Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fantasy League manager sign up

Sorry this took so long I been runnin' round all day ...

Hey, that sounds like a lyric ... hmmmmmm

The manager will pick the team members in rounds, each manager picking one player per round, and continuing untill all the managers have picked. This process would continue until all the players signed up are picked. It will be the manager who will act as the producer and team leader and organize and assign the roles to the team members. The role of manager will require some organizational skills obviously, and a creative nature. He/she will establish deadlines, mediate between the team's players and ensure that each player is in the role most suited to the project. They would also act as a true producer to guide the style and direction of the piece.

Here's the form:

Instruments played(please rate your level at each on a scale of 1-5 1= beginner, 5=expert):

Other skills(Composition, mixing, programming, etc.):

Main musical style/interests:

Any special considerations?(equipment available, bragging, heckling, etc.):

Link to an example of your music(if available):

We'll do a two week sign up, then we'll announce the draft.

To make comments, suggestions or ask questions, do it on this thread:

Fantasy League Brainstorming thread [/QB]

I really don't know what to put here.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:eek: I'd much rather not but, if there's a dirth of manager applications, I'll toss my tobacco chewing cowboy image into the ring though not until all other avenues are persued.

And, here's a huge caveat:

I know what I like!

Americana is my genre. Some of us could work together very well, but, others need not apply. Sorry Lee, drums ain't needed though can assist & wouldn't be dis-allowed.

Another is a possible lack of equipment/expertise.

I'm on DSL so that's ok.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Alright, I'm going for it. I'll be a manager, and remove myself from the draft.

I think we should only do this thing if we get, say, 5 people who are willing to manage.

I have a slow computer (466), but I think I can deal with enough tracks. If not, I can delegate mixing to someone who does.

I agree that Sylver and Anifa would be superb choices. I hope it's ok that I don't volunteer, would actually like to just provide some music and support from the background...?

I'd like to hang back and see what happens with the managers sign up. I think a bunch of people were waiting for the thread to open. If push comes to shove and we need managers, I'll jump over for sure.

Is there a rules page yet? How many people do we get to select? I'm starting to like this idea a lot because, of course, it goes along with my Gods Of Rock concept, of rotating membership. What is the goal of the league? For each group to produce a viable piece of music OR are we really competing? If so, we need judges, and referees.

Anyway, I'm definitely in as a manager. I'll post my qualifications later today, but most of you guys know me, so you know what they are. I might reveal a few things you didn't know but I am uniquely qualified for this job. We also need an official name for the league, and a logo, and a membership drive, need to get as many musicians in there as we can, and EVERYBODY plays, who wants to. This could be a great thing, and a learning experience for everyone. What can I say, I'm stoked on The Fantasy League.

Well, the general rules are posted on the main thread in the SSS. The rules are definately open for discussion, and can be challanged or amended on the brainstroming thread.

No, we're not looking at this as a competition, but more like a challange. The goal is to make the best piece of music with the team that you have, with everyone on the team participation.

And absolutlutely everyone who wants in is in, so long as they can record a track. Obviously, if you aren't able to record, it kinda leaves you out.

The size and number of the teams will depend on how many people sign up during the two week signup period. I was thinking that the managers could stop drafting when they are pleased with the size and make-up of the team, but that might leave people undrafted. What do you think?

BTW 3 managers so far, Wewus, Ani'Fa and Brakka.

Dak and I will do it if we don't have enough sign ups.

Dak, the whole reason I don't really want to do it is much the same as yours, I worry that I'd end up really dominating the project as a manager.

Sylver, I believe that you, Nursers, and Dak could serve as Team Moderators.... sort of like umpires to make sure that all teams are complying to the general outline. Also, a moderator would be able to see to it that draft picks are conducted in sequence and to assure that all players secure a spot somewhere. Meanwhile, they can do as they are now, soliciting for interest.

Sylver and Brakka seem to be doing an excellent job at getting the word out; meanwhile, I'm listening to linked mp3 files supplied by players to get a general idea of what these players are capable of.

Also, I think that we should try to recruit interest from the audio engineers. It would be nice if we could find mixing and mastering experts that would be willing to participate who can take the recordings to the highest level.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Just out of curiousity, since I don't know much about football leagues, is it within the parameters for me to inquire directly with players that I have interest in to find out more details? Or is this a what you see is what you get approach where there will be no contact between managers and players until the drafts are done.

Also, if we start getting an adequate amount of engineers to sign up, will we have a two tier draft program; or must we determine whether or not we want a star player or an engineer with expert skills as picks come around?

Another question is this, if we draft a player that is not meeting deadlines or who does not like the position they are assigned; where does this leave us and can "They, the player" withdraw, or will a manager have the right to bench them?

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Talk to whoever you want. Pre-draft research is the key to a successful team. However, don't only research players you want, it helps to put a value on every available person. When we draft, you probably won't get everyone you want.

In the fantasy baseball league I'm in, I didn't get ANYONE I wanted. But I knew all of the players that belonged in the first two rounds, and when my picks came I took who was left. Then the rest of the draft was basically choosing who I thought were the best players available for positions I needed filled.

I didn't talk to any players before that draft. :P

I'd say no two-tiers. Every participant is in the same draft.

Another question is this, if we draft a player that is not meeting deadlines or who does not like the position they are assigned; where does this leave us and can "They, the player" withdraw, or will a manager have the right to bench them?

You are the producer. What would you do if the person was working on your project in person? I'm guessing you'll have to play it by ear, but the most important producer's skill is interpersonal relations. Music skills come after managing personalities and time. IMO.

ome good brainstorming Ani'Fa! Yeah, I'd agree with Brakka, no two tier system. But I also think that making sure that all know that it's not just musicians that are elegable. People who are stictly engineers are welcome.

Originally posted by Brakka.:

Alright, I'm going for it. I'll be a manager, and remove myself from the draft.

I think we should only do this thing if we get, say, 5 people who are willing to manage.

I have a slow computer (466), but I think I can deal with enough tracks. If not, I can delegate mixing to someone who does.

I just re-read this! Does this mean that if you manage a team, you can't be a participant in the activities as a player?

If so, that really, really bums me out. I'll still be a manager, as I have committed to it, but I was really looking forward to getting involved in the collaboration process.

I don't see why the manager couldn't fill any slots which weren't filled by players. There's no reason to keep them out of the musical process completely.

But a manager who, say, really wants to play drums, probably shouldn't draft a drummer.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Oh absolutely! You just won't be drafted by someone else for their team. You as manager are the producer, and the producer can do whatever he/she wants. You can delegate every aspect to your players, or you can send them all out for a beer while you do it all.

When is the draft? Maybe in a week?

I had another thought- if we only have 5 or 6 managers, maybe each team can do two songs. This could solve the problem of having two bass players or 5 guitarists, and it would make for a longer cd if we decide to do that. Plus- if you've noticed- there are players who have said they love country, and some who say they'll do anything EXCEPT country. :)

I think I am in.. my issue is that I might get send off shore for 3 week sometime in teh next few weeks.. that would suck from a maanger proseptive:::

WOULD ANYONE BE INTERESTED IN CO_MANAGING WITH ME.

I can mix well (I think)... maybe master.

pre something in the fucky/newage or punk area .. not "pop culture" cookie cutter songs.

Kevin Nemrava (kevinnem@hotmail.com)

cool out!

Oh, yes, the manager gets to play if she/he wants to. They don't have to, though, but I kinda assumed that the manager would have some part as a instrumental contributer as well as managing.

As far as the draft, I had originally suggested having the enrollment period being for two weeks, which would put us at Thursday, May 29 for a deadline for regestering players and managers and maybe that weekend for drafting. Do we feel like that is too long an enrollment?

BTW, for drafting order I figured we could have several different ordering schemes together(say four for example, member number, reversed member number, post count and reversed post count) then randomly determine which method is used. Like ordering the methods secretly, then saying "The next person to post a number between 1 and 4 determines the method".

OK OK OK

I've been holding out here. I've got my new daw up and running (Logic 6.1 on Mac dual 1.42) and have complete confidence in my ability to edit/mix/master tracks.

If you need a manager I'm good to go. I would like reserve the right to insert a few bars of my own small contribution to the song

Cereal

Originally posted by Cereal:

If you need a manager I'm good to go. I would like reserve the right insert a few bars of my own small contribution to the song

Sweet! You can do whatever you want to with your team. Delegate everything, or fit yourself in wherever you want. YOU are the producer.

We seem to have a lot of bass players so far, so your new Stingray may not get used for this project.

Originally posted by Cereal:

OK OK OK

I've been holding out here. I've got my new daw up and running (Logic 6.1 on Mac dual 1.42) and have complete confidence in my ability to edit/mix/master tracks.

If you need a manager I'm good to go. I would like reserve the right to insert a few bars of my own small contribution to the song

Cereal

Wooo hoo, that's great news, Cereal! And I echo Brakka, as the manager, you shape the direction and organize people's talents, but you are also a musician, and can contribute however you see fit. Lay down the chord changes for people to work with, put down the drum groove, hang back and see what is needed to finish the piece, add whacky electronics, throw in a basson solo in the middle of a funk jam, whatever.

Hello everyone. I was busy while this whole thing was kicking off then I waited to talk to Sylver in person so I could catch up on it all.

I am well up for attempting to be a manager and collaborate in the roles of producer & engineer.

The problem I have is that I am moving around all over the place. It will be difficult to do as I dont have a steady home-base. Also, I might go days or weeks without personal access to a DAW or even the internet! However, with the amount of time thats being talked about (up to 6 months) I think we could work this out.

Originally posted by big K:

Potentially perfect Kevin. If needed we could share the management role and collaborate on the mixing & mastering. Mastering is a bit of a weakness for me at the moment.

John Scotsman

Originally posted by flyscots:

Hello everyone. I was busy while this whole thing was kicking off then I waited to talk to Sylver in person so I could catch up on it all.

I am well up for attempting to be a manager and collaborate in the roles of producer & engineer.

The problem I have is that I am moving around all over the place. It will be difficult to do as I dont have a steady home-base. Also, I might go days or weeks without personal access to a DAW or even the internet! However, with the amount of time thats being talked about (up to 6 months) I think we could work this out.

Originally posted by big K:

Potentially perfect Kevin. If needed we could share the management role and collaborate on the mixing & mastering. Mastering is a bit of a weakness for me at the moment.

John Scotsman

Sure thing,... yea mastering is not my stroung point either. so between the 2 of us.. well it could get ugly.

my email is kevinnem@hotmail.com

but I am in - useing cubase SX... you?

Kevin Nemrava - prehaps continue this over email, as to not flood the forums.

Archived