played came from. Chain of Sorrow, Sam Stone, Angel from Montgomery, Paradise, Donald and Lydia, Hello in There, and on and on and on. It was all just what he saw right out of his life true folk music. Totally un-contrived, totally honest the real deal.

His music has been a part of my and my familys life for years. Hearing him tell of the places and experiences from whence it came has had a profound effect on all of us. For me, this is what music is about.

geo

Archived