Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should government subsidize the arts?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand it a team of electoral supervisers is being sent to Florida from Rwanda to oversee your election.

How nice to see someone return a favour in this day and age.

Cheers

John

[This message has been edited by johnsay@lis.net.au (edited 11-17-2000).]

Ballot boxes missing for hours makes the whole thing a sham. That no one is talking about it in the media, nor is anyone in either party bringing it up shows that no one really cares about the legitimacy of the process itself.

The *process* is what is/was at stake here. The U.S. is built upon the notion that it's system of democracy is *superior*; with that notion obliterated everything else is rendered impotent and useless. The media is playing the game created by both mainstream parties - endless quoting and re-quoting what each side releases as press statements. Meanwhile the populace debates in circular logic about the very things both parties *want* us to be talking about.

Which draws attention away from THE REAL STORY, which is that the United States of America has a broken election system - and the people of the United States are doing/going to do nothing about it.

I'm one of the "morons" Aphajerk referred to who voted for Nader.

Yeah, I think the Republicans are going to have a party at the environment's expense over the next four years. Probably wreck the economy. BUT - in four years I think they'll have shot their foot off. I couldn't vote for Gore; he's just as corrupt, and his environmental stance has holes in it. Put him in for four years, same old same old, the populace gets bored and then put the Republicans in again - but for an 8 year stint or more. Back and forth.

I'm gambling Bush will make a fool of himself and the Republican party in such a way that they'll be finished in four years. I think more people voted for Nader this time than is reflected in the polls; write in candidates weren't counted in a lot of places. The next go around may be more interesting than this one was, and hopefully people will finally be fed up enough to put an independent in.

This just shows the American people are bozos in general; the faster things fall apart the sooner we can hopefully fix it. Let the Republicans go nuts: stealth bombers for non-existent enemies, no environmental controls; let them put new additives in our food untested; new drugs untested; let our cars fall apart in wrecks; get rid of welfare and watch crime skyrocket; push tort reform to the hilt, let anybody be a doctor; don't worry about the rich paying taxes; let the schools decay into nothing; wait until another 100 species of animals die before we decide to do something about global warming (yep, we're right back to the days of "global climate change is a myth!"); let's chop all the trees down ("Rush says we have more now than there's ever been on the planet in history!"); deregulate every big industry - don't worry about airline plane maintenance, long haul truck regs, standards on food imports/exports... all sorts of fun things.

... and if we survive it hopefully it will be educational enough that the American people will figure out it's time to get someone not hooked up with the mainstream power structure to fix it. Because the American people are generally spineless at this point. We're not going to change anything at all. For all the big talk from the right wing about having their guns taken away, they'll never use them to defend their rights. The left will never totally give up eating meat, give up convenience to ride a bike instead of drive a car, give most of their $100,000 income to charity. Americans - we're just full of hot air.

Maybe if our air makes us choke a bit we'll start taking researching the candidates more seriously, because NOTHING else is going to change the decline of America. Nothing.

How 'bout them MP3 portable CD players?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

florida was a highly fraudulent election, mostlikely due to jeb and the sec of state. anyone see saturday night live last night?

aint nuthin wrong with eating meat. now studies are starting to come out after people have given it up that the vegetarian lifestyle actually shrinks your brain [especially in women] and makes you dumber in the longrun. who knew? meat is the brains food, the act of humaniods begining to eat meat began our evolution to the current species.

man, those mp3 portables are TINY, and skip free.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

>>Which draws attention away from THE REAL STORY, which is that the United States of America has a broken election system - and the people of the United States are doing/going to do nothing about it. <<

No one was complaining about this when the "will of the people" was obvious. It's only become an issue because, essentially, this is the only election in modern times that was for all practical purposes a tie. Our society can't handle that. We're supposed to have clear-cut winners and losers.

