Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

do u get better with elec kits???

tachonene

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my mind you do get 'better' in that you expand your abilities into a whole new possibility of styles and sounds. You can use cool sound effects, huge 'rap' kick drums, tiny snares etc... Electronic music is moving more and more into the mainstream, and it could never hurt to be able to play electronic drums, which definitely take some getting used to at first. Its a different 'feel' but the overall body motions used are the same. I believe that practicing on an electronic kit can help you play an acoustic kit, similar to the way that playing on a practice pad can help your snare drum technique.

I say go for it!

jamoflage

I think as long as you do not limit yourself to electronic playing you will be fine! Electronics should be utilized in situations that call for them such as a need for a monitorless mix, or no volume practice situations. Or ... as an enhancement to your acoustic set-up ... like I have.

No worry though, utilizing electronics can never make you a "bad" drummer!

DJ

thank u guys!!!!!!yea i want the elec set to practice in my apartment only so i think it will be nice...im working really hard(carpentry)to get the money but the ezfort will be rewarded..it sems that the people in here are cool im gonna come back

cya

I'd like to point out a few observations that I've seen from drummers who have taken lessons from me; those that play on electronics.

The players who played on electronic drums EXCLUSIVELY tend to not have the best stick control. I've noticed that they had a very hard time playing on an acoustic kit and controling/balancing out the drumset. The seemed to "bash" the drums with little or no finesse. The cause, I believe, is from the ones that haven't taken the time to "tweak" the electronic kits to handle varied velocities. So, they end up just smacking all the pads ... really hard. It may sound great to them, and coming out the PA, but it sure didn't sound good on the acoustics.

Am I saying that anyone who plays on electronics exclusively will play or does play this way? Absolutely not. What I'm saying is that you need to spend the time to make the electronics respond as closely to a "real" instrument as possible. The way pads and controllers are being made these days, it's a lot easier to achieve this ... than let's say 10 years ago.

I've subbed for a few drummers over the years who had their electronic kits set so that it was virtually impossible to play a ghost stroke or just tap the cymbal. It was awful! Why did they need me when any monkey could sit up there a make the drums sound the say way.

If you've been playing drums for awhile and have developed good technique, I highly recommend that you get those electronics sounding and feeling like an acoustic kit as much as possible. You'll be very suprised how bad you will sound when you have to play an acoustic kit if you don't.

I'm all for someone using electronics only ... if you want or have to. Just be sure to go the extra mile and spend some time adjusting the kit to be as flexible as possible ... like REAL drums!

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

The players who played on electronic drums EXCLUSIVELY tend to not have the best

stick control. I've noticed that they had a very hard time playing on an acoustic kit and

controling/balancing out the drumset. The seemed to "bash" the drums with little or no

finesse. The cause, I believe, is from the ones that haven't taken the time to "tweak"

the electronic kits to handle varied velocities.

I agree that this is true for some people but I do want to repeat that it wasn't at all my own experience. Being an acoustic drummer first, electronic drums just allowed me to practice rudiments and drumset technique in a controlled environment until 4AM, getting on a real drum kit after all of that practice was like going to heaven and the sensitivity just came back like the wind.

I'd definatley like to buy one sometime down the road, the ones I play on at our local Woodwind & Brasswind, they have songs you can play along with. A ton of different styles. Ska, funk, country, rock, jazz, odd timed stuff, etc.... A ton of styles. Not necissarily ones I like, but ones that it wouldn't hurt to learn. They already have drum parts recorded, so you can listen to the style, and then play along with it. It's really great, I sit there on the electronic kits for a long time, they are very addictive. It's got a good 50 songs on there, it's great. The only problem is the price tag. Which may not be a problem for alot of people, but me being 15 makes it a problem. I will get one though eventually, those things can be GREAT for silent practicing or just practicing or playing.

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

Archived