Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kid's drum kit - what brand do you recommend?

Gruuve

Hi Folks:

I have a 2 year old daughter who absolutely loves music. (I play bass and drums, so she gets plenty of exposure to it.)

My wife and I want to get her a junior size drum kit for Christmas. I've looked at a couple, but they seem to be pretty crappy (like in the snare drum doesn't actually have a strainer...the snares just kind lie on the bottom head...sounds terrible to me).

I'm looking for a complete kit with kick drum and pedal, 2 or more toms, a realistic snare drum, one cymbal, and a hi-hat stand and hi-hat cymbals, preferably all in one neat little kit. I've got a Guitar Center and Sam Ash locally, so I'd prefer to buy locally, but I'll mail-order if what they have is crappy.

So, please post some suggestions on what brands to consider. I'd like to keep the price below $200 unless there's a compelling reason to go above that.

TIA!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, G.C. has two kits in the winter Ad, both of them $199 - there's a Jr. smaller sized kit by PDP

(by DW) 16"X10" bass, 2 mounted toms, hardware & cymbals included - this is probably the one I'd choose for a young child - but there is also a Sound Percussion 4 pc. kit with normal sized drums for the same price including Hdwre. & Cymb.

Of course there are many online bargains as well!

Good luck !

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

i'm sorry to tell you this, but your daughter is toooo young imho. she's probably way to small to sit at one of the sets they sell at GC. i know this as i helped a cousin buy one of them for his son who is 5, and it is slightly to big for him.

you might want to wait a few years! :wave:

Originally posted by zachg:

i'm sorry to tell you this, but your daughter is toooo young imho. she's probably way to small to sit at one of the sets they sell at GC. i know this as i helped a cousin buy one of them for his son who is 5, and it is slightly to big for him.

Actually, I'm going to have to disagree with this one! She's a very determined and spirited little girl. I have a Pintech/Yamaha electronic kit, and she attempts to climb up on the adult-sized drum throne...hasn't made it by herself yet. I help her up there, and she'll sit there and bang on it with adult-sized sticks! It may be a little big for her, but I still think she'll go nuts over it (I just hope it lasts past the initial excitement! That's why I want to keep the budget low...)

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

You oughta see my grandson Preston (2 1/2) go after his uncle's Tamas. The only thing is...he gets upset at the fact he can't reach the pedals. Even though it's mainly bangity bang at this stage...that's where it will start, with some constructive coaching.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Dave, it sounds like you already know what to look for quality-wise (decent hardware, a real snare drum, adequate tunability), so go with your gut feelings, especially since you're only spending $200 or less. Also, have you considered used kits? You could probably get one cheap and maybe use the floor tom as the kick drum.

One thing I want to stress is, no matter what you get, also pick up hearing protection. Two years old is way too young to have tinnitus.

Good point on the hearing protection. Will do.

Most of these kids' kits don't come with hi-hats...what's the deal with that? I can't imagine playing a kit without a hihat, or teaching someone to play a kit without a hi-hat...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Tedster:

You oughta see my grandson Preston (2 1/2) go after his uncle's Tamas. The only thing is...he gets upset at the fact he can't reach the pedals. Even though it's mainly bangity bang at this stage...that's where it will start, with some constructive coaching.

My daugther insists on emulating things that I do. :love: I bought her a ukelele so she can pick and strum that while I'm practicing bass guitar. And she does. :love: I have this feeling that she'll sit and her little drum kit and try to emulate what I do when I play my electronic kit. Like I said, she loves music, and I'd imagine by growing up with a dad who's a musician, she'll think it's perfectly normal to make music as well as just listen to it. That's pretty cool in my opinion... :thu:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, it is cool beyond words when the kids show an interest in not just music, but anything that's important to you. I can't play my guitars around my boys without them asking to play, too. Plus, we have a piano in the house that my 7-year-old loves to noodle on; I've always been pleasantly surprised that he actually picks out songs and melodies and doesn't just bang on the keys like most kids. Eventually, I'll tell my kids about my drumkit in the attic. It's not that I don't want them playing it (they couldn't possibly dish out more abuse to it than I have over the years!); I just want to keep them out of my crap-filled attic!

I bought my son his drumset when he was 2...he was playing steady drumbeats by 3 and he's still playing them, he's 5 now. I'd say the CB Junior kit was a good investment...other than a few missing lugs on the floor tom (but it still sounds ok) the kit is still in good shape. I modified the drum stool a little bit to get it lower, he had trouble reaching some things in the very beginning but adapted.

So yeah, they'll be a bit too big for her to sit down and play but she'll definitly be able to jam on them

These little drumsets aren't expensive so you can't go wrong really...if she loses interest you can sell them and some other lucky child will benefit

i'm sorry to tell you this, but your daughter is toooo young imho.

I too have to disagree with this comment.

I will never forget seeing Desi Arnez Jr. (who learned to play the drums when he was 3) do a jazz solo on the show - and it was really him playing - man that kid was great.... he was maybe 5 years old at the time and doing press rolls that were as smooth as silk - working his way around those drums without losing a beat.......

Nope - IMHO - not too young at all.

Rod

Thanks for the links! Both the Verve and DW Pacific kits look great. Looks like DW's had the best reviews (imagine that, eh?).

Thx!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Those little sets are so cool! And Dave you're so cool for wanting to get your daughter a "real" set! :) No reason she can't start getting into it... Buddy Rich was 2 when he started I think.

I didn't get a drum kit till I was in my 30's, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood. :D

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Those little sets are so cool! And Dave you're so cool for wanting to get your daughter a "real" set! :) No reason she can't start getting into it... Buddy Rich was 2 when he started I think.

I didn't get a drum kit till I was in my 30's, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood. :D

I think I'll buy Preston a drum machine... HAHAHAH...

Seriously though, we did buy him a cheap set of synthdrum pads that he could bang on. Just a plastic toy set, y'know...but it was something for him to bang on. This year, he'll get the real McCoy...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Well, Geneva will be getting a 5pc DW Pacifica Kit. I picked them up from GC yesterday. Cool! Thanks for the posts folks!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

hope she loves em! i have to say, i've played one of those sets at GC and it did sound pretty cool. the pedals were horrible, but the snare and cymbals had a cool sound.

everyone in the store looked at my like i was nuts :D

Archived