Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My new Ludwigs!!!!!!!!

ss

On 09/15/03 I was notified by my two labradors that the UPS truck was heading up my driveway. The driver, who I know, got out of the truck and said "their here". The first box he drug out was the box containing the bass drum and when I saw the big Ludwig logo on the box I knew what he was talking about (I've been expecting other items).

I opened all the boxes and set all pieces to my Fab 4 WMP Classic Maple kit on the floor. I couldn't find a single flaw on the shells, wrap or hardware and the bearing edges were perfect!!!!! Now for the sound check....WOW!!!! After about 20 minutes of tuning I got the drums sounding like warm honey and I could not believe how LOUD they were compared to my Exports.

The bass...punchy with that "boom" that I've been wanting.

The two toms...what can I say? PERFECT!!!

The snare...it took me a while but I got it to sound very close to a brass snare and will cut through anything. Go ahead bass players, crank it up!!

This is all with the factory heads which I've already pitted. I ordered an EMAD bass head and Evans g2 clears for the toms. I hope they will be as good as I hope for.

The big suprise was that Ludwig added WMP bass inlaid hoops for NO extra charge and I was happy to see all of the free Ludwig accessories.

Sorry for the long novel but I am still excited!!!

All of this for $1,650!!!!!! You gotta love Ludwig.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

My first kit -

Ludwig Rocker Elite - almost new in 2002

22" bass

16" floor tom

13" & 12" toms

14" x 5.5" wood snare

Gibralter throne

Paiste 502 16" crash and 14" hi-hats

Sabian 20" ride

Aquarian Studio X heads

Remo Control-sound snare head

red jam-block

all for $600

:D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I love my Speed King. I can pull off accents that almost sound like a double kick set. The only problem I have is getting it to always strike the kick head hard enough to get the power needed for the kick's sweet spot. Know what I mean?

it amazes me how a guy can get excited about a set of drumssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But what do you want, I am a bass player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and love guitars more.............

still, it is kind of sweet of you SS.. lol!! a baby and his kit, mmmmm!

I cant help it, when someone mentions Ludwig I think of Ringo Starr.... know what I am saying.... :P

Don't know of a link, really...just go to your local drum shop or music store...they oughta have 'em.

I used to use them a lot; they add a slight amount of 'tack' quality to the beater side (which was what we wanted, to help define the kick a bit in the studio), and add some mass to the contact point of the head so a) the head doesn't dent in so much right in the center, and b) the attack is ever so slightly distributed over the entire head.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by DC:

I've got a little four piece Ludwig kit from the 60's I believe. The drums have those gold logo badges. Anyone know how to date Ludwig kits?

Well, since they're traditionalists, you'd have to ask their Dads, first; keep the first one or three linda light, like a movie and a malt, then start going for the petting...

HAR!

Gold badges indicate mid '60's; blue and olive badges started around '68 or '69, I think.

You also might try taking off one of the heads and looking around the inside. Most are date-stamped. Mine are "Mar 06, 1970".

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived