Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CD Design work.... contact address

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ani,

For a general contact address on the CD cover,

inquiries should probably go to you...

If you'd accept that role...

You've all along been the logigistical

hub of this entire project...

I certainly wouldn't object to you

putting 20to20soundesign as a

contact on the CD, either though... :P

I do think we should set up a web page to offer

complete production details, art, lyrics, mp3s, etc...

That would be where the CD could be ordered/purchased...

I'm not at all aware of how much "space" this

would require, but is this something that you

could provide space for...?

If there's a nominal cost involved,

we could all contribute to a fund if agreed...

I'll help with putting the content together, if needed,

coordinating the text, image & MP3 files...

If such a page existed, it could have

contact links to any/all participant/s...

This whole webpage thing doesn't really factor

in to this first-run "Players only" edition...

But on future duplication runs,

we could include the web address on the

CD jacket and complete the infoloop...

Bob

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

I am happy to host a web presence. The only thing would be that it is www.creativeshed.com/whateverwecallit

unless we wanted to purchase a domain name to point to it. Otherwise there would be no cost at all to host, am happy to wear it within my hosting limits. Someone would just need to send me the html files etc.

:thu:

Let me get the graphics where the Team Credits are listed done first before making determinations about web sites. I'm capable of hosting the site on my .com server and I'll be happy to do the web developing as long as we remain on FrontPage 2002 or above hosting servers. I think that to avoid issues that would arise out of sales, tracking inventory, reporting "whatever" to IRS and other details would need to be discussed prior to anyone just jumping out and assuming that challenge. Once sales start taking place, whether there is a profit made or not; IRS will come knocking to make sure that a business is operating within guidelines for whatever category they are set up in. If they go for non profit.... it needs to remain as such.... if they are going to sell for a profit, then permits, licenses, tracking of sales to ensure royalty splits, and other things will need to be discussed.

These things can get complicated very quickly, and Uncle Sam has a tendency to stay atop new endeavors involving placement of money collecting software and registrations to acquire this type of equipment for use on your site.

I would say that it would be wise to dedicate a domain to such a web site, and not tailgate it from already existing sites where the owners would stand liable for taxes, and adhering to business operational procedures established by our governments so to host external operations that would not return the expenses and headaches that could come about. Perhaps a LLC could be derived from this and we can look at setting up our own INDIE lable.... details and expenses could be discussed and hammered out and placed in writing to protect innocent individuals from getting stuck with undue processes not beneficial for them.

Just tossing out some thoughts, and concerns.

Right now I have to drop what I'm doing to take my son to a School concert... :wave:

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Geez Woman, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. What makes you think anyone except us will even listen to this?

I'm back in for just a moment in between dropping the son off for preparation and the actual performance time of 7:00.

Steve, we are AT that bridge now. Whenever "direct" product sales of any nature start taking place from a web site, there are strict guidelines that must be adhered to that keep a business above board. With my recent request for employment transfer to the US Treasury Dept, even on detail assignment, I was questioned as to the nature of my web site and they made sure that I was in compliance with all State and Federal regulations as part of the investigation. I only have one affiliate program and as long as earnings do not exceed $160.00 annually I'm not required to buy a business license.

Even PayPal charges their vendors a percentage of transactions. If a random audit was to be conducted to make sure certain people were reporting acurate information to IRS, the Federal gov't could request information of any type of registered vendor. They would be able to access raw log files containing IP addresses and transactions logged. They would also be able to review the companies tracking software that records percentages paid out to their users.

I haven't got time for more details, but the moment an individual sells product on there personal site outside of small affiliate programs; they become a commercial establishment and are subject to liabilities and federal regulations. FCC laws, and all the good jazz... not that I violate any of those things... I try to be very cautious not to step over the line. I try to be prepared for the unexpected..... such as the Treasury Dept. inquiry.

Of course, none of that applies down here ;)

I actually run an online business, so hosting the site etc is no biggie. I could even sell the CD's if it came to that (and I tend to agree with Wewus that it is perhaps unlikely to come to that, though doesn't hurt to be prepared), as i have merchant credit card facilities. The only downside would be postage to the US would obviously be higher than someone located in the US.

Originally posted by nursers:

I actually run an online business, so hosting the site etc is no biggie. I could even sell the CD's if it came to that (and I tend to agree with Wewus that it is perhaps unlikely to come to that, though doesn't hurt to be prepared), as i have merchant credit card facilities. The only downside would be postage to the US would obviously be higher than someone located in the US.

I was thinking about the fact that U.S. Laws would not be applicable in Australia; however, I failed to even think about "International Shipping" charges and complications with customs forms and etc. x-rays and media don't mix well.... I'm not sure if customs would x-ray a packaged CD, but who the heck knows with Homeland Sec. being what it is growing to be.

I was thinking along the lines of MPN perhaps looking into idea of hosting product of members while reclaiming percentages of sales. I dunno.

Cafe Press, the one with all of the Tee Shirts and etc has a section available to sell CD's. They get their flat $5.00 fee per disk and the customer claims whatever markup the disk sells for. They are already established as a merchant and could be added inside of a main site while being customized to take on the feel of the site. DJDM has Cafe Press on his site; he seemed content with the service. Plus, it allows you to sell other items with your graphics on them... they have a couple of tiers starting at basic for no charge and the going up to more advanced fee based packages.

Once I'm done with this design, I'll look further into Cafe Press and perhaps others of that nature that may exist. This sounds like a possible avenue, although I've never heard the sound quality of their CD manufacturing press; nor do I know the quality of disk they use. I'm fine with JackPine doing the pressing for now. Has anyone asked JackPine if he has a means to sell; it seems to me that he mentioned it at one time? Before we go looking into all of these options; we might have one right under our nose already in place.

I have "never" seen so much negativity in one place..... If you guys don't believe that their is a market for this type of project, well then, you are deeming yourselves a failure prior to ever taking flight. If you say I can't fly and you never spread your wings to find out, then you'll never know. Sometimes a leap of faith tends to be the best teacher in learning to do things you never thought possible. Kick out the cobwebs boys... we're going to the top!!!

Originally posted by nursers:

The only downside would be postage to the US would obviously be higher than someone located in the US.

Could we sell them "from Australia"

and ship them from the US...? :P

Or treat them like shareware and request donations...

We could offer download-only music/graphics...

Print your own package/burn your own disc...

Bob

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Originally posted by Ani:

I have "never" seen so much negativity in one place..... If you guys don't believe that their is a market for this type of project, well then, you are deeming yourselves a failure prior to ever taking flight. If you say I can't fly and you never spread your wings to find out, then you'll never know. Sometimes a leap of faith tends to be the best teacher in learning to do things you never thought possible. Kick out the cobwebs boys... we're going to the top!!!

You've got a great attitude, Ani... :thu:

The rest of us are going on the fact that

if nobody actually hears what we did,

then they can't not like us...! :rolleyes:

Right, guys...?

Don't mind us, we're just a bunch

of insecure, fear-soaked chickenshits... :eek:

Bob

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Actually, as I was driving the kids to school this morning I remembered having discussed this project with a friend of mines' sister, who is a top manager for one of the Barnes and Noble supercenters here in K.C. I asked her about the possibilities of us getting B & N to stock supplies of our CD and she told me to get back in touch with her when the project neared completion... There's a possibility there, and also, I looked into self-publishing at Amazon Books one time for the sake of Novel writing; I'm sure they would have a platform for digital media also.

I'm sure that if we could get the CD established with major book retailers, it would be far more accessible and we could pick and choose our CD manufacturer. I don't know beans about the manufacturing quality of CD media from Cafe Press, and also, where JackPine has agreed to duplicate our product and SHIP them for the price of $5.00 per disk; Cafe Press would charge the $5.00 flat fee to accommodate their manufacturing expenses and then charge shipping fees on to of that figure to the buyer... hence, the price to the consumer goes up.

I don't know what JackPine's rate would be for mass productions, if it were to come to that, but I'd be willing to give him a shot at competitive pricing with some of the big houses like Disc Makers and Europadisk. As I stated before, I have no idea about the reliability and quality of disks used by Cafe Press which would have a tendency to make me shy away. With JackPine being one of our own here on the forums, if he kills our efforts with less that perfect manufacturing.... WE STRING HIM UP BY THE TOES and force him to listen to Eminem and Britney Spears for the rest of his life; full blast and upside down. ;):D:wave:

Archived