Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dare you drum without earplugs?

teh dri

seriously, how many of you drum WITHOUT earplugs?

im an engineer too so i wear soe cheap earplugs really loosely, pushed just enough in to roll off the top end

when i say cheap earplugs i mean those orange "MAX/Howard Leight" foam ones or the yellow "Classic" ones you see everywhere from factories to gigs

also, im not even that heavy a player. my 5b's bang over nicely over some groovey breaks, not 2b thumping metal mayhem

i guess the room im in contributes to why i wear them (my drums are in a small "bright" sounding room off my bedroom/studio)

but yeah, anyway i was just curious to see what you guys do

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our drummer beats the living hell out of his kit on many occasions, and does not wear earplugs. He keeps saying he should, but after 30 years it's hard to change. Funny thing is, he lost much of the high end in one ear years ago - NOT due to drumming, but because of a virus. He's really pissed to this day that "I have hearing loss and it's not even from rocking!"

--Lee

I go through phases. I'm in a definite earplug-wearing phase right now and I hope I keep with it. I just can't stand the things. It's like it takes 1/3 of the life out of the playing. Singing's also a bitch. I hate 'em, but I wear 'em when I force myself to. The lower the db cut rating the better.
Just for the record.

Yeah it really sucks how much the plugs squeeze the life out of the sound. I keep wanting to get one of those fancy custom fitted pairs from an audiologist, which are supposed to cut all frequencies evenly. Lots of people swear by those and say they actually improve the listening experience. But they're like $100 a pair which I just can't swing right now... hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to.

--Lee

Brad, I don't think they're called anything special, but you can only get them from an audiologist and they are custom fitted to your ears. If you call an audiologist, tell them you're a musician and would like to get the special musicians' earplugs that cut evenly at all frequencies, they'll know what you're talking about. I've already talked to the doc, and am real excited about the idea of getting the plugs, just gotta get the extra cash (hopefully after the holidays! LOL).

--Lee

frozen, check out Etymotic earplugs at www.etymotic.com

They make all sorts of earplugs up to and including the custom made ones.

I use their ER-20 model, about $12 a pair including shipping, and they do a good job of reducing sound with the frequency balance preserved, as advertised. They are cheap enough that I keep several pairs around, and I also gave a set to my brother and my son, who also play drums.

These are a big improvement over the squeeze-and-release foam type, which kill all the highs.

One strange thing, though, they advertise that they reduce sound by 20dB on the website but the card that comes with them claim only 12dB reduction. Whatever, for my use that works fine, and their other models offer different levels of reduction.

The only time i don't wear them is when I'm doing low-volume stuff. I.E. casuals, acoustic gigs, etc. Which means 99.9% of the time i wear them. I currently am using the cheap bright orange foam ones, but will go back to the molded ones in the spring. They are only about $100 or so, and well worth it. They come in a 15-25DB range, I'll probably just get whatever the DR. recommends. I used to have the 25s and dug them.

You must protect your hearing. To not do so is simply irresponsible. Bottom Line!

Some drug stores carry these cotton filled ones which I tried recently and now use exclusively. You don't pinch and roll them, just shove them in there. So they're easy to take on and off. They have the lowest db cut rating I've found in a commercial brand (20 db). They seem to retain the highs more than others, and for some reason, isolate just the right frequencies, especially for singing. Definitely the best over the counter type I've used, but they still suck. By the way, those orange things are horrid. I used 'em for a short while, but it wasn't long before I couldn't stand them anymore.

I've had the etymotic ones on my "to do" list for a while now. One of these days I'll get some.

Just for the record.

I NEVER perform w/o hearing protection.

Having lost a fair amount of hearing due to age (45), illness (cancer and chemotherapy), it's vital to me to maintain what hearing I have left for the rest of my life.

I have used the Sonic II plugs for over 10 years now, and recommend them highly. These cut the sound levels enough to protect my hearing, but allow me to hear the band and my kit "almost" normally. I don't hear some of the higher pitched stuff, which just goes to protect my hearing in that damaging range, anyway!

The Sonic II's are $9.99 from Interstate Music (www.interstatemusic.com) and other retailers.

larryt, I used Sonics for many years, they work fine, but they only offer 6dB of protection, which ain't much. Now that I am of a certain age I find that the Etymotics 12dB, which is four times the protection (doubles with every 3dB) works better for me, but, as always, YMMV.

BTW, Interstate Music sells the Etymotic ER-20 as "E-A-R Group Hi-Fi Earplug" for $17 plus shipping, more than the $10 plus shipping that Etymotic sells them for direct.

felix, how do you spell d-e-n-i-a-l? ;)

I will have to contact my doctor to see if he can point me in the right direction. I would like to preserve my ears and still beat the hell out of my drums LOL. I mainly love to record, so I would like to keep all damage minimal. I'm using NR33's right now and I would like to keep it that way, if I could hear a balanced frequency response. Does anybody know how long those custom earplugs are good for?

Brad

• 1 month later...

I use a pair of Proplugs (http://www.proplugs.com) and they are the best I've had so far. They come in one vented version (the one I use) and one nonvented. The vented ones don't make you feel that locked out of the real world as many other plugs do, and they don't take out too much of the sound.

Very discrete aswell (when they are new anyway ;) . Also quite cheap.

I am a percussionist and engineer. I started playing technical snare drum 10 years ago. Went on to march in drumcorps and then gave a lot of the drumming up in favor of engineering. About halfway through the process I lost some hearing in my left ear. I went to an audiologist and had special inserts made for my ears. They drop about 40db off the loudest of sounds and keep everything sounding like it normalling would only softer. They cost about $400 but I have only ever had one pair. They work so well I wear them home so my wife isn't so loud too :)

I know they have saved my hearing from live so I can mix in the studio. You only have one set of cilia (little hairs that allow you to hear) They die under loud sound and never grow back. Don't kill them till your ready to retire :)

Hope this helps.

www.prometheus-design.com

I am a percussionist and engineer. I started playing technical snare drum 10 years ago. Went on to march in drumcorps and then gave a lot of the drumming up in favor of engineering. About halfway through the process I lost some hearing in my left ear. I went to an audiologist and had special inserts made for my ears. They drop about 40db off the loudest of sounds and keep everything sounding like it normalling would only softer. They cost about $400 but I have only ever had one pair. They work so well I wear them home so my wife isn't so loud too :)

I know they have saved my hearing from live so I can mix in the studio. You only have one set of cilia (little hairs that allow you to hear) They die under loud sound and never grow back. Don't kill them till your ready to retire :)

Hope this helps.

www.prometheus-design.com

• 3 weeks later...

You must get custom molded earplugs! I tried all the universal ones...some were better (like the ER-20), but I was still hitting my cymbals/hi hats harder than w/o any plugs.

Plus, they suck.

Finally got the custom molded Westone plugs web page check out #49 on that site. These have removable filters! When I got them they had -20db filters, later got -15db filters and I swap the filters depending on sound level. I see now that they have

-9db filters!

I can't express how wonderful these were, very flat (not perfect flat, but flatter than anything else). They are also very comfy. Now, I got them about 7 years ago and the total cost for fitting and the product was about $120. This was from the House Ear Institute in L.A (I think they were probably cheaper than a private Doc).

For this amount of $$$ it is truly ridicules to not get them. I mean, minimum car insurance is at least 3x more.

Drums (and many other things) WILL damage your ears! No questions about it, at all. The problem is you may not notice the damage until a few years down the road.

When playing, your body turns the gain down on your hearing, so as to not be painful to yourself. Then, as you start turning up the Volume, You don't have any idea just how much louder you got---and there is no pain. It's a bad cycle. But you WILL pay for it.

With these custom molded plugs, they have made drumming a safe sport for me---as I'm also a Recording Engineer, so my Ears are very important to me.

Also, since these plugs are sooo good, I take them with me EVERYTIME I go out at night. Any Live music, Dj's, etc, they pop in my ear! Perfect!

I CAN NOT IMAGINE LIVING W/O THEM! If I lost them I would immediately get fitted for another set the next day!

Some hints for getting the most performance out of them: Insert them Before you play, preferably an hour before. Your ears will adjust for the lower sound level and your body will raise your "Ear" gain. Your ears will also adjust for some of the high end loss (there is some, it's not perfect and could not be made perfect because low bass frequencies will bypass the ear and conduct through the body/bone). When you start playing, you will hardly notice that you have plugs in (as mentioned they are soo comfy, you forget they are in).

Lee Flier: If your not using any plugs now, borrow the $$ to get these plugs! We humans just were not designed to handle anything but a split second Thunderclap here and there.

Flea Man.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Flea man ]

I never drum without ear protection. I just use the same old howard.. green ones. The typical foam type in industrial settings.

I think earplugs actually make everything sound better. There is no point in me hearing the full range. The ear plugs just clear up the whole mess. With the clarity, I myself can better focus on the whole picture. There is no point in me hearing the full range. I can do that on playback at acceptable levels.

Not to mention, I play more by feel than sound. It's it's loud enough to need earplugs, than it's loud enough for me to feel it.

When I drum I wear green foamies AND some pro muffs [This is playing alone, I just use the foamies when I'm not alone so I can hear the guitar/etc, too.] What is great about this is I get a sound that is approximates what I'm getting on tape.

Too many years of guitar, concerts, car stereo episodes, and what-not made me realize the need for plugs. I still give my ears a little hell now and then. I just do it in moderation.

I'm not going to entirely give up living or what's the point? :)

Lee,

I checked out For Love Or Money. Made me think of CCR. If you are a CCR fan, you'll see the plus in that. I'm gonna let my ol' lady hear it, she's a big CCR/Janis fan.

You should also have a No Trends seal of approval. \m/

-I was messing around with some logo action for the organic music thing. Most of my stuff is written and recorded in a couple days. A lot of it gets improvised. I just work in losse structures and bust out a few takes and save the one that works. It's all 4 track tape stuff, so I'm lo-fi credible, too! :D

(If I just figure out this damn VSR-880! :mad: )

-dr destructo

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: the stranger ]

I used to play without any hearing protection all the time, I've just started sing earplugs though, I've gotten to the point where my ears aren't ringing after playing, my hearing is just dulled and I don't think that can be good.

I use a cheap set of hearos, the orange rubbery ones, they sound like shit but protect my ears. I also have a big set of industrial ear muffs that I wear when I'm alone, they improve the sound, add that studio quality to it but they look dumb and I can't hear anything but the drums with them on.

• 1 month later...

I almost always use the yellow sponge ear plugs when I play the drums. They not only help my ears, but my nerves also welcome the quieter practice. I sometimes will use a practice pad though. However when recording and mixing, I don't wear earplugs.(sitting in the control room that is) Speakers can be just as damaging, but I am listening for the smallest bits of noise or distortion.

And YES I do play harder when I wear ear plugs, BECAUSE I CAN.

Dan

http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

For recording I can't recommend enough the Ultra Phones from

www.gk-music.com

They are basically shooters mitts with Sony MDR-7506 speaker elements in them, great concept. gk-music offers several versions but the Ultra Phones are the ones to go with. Great if you work with a click as well. They come with a travel pouch so you can take them to the studio. You will not need to bring your own if you work in my studio, I keep three on hand.

-Mick

I can vouch that the costly molded ear plugs are the best investment!

$400 seems like a lot, but what would you take in terms of money ... if someone wanted to buy your hearing?

Seems to put it into perspective!

DJ

After dragging my feet for years I finally sprung a 120$ for the westone molded earplugs. They are amazing! After wearing the disposable kind that seem to kill all high end, and somehow boost the low, they are well worth the money. Being used to in-ear monitors, I now can't seem to play using wedges or watch a band without them.

We keep it really quiet on stage, so earplugs are not at all necessary. I play with a vibraphonist, so that sets the dynamic levels.

I do need to get some of these nice custom fitted flat EQ type plugs though, so I can avoid damage from the other bands on the bill...

and at other concerts...

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

We keep it really quiet on stage, so earplugs are not at all necessary. I play with a vibraphonist, so that sets the dynamic levels.

I do need to get some of these nice custom fitted flat EQ type plugs though, so I can avoid damage from the other bands on the bill...

and at other concerts...

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived