Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So how do I get a collaboration going?

Hey! I just found this board. I'd like to collaborate on a song or two over the Internet, some sort of national or international rock band. Never done it before, though I've been using Logic for ten years and have a decent handle on it. Any FAQ on how to get this going & what's expected? Some of my Logic demos are on my website, www.keith-moore.net. If anyone is interested I'd like to hear from them. :)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hooper:

Heya David,

I've still been hangin' around. Just haven't been making much noise. But I'm glad to see that you're trying to drum up some activity in the Songwriting and Collab cornors. I'll be lookin' for a way to jumo in. :D

Hoop

That's what I like to hear! :thu:

Alright, I've read some past messages. I can create wave files of tracks easy enough, as well as import others into Logic. My first roadblock to overcome is get such large waves through email, so any tips there would be cool. Then...? Maybe I should create a track to a tune I've been working on and see if anyone wants to add an instrument to it?

Would be great. :)

Hey bdemon:

We've been using a site called www.YouSendIt.com. You can send files up to 1Gb. It uploads to their site and sends a notifying email to the recipients, who can then go download it. MP3 files are appealing because they're small, but I think we've all experienced some sync difficulties trying to use MP3's (and my belief is that it's the conversion software that causes the problems). So, stick with WAV's, but you can use a freeware product called Shorten to compress the WAV's to about half their original size. (Do a google search and you'll find it.)

If you need bass guitar, lead or backup vocals, or drums, let me know...I've done all those on the FOF collab project.

Welcome!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Actually, Dave, you wrote a nice little how to on some of the mechanics of the online collaboration process that worked for your group. You mentioned Shorten there, but only gave the PC link.

Bunny Knutson from The Project Studio introduced this forum to Shorten in 2003 (from what I can tell). In this post he gives links to both PC and Mac versions.

Keith, to get an idea of the different abilities you may find here, this post describes 2003's Fantasy League project, in which players were drafted by managers to form groups. At the end of the first (lengthy) post are links to the players and managers, describing abilities, styles, etc. Don't try to use it as a directory, though, to pick collaboration partners.

You'll be much more efficient with a post for a new project calling for current collaborators (at least that's the vibe I catch around here). Be sure to mention the style/genre you're looking for. There's no hard, fast rules, so that's why I think David "Nursers" Holloway (mod) often points to threads from previous projects to introduce us to the collaboration process.

I'm relatively new to this forum myself. Like Dave Sisk, my primary instrument is electric bass guitar, although I could do rhythm guitar or maybe mandolin.

I checked out your link, Keith. I really like the way your orchestrated/arranged some of your pieces. You seem to have some sort of classical background?

Good luck on your upcoming collaboration!

Classical background? Nah...well, I took all the theory classes in college. Thanks for givine it a listen. :)

Two ideas off the top of my head. One is a tune I've put together over the past week, a funk rock thing with a bit of cool synth noise thrown in. I did most of the drums with Apple Loops, so I was thinking it might be cool to put real drums on it. I can put a sample on that yousendit.com site if anyone wants to listen and fire back ideas.

The other idea is to team up for a rock tune. Guitar's my main thing, though I also play a bit of ztar (guitar synth thing) & bass & vox. Otherwise I'll keep an eye on this site and see what stuff you guys have going. :)

Hey Keith:

Listening to some of your clips now...interesting stuff, very polished! Why don't you post the two MP3's that you mentioned and let us have a listen?

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Dave, shouldn't you be mixing?

Back to work! :):P

Yes, I should indeed! Trying to get hold of David Holloway to get another copy of his keyboard tracks...I'm hoping I can just drop those in and post a test mix...haven't had a response yet, so I'm assuming he's away for a few days.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Cool! Here's the funk rock tune I've been messing with: http://keith-moore.net/audio/tummyache.mp3

Real drums would be great. Redone anything would be great, actually. :)

And since I'm fired up to try this sort of collaboration out, I'd like to post, say, a simple riff or something...see if that inspires others to join in. Just gotta get inspired first...

Archived