Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

up comings guitars

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

There was an industry mag a few years ago that did an article about sending demoes to record companies. They made a fake promo kit, and inserted a cd with NO AUDIO on it, to see if the record labels even listen, or if they just send you back the standard refusal letter, ie "We are interested in your music, but it does not currently fit are lineup."

Well, I can't remember the exact details, but out of more than a dozen A&R offices, only one actually called them on the fact that there was NO MUSIC on the CD!

So what do I mean by all of this? Basically the only way to get signed (besides having good music, working your ass off and being reliable), or really get anywhere in any career is to NETWORK. Figure out who you know, and who THEY know.

If you don't know anybody, think outside of the box. There are a million things you can do for publicity that people have never done before. Go out and play in the street, throw some benefit concerts and get on your local news. Make friends with your local radio dj's and get them to spin some of your stuff. Hell, if you can;t do that, get onto the college radio circuits.

There a thousand things you should do before you worry about sending a demo off to anyone, and I would venture to say that very few successful careers are started by a guy picking a CD out of the pile, listening to it, and going "I must sign this act!".

Just some food for thought. Hope everything goes well.

And no, I know of nowhere to find shred guitarist, besides your local guitar shop! :D

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived