Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rebuild - Music composition / recording

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm - what kind of problem are you having? Shorten worked quite easily on my end, in both Windows & OS X...

Paul, I've been trying to get ftp set up here but the POS computer I was using doesn't seem to be behaving (that's what I get for dumpster-diving, ha ha!). Not giving up yet, though. I just need to try using a PC that won't freeze every 5 minutes...

If you can email it, try sending it to ckemp AT wheelerbroadcasting DOT com - that's my work email, and the server should allow me unlimited size.

AS FOR MY PARTS... :D

I have the chorus parts tracked again, and now I need to do the verses. After that, I'll send out a mixed guitar track that you guys can use. Probably have it up sometime tomorrow - getting late, & I need some sleep. Friday's my off day, though, so I will be able to steal some time during the day & get things done.

Still don't have any big revalations for the solo break in the middle, i.e. backing tracks. If you guys do, by all means dive in. (I can always mute it if it sux. :D )

Maybe just a big, gonzo breakdown in the middle is what needs to happen...?

Another option for sending files is a place called YouSendIt.com - you can send a file up to 1GB in size to someone, at no cost. They hold the file on their server, and then delete it after 7 days.

I just heard about them recently - like within the last week or so - and it seems like a pretty cool idea. Maybe give them a shot & see?

Originally posted by Christopher Kemp:

Hmm - what kind of problem are you having? Shorten worked quite easily on my end, in both Windows & OS X...

Paul, I've been trying to get ftp set up here but the POS computer I was using doesn't seem to be behaving (that's what I get for dumpster-diving, ha ha!). Not giving up yet, though. I just need to try using a PC that won't freeze every 5 minutes...

If you can email it, try sending it to ckemp AT wheelerbroadcasting DOT com - that's my work email, and the server should allow me unlimited size.

Cool, thanks!

I sent some files (mp3's) to Dave last night. I'll send the same to you. They're basically a simple, thin rhythm, a sample solo and a rough mix.

Hey guys:

Cool on the guitar tracks...I see your email Paul...I'll import this and give it a listen sometime this morning.

I *think* my email size limit is something like 20 or 30 Mb, not positive about that though. So, you should be able to send email me WAV files.

I just looked at that YouSendIt.com...that looks way cool...let's give it a try. Paul, send me the WAV's through YouSendIt.com, let's see if it works!

Cool,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Cool, thanks!

I sent some files (mp3's) to Dave last night. I'll send the same to you. They're basically a simple, thin rhythm, a sample solo and a rough mix.

Yeah, please do. You can try sending me the .wav files too, via yousendit.com, & I can put them in ProTools.

Originally posted by nursers:

Hey guys - I'm still happy to help out if I can - will wait for mix with guitar :thu:

Any suggestions on what sort of keys sound you are after?

Hmmm...good question...hard to say without the guitar tracks quasi-finished. I'd say probably something more along the lines of texture...maybe a string section sort of sound over the verse and chorus, then something a little more rowdy over the more instrumental sections...Hammond B3 organ? I don't know...use your good taste and judgement, and we'll go from there!

Thanks for asking buy the way!

One thing I'd like to hear: could you do something like an "orchestra hit" on count 1 of each of the 4 measures in the percussion solo, following the same chord progression as the verse? In my mind's ear, that would be way cool...of course, my mind's ear might have wax in it...rotf...guess I'd have to actually hear it to be sure... :D

The drop-out of low end on the percussion solo is still bothering me. I think I will go back and add something similar on the bass solo track.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, Chris,

Have you had a chance to listen to the tracks I sent? Thoughts?

Chris,

Can you see where blending/alternating the timbres of our two guitar parts would work - particularly in the chorus?

The solo part is pretty sloppy and excessive but I wanted you to have an example of what I was hearing.

Originally posted by Christopher Kemp:

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

The drop-out of low end on the percussion solo is still bothering me. I think I will go back and add something similar on the bass solo track.

Dave

Bass players... :rolleyes:

:D:wave:

:D;) That's why I like this little thumb thingamabob so much! :thu:

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave & Chris,

That 'You sendit' service is very cool but very slow. It takes forever to upload. I redid the parts synched to the click, uploaded them to their server and PM'd you the link.

Let me know please when you get them.

Chris, I used your work email so you should get the links there too.

Sorry it took so long.

Downloading now. Not too slow here - but it could be time of day, or your ISP. (Most have slower uploads than downloads.)

I heard the mix - interesting take on it! I want to get them with the tracks I cut the other night & see how they mesh. Right away, I was thinking of a little back & forth - kind of a call-and-response thing, between the parts?

Dunno - we'll see. My brain's kinda fried right now. We had an unexpected RAID failure this afternoon, so my day of turned into an evening at work...and I still have to go back...uugghh!

Well, good luck with the work thing Chris. Sorry I'm going to be away from my gear. Please post some sample mixes as you get more material included.

On the tracks I sent you...you've got each percussion part individually, but I included a submix as well. I think the percussion solo submix is pretty good...if not, just use all the individual parts to create a new perc submix.

You've got a lot of backup vocal tracks too. Use what best serves the song...I don't care if my backups get used or not, I just want the song to kick!

Let me know how it goes...

Thx!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hey guys,

Sorry, this weekend has been hell from a family perspective to get any keys done. It's Mon morning heree now, I have Tuesday off work so aiming to get track done then :thu:

My lower back went out Friday evening, and I'm still only at about 50-60% capacity for movement; I am working (resting) diligently to try and get this remedied asap.

I am in a LOT of pain.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Well, I'm really wanting to do this one, so hold on if you can. My kit is always set up and always mic'd, so it's no more effort than taking the Powerbook, 896, and a hard drive down to the drum room.

We have lots of "stock" in the freezer from my wife's knee surgery a couple of years ago. I may just have to have some Vicodin for breakfast tomorrow and go for it. :o:D

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

OK! The game plan is this:

I got all the tracks so far, which comprises Dave Sisk's bass & BGVs, FIL-3's Lead Vox & BGVs, Paul's guitar work, and my own of course. Our man nursers should have me a keyboard part (or two? three?) in a day or so, and offramp's gonna cut drums as soon as he is sufficiently medicated. :D

I'll create a rough mix sometime tomorrow, for nursers & offramp - maybe just basic tracks for them to work with - and then when I get their contributions I'll most likely cut another guitar track & get to mixing the beast.

If Foxtick's still up for mastering I'll send the mix to him first, then we'll get am mp3 cut for posting!

I'm pleased with how smoothly things are coming together, in spite of the minor delays (which are to be expected, IMO). :)

Archived