Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum fads you're glad are dead...

Tedster

Well, I kinda liked rivets in the cymbals, but I'm REEEE-AAAAALLLLY glad those obnoxious synth toms of the late 70s went the way of the dinosaur. :D

But, maybe there are some synth tom fans out there...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh yeah, and clear shells... with or without the decorative "christmas' lights!

(remember Fibes? come to think of it, let's just throw the whole Fibe's catalog in)

Originally posted by drumtek:

North drums!!! (and any other "fluted tom" kits!)

And Peavy's kit too...

That weird Peavey kit that looked like a scuba decompression chamber for aliens or something?

HAHAHA...except that it'll probably be rare enough to be worth a lot of money one of these days... :D

Roto-Toms.

And then, their bastard cousin remarketing effort, Spoxe. You just KNOW some bean counter/marketing goon heard a dusty box of unsold Roto-Tom frames spill in the warehouse and said "HEY! THERE's an idea!"

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Damn... People just LOOOOOVE to make fun of the Peavey drums. Ya know what? I did, too, until I heard them. The expensive ones sound amazing. Our drummer has a customized, black set of the top Peavey drums... and they sound great. And nobody EVER has the same drumset when we play out.

Tedster... we recorded our whole album with that set, so you can hear them in action.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Were they weirder-looking than the new ones?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Yeah...Peavey tried to revive the whole North drums fluted/projector toms thing. Gag.

New Peaveys look pretty damned solid, frankly. However, I will readily admit to being largely unable to shed the 'crappy transistor amp for bad Southern rock' vibe of the Peavey name. Try as I might, can't shake it. It's unfair, I admit.

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'm REEEE-AAAAALLLLY glad those obnoxious synth toms of the late 70s went the way of the dinosaur. :D

Apparently you haven't heard Hellagood by No Doubt... :D

Syn-toms were kinda funky.

I'll second the whole GATED snare thing!

I heard stories of people spending big-bucks on a nice Sonar snare, and then in the studio, loosening the head all the way and saturating it with a gated reverb. What's the point???

I never had a problem with the gated sound as an accent. But NOT for the primary snare! Sounded like a tool box being dropped in a metal shed!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Yeah I hate the synth toms.......One group still uses them.....Manhiem Steamroller(sp). The guy has a set of V-Drums and punches in the synth toms sound......YUCK!!! Uses them ALL of the time....very boaring.

Now that I got that off of my chest.........

Jazzman :cool:

Ooooh....Color Sound. I had mixed feelings about that line. I liked the idea, wasn't sure about the execution.

I noted that Stewart Copeland had his old green ones on stage with him at the Police reunion for the R&R Hall Of Fame.

Originally posted by Jazzman:

Yeah I hate the synth toms.......One group still uses them.....Manhiem Steamroller(sp). The guy has a set of V-Drums and punches in the synth toms sound......YUCK!!! Uses them ALL of the time....very boaring.

Now that I got that off of my chest.........

Jazzman :cool:

I'll tell ya a little bit of trivia about the drummer for Mannheim Steamroller. He had a few hits on the country charts as a "country rapper". He was known by an alias, none other than the "legendary" C.W. McCall...yep, the "Convoy" dude is the drummer for Mannheim Steamroller. I shit you not.

New Peaveys look pretty damned solid, frankly. However, I will readily admit to being largely unable to shed the 'crappy transistor amp for bad Southern rock' vibe of the Peavey name. Try as I might, can't shake it. It's unfair, I admit.
My man, I must tell you: These drums are THE SHIT. I don't work for Peavey, and I'm not really a HUGE fan of their stuff, although I've owned some in the past. The high-end Peaveys sound really great. Admittedly, the hoops look kinda weird, but it's kind of cool to have drums that don't look like anyone else's when we play out. It's just one more element to seperate us from the herd. Plus, they managed to make these drums capable of producing some large sounds without being overly huge in size. The whole set is almost like a "stealth" kit -- our drummer only uses a rack tom, a floor tom, a bass drum, a snare, two crashes, a ride and a hi-hat. All told, we're talking four stands (he uses extensions from the tom stands to hold the cymbals.) There's next to nothing there. Looks bad-ass and sounds really sweet.

Plus, he knows how to tune 'em, which is the most important thing.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

"C.W. McCall...yep, the "Convoy" dude is the drummer for Mannheim Steamroller. I shit you not."

That's one for Chuck Shepard's 'News Of The Weird'.

Point of order: the Mannheim Steamroller guy WROTE "Convoy," but he did not perform it. C.W. McCall is a real, separate person. But together, they are responsible for one of the first 'rap' singles on the charts, thirty years ago, and damned if it wasn't a country song about truckers and CBs.

