Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rocket with SONAR? I don't think so...

Hey, there, nursers,

I really like the idea of online collaboration, but obviously Rocket doesn't support Calewalk/SONAR files YET. I don't have much desire to learn a different program, especially if it's only a free version. I was wondering if there are any plans to accomodate the Cakewalk file format. (?)

Also, would it be OK to use your forum here to try to hook up with other musicians to collaborate by just sending each other wave files, like puzzle-pieces to reassemble and use? Or would that be considered sidestepping the whole rocket thing, and therefore UNCOOL? I've done this with musicians whom I already know, but I've never tried it with strangers ("anonymous jams?").

Thanks, nursers! (see ya on the SSS!)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya dbunny!

My recollection is that there was something in the works with Sonar etc - might be worth emailing info@rocketnetwork.com to ask that exact question...

For the second part of your question, feel free to hook up other ways of collaboration - whatever works for you! :)

Would recommend checking out Rocket etc, even if only for a day to see how cool it works...

I'd love to collaborate online too, but I need Sonar support. It took a year to get proficient at Sonar so I'm not to keen on learning another program. I'll check out the website, though, just to see.

I think this would be an awesome place for guitar players to go, since from reading the postings, most of us are into keyboards.

Hi guys,

I REALLY understand what you mean by saying that you don't want to start learning another program after havin spent so long a time (for me it's years ...) getting really at ease with a software.

The question on the Rocket network may also be asked on the Cakewalk Tech support.

IRO your idea to collaborate with the members of the forum, I personnally find it excellent. Now, I am not really into Techno, but after all why not sharing our various ideas in our different styles, and, well, whoever has something to add up to tracks can try it.

Alex

Well, let's say that I write "chansons", based on a melody and lyrics, in French. Quite traditional would you say; yes, but I try to put as much personality in them as possible. I 've also played in the past in various Rock, blues bands, so I have also a feeling for big electric guitar tones, but this is mixed with my French musical influence that would go towards melancholic atmospheres, and acoustic instruments sounds.

Hope this explanation is not too confusing ... :confused:

Al

Hey guys - I like the idea of swapping tracks! I couldn't really get with rocket either - a cool idea, but when I tried (had to use the free version, of course) there just wasn't anything happening there. :confused:

I have done the swapping thing with a couple people, though - and it worked fine. We traded mp3s of rough mixes, and recorded our parts to those. In the end, whoever is going to mix would d/l all the wav files and have at it. Works good, especially if you can use a file-sharing application to do it instead of e-mail (size limits get in the way).

We did it with a thing called BeShare, which is a BeOS-based file sharing/chat client that allows you to set up direct connections via a central server. (You find each other via the server, but the connection is p2p.) Cool thing is that there are now clients for BeShare for Windows & Mac as well. If you care, :Dcheck it out here.

(BTW - I play guitar! :D )

I'll play the blues over just about anything. :D Actually, it's kind true - I basically come out of a blues/70s rock vein, with slight nods towards funk, rockabilly, jazz, and general sonic mayhem.

Ironically, of all the bands I've been in, not one of them was actually a "blues band".

So yeah - I don't draw the line too sharply. :)

Hey, Christopher!!! Nursers!!! Dirtyrubberduck!!! Anybody listening!

OK. Man, it's been like a week or so since I last posted here. I've been looking through unfinished files and making some mixdowns. I'll post some wave files and mp3s SOON for whatever kind of collaborational purposes you might devise.

If you want to check them out, to see if anything strikes you, PM me with your email address, and I'll hit you back with the URL.

Later, freaks,

-Bunny

PS: I assume most of you are keyboard or guitar players, so these are mostly rhythm tracks, ready for someone to layer on top. Of course, percussion freaks or vocalists are welcome to join in the fun, as well as any other instrumentalists. Let's GO!!! :thu:

Hey, thanks, nursers! (he must've clicked on my homepage) I dig your stuff, too! (I must've clicked on his homepage)

Hey, EVERYBODY!!! I have now posted my collaborational stuff online (it's mostly quirky, repetitive rhythm tracks). PM me, give me your email address, and I will email you with the URL where you can download the files.

Rock on, freaks!!!

-Bunny K.

BTW, I am going to start a new thread based on this... lookout!

Archived