Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Player - wants to Drum

SteveC

Hi guys. I came over from the bass forum. I have always wanted to learn kit. I tried (sort of) when I was younger, but it never took. I didn't have time as I was learning bass.

Well, I have the itch again, and I think I have the time. I know a teacher, actually, we play in a band and teach together at the local store.

Anyway, the problem is I live in an apartment, and the neighbors bitch. My bass playing has to be quiet, not headphones quiet, but quiet. I need to practice, obviously, if I'm going to improve.

I would like to use a regular kit, but it will obviously be too loud. I have seen some mute pads or something like that that you can put on your acoustic kit. Do they work? Anyone had any experience?

My other (and more expensive) option is an electronic kit of some kind. The Yamaha DS9XPSII DTXpress seems to have the best options for the money.

What do you guys think? What is my best option? Thanks for your help.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say a set of mesh heads for your drums, and old t-shirts over the cymbals. Switch the heads for the real thing if you take them anywhere.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Steve:

You bring up something that seems to be an on-going challenge for drummers.

Practice Pad Kit - Great for practicing, but do not offer "real" response or feel. Not useful for playing out ... in any way!

Electronic Kit - Provide great sounds, many kit options, but ... they do not offer a real feel ... even with mesh heads. Most folks love their electronic kits, but would not play out on one. Who wants to have to set up one?!? Too many wires to run!

Mesh Head Kit - Great invention. Unfortunately, they are really a lower quality kit as currently offered by most companies. Pacific Drums (a division of DW) offers a kit that has mesh heads on one side, and then you can flip the toms over ... and there are real heads, but ... this is not a professional quality kit.

Hard decisions!

DJ

DJ don't jump on me but I would get an electronic set, use head phones. Most sound modules play music parts and alow you to play along for practice and you would be able to pound as much as you want without affecting the neighbors. If you are starting out and want to start to get into drumming, I would do this. This would also help if you wanted to record yourself playing with direct plugin to recording gear, including your bass.

Of course it is not the real thing but it will allow you to learn in silence. Isn't that what you want to achieve?

Have fun learning, I've done the same thing with keys, bass and a 6 string guitar as an original drummer. ;)

Just some logic and an opinion to the question my friend.......

Jazzman :cool:

I'm a drummer beginning to play bass. I have both an acoustic kit and an electronic kit. The electronic kit is a Roland V-Custom. It comes with the Roland TD-8 module, and I also have the Roland PM-3 monitor system. I have rehearsed before with my bass running through the mix input jack of the TD-8, and it works great. A guitarist I was jamming with ran his Strat through his Line 6 pod and into the TD-8 and he loved the sound of the PM-3. He said it sounded better than his amp. Anyway, I love the electronic kit. The mesh heads feel great and I've played with headphones as well as live and it rocks. I've also used silent foam pads that fit over acoustic drums and cymbals to reduce noise, but I hated it. There was no feel, or tone (obviously) and the kick drum still was pretty loud even with the pad over the batter head -- all that low frequency vibration just carried through. It's cool that you want to learn drums -- go for it! Save for an electronic kit. The Yamaha DTXpress II sounds like a good value at around $1000. Also try the Roland V-Club. I really like it, even though it doesn't come with mesh heads. It sounds fantastic and it's a blast to play. It's about $1300. If you ever want to play live, though, plan on spending some money for good amplification. The Roland PM-3 is perfect -- designed specifically for electronic drums, not keyboard or guitars, so the dual 10 inch woofers in the main 100 watt section really kick out the lows while the two satellite 2-way 50 watt speakers deliver the highs in stereo panning from left to right just like a real drum kit would sound.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Archived