Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what ever happened to the Spin Doctors?

i was listening to 'Pocket Full of Kryptonite' today and got to wondering......these guys are (were) pretty damn good, i wonder what they are doing these days. anyone?....anyone?...bueller?
0096 2251 2110 8105

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UGGGHHH.... I sure HOPE they went away. I heard a few of their songs on the radio when they came out, too, and thought they were kinda cool catchy tunes, didn't think they were too bad. But then I happened to see them live... only because Screaming Trees and Soul Asylum were also on the bill and that was who I wanted to see. But hey, I paid to see 3 bands, might as well hear the Spin Doctors. BIG mistake. I have never actually seen anybody else whose records so misrepresented what they were really like. I don't even know how to describe it... I think the lead singer was about the most annoying, cliched, big headed poser I'd seen in a long time. And the band were just wankers too, they sounded like some 80's jam band nightmare, or maybe a Supertramp tribute band, or I don't know what... all I can tell you is, they sucked big time. And they sounded nothing like their record. I was truly offended by this show, and it's just a damn good thing it wasn't them I paid to see and the other acts were really good, or I'd have demanded my money back, for false advertising. If anyone associated with these guys is reading this, PLEASE don't bother to get back together and do the nostalgia tour. Just go away and I will say no more about how much you sucked, OK? Now I'll tell you how I REALLY feel. :D

hmmmm Lee....sounds like you're holding something back...you should tell us how you really feel about the Spin Doctors and stop beating around the bush, cut to the chase...dammit :D i never saw them live...and judging from your post, probably good thing that i didn't. when i first heard 'little miss' on the radio, i HATED it, i thought (and still think) that song should die. "why do you have the CD then?" you ask? well, i had borrowed a freind's car one day to drive from van nuys to barstow (very long drive)and the only CD that he had in the car was...yup, you guessed it. i listened to it from begining to end (except that damn 'little miss' song - skipped right past that one) and i liked it...so i bought a copy for myself. sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with them.
0096 2251 2110 8105

They sure had a cool natural sounding snare intro on that one song. That live show did seem to lose a lot of eager fans, not just you Lee... They signed up to do some big commercial contract on the basis that it would only appear in Asia, not in the States, so as not to sully their image... I don't miss them. But I wonder what whoever laid down that drum track is up to?

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Actually I prefered their live sound over their recorded sound. Live they took alot of chances, way outside the box. The recorded stuff sounds too happy upbeat for me, from song to song. Live they are a jam band of sorts. Good guitar on the album. But to me the best of this lot was Blues Traveler.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I heard the lead singer had some sort of disorder that permanently destroyed his voice - now he can only speak in a whisper. That's a good thing because while that "Little Miss" song wasn't terrible (pretty mediocre though), their "funk" songs REALLY sucked the moose's cock. A perfect example of what happens when white stoners listen to James Brown and only hear the 9th chords.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

aw yes the spin doctors. princeton nj area druggie/geeks who stubled into something big along with their frinds blues traveler. if my memory serves me: for years they were kinda the house band at a dive nyc bar called nightingales. (lots of drugs/college kids/pool table/holds about 50 people) made it big with their little 2 princes hit. drummer plays the same damn fill every fill. songs were catchy, but live..... one microphone. NO background vocals despite the record having mucho. long drawn out boring jams. made it boring for me since i don't smoke pot. anyways, the guitar player was a big junkie, so the gave him the boot after they got huge. OOPS, the guitar player wrote alot of the tunes. yikes. several years later (an eternity in pop music) found the spin doctors playing at...... you guessed it. nightingales in nyc. i believe they are now back with all the original members and doing the package show/behind the music/nostalgia circuit. (yes the 90's are now nostalgia! and no i can't spell it right!) -d. gauss

"A perfect example of what happens when white stoners listen to James Brown and only hear the 9th chords." Hee hee hee! For many years I couldn't stand 9th chords on the guitar because of folks like that... many of whom were not stoners, and many of whom were not white. I know EXACTLY what you mean though!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Boy, the Average White Band sure had the language down to a comma- they learned every nuance known. My only dig at them is there's no way you'd ever know they were all scottish- you'd hope they'd bring something of their own to the party, maybe some haggis?

I really dig his midline-distorted jangle-stratty guitar tone. That's the first thing I noticed about them.

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

[quote]Originally posted by Gabriel E.: [b] [quote] I hope those guys in Tower of Power and AWB don't hear you guys!!!!! [/quote]I don't have a problem with them - they did it well. The Spin Doctors did not.[/b][/quote]Yeah, exactly.

[quote]Originally posted by Poelo: [b]Lee Flier wrote: that fake funk shit just made me want to hurl. ----------------------------- So what is the Stones to you? Fake blues shit? /Poelo[/b][/quote]Heh, I heard mofos like this in HS. Never bothered me one bit. One of 'em even said that death metal musicians are dumb by nature. That really pissed me off, but I didn't fight back. If that's the case, I'll meet this fella in the next New Jersey Metal Meltdown, and make sure he gets a nice can of whoop ass in the mosh pit, along with a hundred other skankers (preferably with Vader playing). :rolleyes: :mad: :bor:

[quote]Originally posted by tazzola: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Poelo: [b]Lee Flier wrote: that fake funk shit just made me want to hurl. ----------------------------- So what is the Stones to you? Fake blues shit? /Poelo[/b][/quote]Heh, I heard mofos like this in HS. Never bothered me one bit. One of 'em even said that death metal musicians are dumb by nature. That really pissed me off, but I didn't fight back. If that's the case, I'll meet this Poello fella in the next New Jersey Metal Meltdown, and make sure he gets a nice can of whoop ass in the mosh pit, along with a hundred other skankers (preferably with Vader playing). :rolleyes: :mad: :bor: [/b][/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by Gabriel E.: [b]their "funk" songs REALLY sucked the moose's cock. A perfect example of what happens when white stoners listen to James Brown and only hear the 9th chords.[/b][/quote]Thank you. That's the description I've been looking for for years. Yeah, I saw the SDs live as well, for free, at some Riverfest in Poughkeepsie NY. Chris what's his name spent most of the set doing some kind of improvisational upper register moaning. They were pretty weak. I thought the drummer was snappy and good on a bunch of their stuff.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Gabriel E.: [b] [quote] I hope those guys in Tower of Power and AWB don't hear you guys!!!!! [/quote]I don't have a problem with them - they did it well. The Spin Doctors did not.[/b][/quote]Yeah, exactly.[/b][/quote]Hey I ain't defending the Spin Doctors, just making a humorous, however sarcastic, remark about you guys saying "fake funk"! :) I just found it funny. I'll sit down and listen intently to the Spin Doctors WAY before doing the same to top 40 corporate rock. I've only seen them one time, and there are not my cup of tea per se, so I was only commenting about what I specifically heard and saw. That doesn't make it wrong. I've heard way worse, thats gotten more slack around here. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I thought the drummer was pretty good...he definitely stood out. The singer bugged me...someone told him he was AMAZING one night when they were stoned...it stuck with him I guess. Hey I don't want to knock them really...they entertained the hell out of kids for a while there...nothing wrong with that...at least the lyrics were really positive most of the time.

Ay least I said what mine was (albeit a very vicious one not towards the band in question, but towards a certain @$$h0l3...). As for the band, they were OK, but not enough came from them that hooked me. Very OT: anyone remember whatever happened to the Edie Brickell group? I heard her around the mid 1990s or so, any ideas? P.S. It's sooo dam nice to finally have my broadband back...now I can "frag" again :thu:

[quote]Originally posted by Gabriel E.: [b] A perfect example of what happens when white stoners listen to James Brown and only hear the 9th chords.[/b][/quote]LMAO!! :D - ahem....all joking aside (sort of), this thread has gone in a totally different direction than i originally intended. have you ever had the feeling that you are the only person you know of that likes a particular band? looks like the spin drs. really struck a sour note to the majority (me being the minority) of this community. oh well, i also like ABBA. i guess i'm weird that way. :wave:
0096 2251 2110 8105

[quote]Originally posted by tazzola: [b]Very OT: anyone remember whatever happened to the Edie Brickell group? I heard her around the mid 1990s or so, any ideas? [/b][/quote]Edie has been married to Paul Simon for a couple of years, the last I heard.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

My cousin works for a bigtime agency in NY (I never remember the name but it's the same company that came up with the John Lennon Songwriting Contest) and the Spin Docters were one of their groups. She was their personal manager for a while. They lost their record deal soon after their string of hits died down and never got another deal. I never really like them and always figured they were 2-3 hit wonders.

dino nailed it- every freakin' song pretty much was the same tune. The Stones figured out how to make 10 basic songs sound like 100, and did a remarkable job of it... Does anyone know how Frank Prestia of T.O.P. is doing? I heard he was having liver problems...?

"We are the Federales... You know, the Mounted Police..."

---"If you're the police, where are your badges?"

"Bodges?..."

The S.D. guys struck me as a bunch of buds who stuck together even tho the band would have been tons better if they found a good singer-sort of like Extreme. Too much forced sounding `this is really clever` attitude for me.

Archived