Concert toms, properly applied, can be really cool, but most people used them out of laziness. A drumshop-owner friend of mine and I were talking one day about how we'd like to see, in one pile, ALL the bottom rims, heads, and lugs taken off drums in the 70s and 80s. It's funny how most people used single-headed toms for a dead, thuddy, easy-to-record sound, but my favorite drummers who used them had a really sharp, melodic, "concert" sound with them, living up to the instrument's name. I'm thinking of Phil Collins, who still uses them (he likes the way they "bark"), and Carl Palmer, whose recorded sound on Brain Salad Surgery is a perfect example of single-headed toms properly applied.

The drum fad I am happiest isn't around anymore? Deadness. Remember twenty years ago when everyone's snare sounded like a bag of groceries, and the toms sounded like the drummer was playing the cases instead? Remember duct tape, Kleenex, FOUR felt strips on EACH HEAD of the bass drum PLUS a pillow, toms stuffed with eggcrate material? Thank GOD that isn't the style anymore, at least not with most people. I should hope not to find all that crap on any drumset belonging to anyone over the age of 21. They're DRUMS. Let'em RING. If dead is the sound you want, get rid of your drums and go back a couple of millenia and just bang on a hollow log instead.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

According to what I read, Jode...the guy who wrote "Convoy" was an ad guy from some TV station...who created an imaginary character to perform a commercial for a Jeep dealership. The character he created was "C.W. McCall". It was him performing as C.W. McCall in the Jeep commercial. The commercial for the dealership became such a success that he wrote other stuff, and recorded an album "in character" as C.W. McCall. This ad guy also happened to be a drummer, and became the drummer for Mannheim Steamroller.

I'll see if I can find a link to support my statement...stay tuned.

Originally posted by Tedster:

According to what I read, Jode...the guy who wrote "Convoy" was an ad guy from some TV station...who created an imaginary character to perform a commercial for a Jeep dealership. The character he created was "C.W. McCall". It was him performing as C.W. McCall in the Jeep commercial. The commercial for the dealership became such a success that he wrote other stuff, and recorded an album "in character" as C.W. McCall. This ad guy also happened to be a drummer, and became the drummer for Mannheim Steamroller.

I'll see if I can find a link to support my statement...stay tuned.

According to allmusic.com you're correct up until "This guy also happened to be a drummer...". No mention of Mannheim in his biography on allmusic.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

From the site: http://www.mannheimsteamroller.com/html/about/chip-bio.html

Over his 28-year career, Chip Davis has sold more than 36 million albums.

Of those, more than 20 million albums have been the Christmas music of Davis' group Mannheim Steamroller. The newest holiday release, "Christmas Extraordinaire" is well on its way to matching, and succeeding the first 3 studio Christmas albums in sales.

In addition to the Christmas holiday season, Davis has put his efforts full-force into creating four seasons marketing for American Gramaphone. In this he has developed many products for the mind, body and spirit. From putting Ambience into your home and office with nature's music, to Bath & Body products to help you relax after a long day. Davis believes that life is about experiences and adding music in conjunction with other senses, like smell, taste and touch you are addressing human feelings that rings accord with all of us.

Okay... now back to the story.

Louis Davis, Jr. was born into a family of musicians in rural Ohio and began his musical training at age 4, with his grandmother as his first piano teacher. He composed his first piece, a four-part chorale about his dog Stormy at age 6. By the time Davis entered the University of Michigan music school, he had found his true musical loves the bassoon and percussion. He graduated in 1969 as a classically trained bassoonist who also played percussion in the famous University of Michigan Marching Band.

After touring with the renowned Norman Luboff Choir, and teaching young people to love music, Davis took a new career path that would change his life forever. He began writing advertising jingles for an Omaha ad agency, including a series of spots about fictional truck driver C.W. McCall and his waitress girlfriend Mavis at the Old Home Filler Up and Keep On Truckin' Cafe. What began as just another jingle for a bread company became a national phenomenon radio listeners called stations to request the commercials be played as if they were pop tunes, and the TV spots were listed in TV Guide. With fellow ad executive Bill Fries, Davis accepted a recording contract, and went on to produce blockbusters such as the 1975 hit "Convoy," which sold more than a million copies within 2 months, and eventually sold 10 million copies. It's not surprising that Davis was named Country Music Writer of the Year in 1976.

In the meantime, Davis explored new ways of expressing music and discovered a style he calls "18th Century classical rock." He says "I don't believe in all-acoustic or all-electronic, all-digital or all-analog. My place is where they meet." He called his band Mannheim Steamroller, which is the name of an 18th-Century musical technique that we know today as the crescendo.

This exploration resulted in an album called Fresh Aire, which Davis tried and failed to sell to mainstream record companies. So innovative was this musical style that it did not fit into any of the standard industry categories. Innovative music demanded innovative marketing, so Davis founded his own record label, American Gramaphone, and distributed the albums not to record stores but to audio showrooms. Used to demonstrate home stereo equipment, Fresh Aire became an audiophile hit when listeners said "I like this turntable, but I really want the music playing on it." Orders flooded in and records sold from the U.S. to Japan to Germany.

Since that time Davis has produced seven more Fresh Aire albums, each inspired by the themes of nature, science and ancient mythology. Fresh Aire VII, which Davis describes as "an exploration of the nature of the number 7" was awarded the Grammy for Best New Age Recording in 1990. Davis released the final album in the series in August 2000, titled Fresh Aire 8, on the theme of infinity.

More than once Davis has turned his talents to aid a worthy project. When devastating fires ravaged Yellowstone National Park in 1988 Davis created a two-year concert tour and another gold album called Yellowstone: The Music of Nature. More than $500,000 was raised from the project to rebuild structures in the park, making Davis the largest private donor in the history of the National Park Service.

In 1984 Davis once again called conventional music industry wisdom into question. He announced that his next project would be a Christmas album and was told that he would certainly fail. Infusing new life into traditional Christmas music "Mannheim Steamroller Christmas" has sold more than six million copies and was nominated for a Grammy Award. With subsequent albums "A Fresh Aire Christmas," "Christmas in the Aire" and "Christmas Live," Mannheim Steamroller has sold more than 18 million Christmas albums. Davis doesn't put much stock in conventional wisdom.

He and his wife Trisha live outside Omaha, Nebraska with their three children, Kelly, Evan and Elyse. In the living room is the piano his grandmother first taught him to play.

Holy cow! I've met that dude! A really long time ago, like in the late 70's. That was when I was first hanging around in recording studios thinking I would like to work in one. I lived in West Hollywood at the time and there was a studio down the street from me (can't even remember the name of it now) so I just went in there one day. They recorded mostly jazz there, and I met a really nice jazz pianist who worked there a lot and was kind enough to show me around. Anyhow at one point he introduced me to a dude who was also recording there at the time and it was... you guessed it... Chip Davis! He was recording some scores, I think, that he'd composed for something or other, I don't remember. But he was introduced to me as the dude who wrote and arranged "Convoy" for C.W. McCall. They didn't want to give away the "secret" that C.W. was really a fictional character. :D Anyway they gave me 2 or 3 promo albums of C.W. McCall, and I really liked them, being at the time a very big country fan. Still have them I think - I will have to dig them up!

Too weird! But yes, an amazingly talented guy, and he was really nice too. After all I was just a pesky teenager crashing his party. :D

Alright. I am getting this thread back on track!

Drum Fad that I am glad no longer exists ... black drum heads!

Remember when it was cool to have all black heads on top. After one gig ... they looked like hell!

DJ

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

A really long time ago, like in the late 70's. That was when I was first hanging around in recording studios thinking I would like to work in one.

After all I was just a pesky teenager crashing his party. :D

Cool, Lee! How did you end up hanging in recording studios? Did you just approach them, or did you know people who knew people? What put 'the bug' in you? How old were you at the time? Couldn't have been too old, considering you're only like 29 now... ;)

I want to read the Lee Flier biography... I bet it would be interesting... Who would play your part in the movie of your life?

Sorry, I know that is off topic...

Ummm, lessee... Double bass -obligatory 80's heavy metal kit. At first they were kinda cool and different, but then EVERYBODY had to have them and it just got stupid.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by djarrett:

Alright. I am getting this thread back on track!

Drum Fad that I am glad no longer exists ... black drum heads!

Remember when it was cool to have all black heads on top. After one gig ... they looked like hell!

DJ

Thank you!

The only place I thought black heads looked remotely cool was on the front of the kick...kinda took the attention away from this 'big round thing' right behind the vocalist.

Djarrett sez: "Administrator

Member # 6556

posted 05-10-2003 11:04 PM                      

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright. I am getting this thread back on track!"

---------------

You want the thread back on track, or you want to grow the drum forum? Choose one...

hey Lee, Nobody could rip the rock&roll guitar like that without having been a serious country fan.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Actually, although I like BSing about odd facts that Mannheim Steamroller's drummer is really C.W. McCall, I am really interested in the whole "fad" thing, about the human dynamics of what makes something an overnight success and, a month (or so) longer a flop. And it seems as though the percussion world has had more than its share of those, second only perhaps to the keyboard world. Ya think? Or do drum "flash in the pan" fads even surpass those of the keyboard world?

Archived