I'm sure that fraud occurs, but I'm sure that occurrences of fraud are dwarfed by the occurrences of incompetence. In Florida, there were 6 million votes, and we're looking at a 3-digit difference between the two candidates. I just don't think humans are capable of handling 6 million of anything, especially when they're in different formats, and coming from different parts of the states. Machines make mistakes, people make mistakes. Only this time, it really matters.

uh, craig. you are wrong about nobody complaining when it was a madate of the people. our government [well half our government (banana republicants)] spent what $60million dollars last term to try and out the manadated president essentially wasting our money [that could have gone to education, i guess kids finally got their sex education] over a frickin hummer.

everything is lining up for conspiracy. the secratary of state in FLA, the governor, the original calling of the state only to be rescended and declared to the opposite side, the MISSING BALLOT boxes. the list goes on.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

>>uh, craig. you are wrong about nobody complaining when it was a madate of the people. our government [well half our government (banana republicants)] spent what $60million dollars last term to try and out the manadated president essentially wasting our money [that could have gone to education, i guess kids finally got their sex education] over a frickin hummer.<<

I was talking about a mandate of the people regarding elections, not erections. In other words, no one complained about errors last time around because the margin was big enough that even if a significant percentage of the ballots had been miscounted, it wouldn't have made any difference.

I'm sure there was some fraud in Florida...and in 49 other states as well. I don't think it's possible to have an election without some degree of human error and mendacity, because that's the way humans are. (And for the people who think machines will always count better, humans make machines, too. If you've ever had a bank made a major mistake, it's pretty easy to lose faith in machines).

I have lived in France for the past 7 years.

I just moved back to the US.

Man, I think everyone should HAVE to live in another country to be able to vote, or run for office or even drive a car.

Theres this guy in France that runs for president every time called LePen.

His stance is get the aliens out. Vive la France pour les Francais!

He got almost 20% of the vote, and his party has 3 mayors already.

We have 3 branches of government. No one branch is greater than another. One man (or woman) as president will not bring this country to its knees enviromentaly, economicaly, or socialy (although Clinton did try).

>>Theres this guy in France that runs for president every time called LePen.

His stance is get the aliens out. <<

I know what he means about those pesky UFOs - mutilating cattle, stalling cars, doing unauthorized medical procedures - I'm with him 100%. But seriously -- we have our own LePen, Pat Buchanan. I don't think Buchanan is quite as scary as LePen, though.

man vs machine. thats a good thread.

i find it odd though with the medias comparision to our credit card people running millions of times more numbers without nearly as much mistakes. fraud yes, but i have never been charged for something i didnt know about [nonfraudulant] or even better, not been charged for something i got, cant throw those ballots out could they?

anyways, the news is funny now, people have been arguing so long [especially leading up until monday] watching them now is hilarious, they are all worn out.

i dont think its right for people to call for al gore to concede and not call for bush to also. i think this is so close to call they should have a contest of some kind, ultimate fighting [the one who lives is president] and show it on payperview. i bet that would raise some $$$ for education.

anyways, i think this could all be avoided with a federal ballot highly published before the election for the presidency. get rid of the electorial college and just count all the ballots. to vote, you present your drivers license/id [we all legally have to have one or the other] and scan it in at the ballot. [did you all know i registered to vote in my new state way back in april and they didnt even have me registered at the polls? i had to vote provisional, im unsure they even counted my vote.] with all this technology, im sure they can come up with a better system. standardization is where consistancy is at. it needs to be adopted.

we could literally vote from our homes on the internet. the exact # of votes could be tabulated in real time.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

This is an interesting thread. I laughed a lot about

W Germany absorbing E Germany was sort of like having your crazy aunt come live with you
although I've to say (I'm German) that Germany has become more assertive, if this is the right word. Schröder (the social-democrat chancellor) said that Germany will be more German now. We'll see what happens, but we can state that Germany is becoming a hegemonial force in Europe.

Now to the arts. Germany is said to be a country of poets and philosophers. A lot of money is spent in order to keep things this way. German newspapers have big feuilletons full of deep thoughts and hard battles. Even my town (170,000 people) has its own classical orchestra and so on...

So there's a lot of "cultural life", but only a small part of the society takes part in it. Think of modern classical music ("Neue Musik"), i.e. Ligety (you should know him because of some films of Kubrick). Some is really good, deep, thoughtful. But most of the people don't hear it, don't know about it, don't like it.

Some people who work in the cultural "industry" are depressed (this word is a little too hard) because of this. They project their wishes on the US, thinking that American culture is always fresh and lively, without the need of deep and exhausting discourse.

Why do I write all this?

It's for two reasons:

First of all, music is much more important than football. The society should take care of its members, in this question: should help artists to get the things to live from what they get for their work.

But (that's the second thing) art need's a kind of sting that pushes people to create things. With a lot of cultural institutions and a lot of money being spent for things said to be art that nobody ever takes a look at, the art lessens. It is true that Germany has many feuilletons, but it's also true that you can write anything in a feuilleton - nobody will take care of it. A lot of the deepness and thoughtfulness is nothing but "intellectual autofellatio" (R. Willemsen).

------------------

Marc

[This message has been edited by Marc (edited 11-22-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this one up again but I've been seriously thinking about this subject ever since I realised that I was at odds with most of you on this subject yet I seem to agree with you on so many others.

I realised I support Gov Subsidies because I want to support my own culture.

In OZ we have a PBS called the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) and it is a national television and radio broadcaster. 2 x TV channels, 5 radio channels. (we have 3 commercial channels).

At the moment the No 1 rating TV show is called "Sea Change" and is screened on Sunday nights on the ABC. It out rated 60 minutes for the first time in 60 mins history. The programme is locally written and produced and had been offered to the commercial channels but rejected. The main reason being that because it is so parochial that it would have no chance of covering costs through overseas sales.

You see, the US doesn't need to protect it's own culture cos there is noone competing with it, yet here in OZ we are saturated with US culture, Our commercial channels are chocker with US programmes and we need our Gov subsidised TV or we'll never have our own culturally orientated programmes like Sea Change. Most of the OZ produced programmes on commercial TV are clones of US programming and style so they can get overseas sales to cover costs.

Just thank your lucky stars that you aren't dominated by US cultural imperialism.

cheers

John

>>Just thank your lucky stars that you aren't dominated by US cultural imperialism.<<

We are TOTALLY dominated by US cultural imperialism! We're the source!!

Reminds of when I was in Argentina and talking with friends about movies. At one point, one of them said, "So, what do Americans think of Argentinian movies?" He genuinely thought that Americans were faced with a dazzling diversity of entertainment, not just the top 10 movies at the local DecaPlex.

Ok Ok - shall i put it this way -

"just thank your lucky stars you are not dominated by Australian Cultural Imperialism"

Imagine having all your TV shows with Australian accents and social attitudes. All your commercials for Australian owned products, and all your records by Australian artists and all your record companies owned by Australians.

Cheers

john

Aw geesh - give me a break - I've been defending myself against Fletcher's last outburst in another thread and feel a little jaded at the moment. you gotta admit Roy and HG are something else http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

your olympic coverage can't have been too bad. The NBC crew you sent outnumbered the total staff of our ABC public broadcaster that covers 2 national TV channels and 5 national radio stations whilst being the official olympics radio braodcaster.

But hey - the new DA7 we bought through reading lots of musicplayer forum threads arrived yesterday so I've got knobs to fiddle with. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

cheers

john

[This message has been edited by johnsay@lis.net.au (edited 12-08-2000).]

>>the new DA7 we bought through reading lots of musicplayer forum threads arrived yesterday so I've got knobs to fiddle with. <<

Have fun with it, I still love mine. Don't forget to try the flanging effect, it's killer. Also you can do real time control of just about any parameter in the mixer by routing MIDI out to MIDI in, and assigning the MIDI fader layer to various parameters (great for wa-wa effects and playing noise gate threshold with drum loops). There's much, much more to this box than meets the eye.

Thanks Craig - we are indebted to you for most of the posts I read were yours, I'll tell the boys at Ramsa to send you the nominal cheque http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks to all at Musicplayer.com

Cheers

john

I didn't watch it either Alpha - I don't have TV at the moment. I've had sport up to here!! now if only I could get someone to sponsor me http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

cheers

john

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody, as this thread had a lot to do with the elections, and it's time for some laffs, I thought I'd let a medieval dude get in the last word.

In 1555, Nostradamus wrote:

"Come the millennium, month 12,

In the home of greatest power,

The village idiot will come forth

To be acclaimed the leader."

I thought you might enjoy that!

More from 1555:

Century X, Quatrain 721:

"In the land of greatest power,

The idiot drunkard shall be crowned king

Many nations laugh,

The new millenium - four years of the fool"

Just recently discovered lost manuscripts:

"There is a fifth horseman

from the Tower of Babylon (babble)

made leader by theft

The greatest land: confusion and idiocy reign supreme"

'Ol Nosty really was on the mark that day....

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived