Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kenny Aronoff Interview

djarrett

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got his two video tapes of power work outs when they came out and I must say that they were VERY GOOD for my technique.

I have loved Kenny for a long time...I really look up to him. He is sooo cool. What an attitude he projects in his playing.

Definitely not a "crap shoot".

Kenny is definately the man!I mean anyone who can play well with the diverse artists that he does is truly talented.People in my community call it whoring yourself out though.And I can't say that I dont totally agree.I guess the legacy we leave behind us denotes who and what we were.Something is to be said about someone who is true to a particular style of the art,and then there are gold diggers.Hope I lit a fire under somebody!Debate feeds the spirit!

ian*

ian*

Ian again,

One more thought.Take Mike Portnouy for instance.Even though the band hasn't shared the notariety that he has personally he is still loyal to his band and his art.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ian*

Oh, ian*;

Flames a flyin! Toasty!

I disagree. A man has to make a living. In Nashville it is easier to understand. Most of the guys here that play with the really big acts are still paid per gig. Usually around $300-500 per show (not a lot considering the take at a big venue) If the band is not touring ... the drummer goes hungry! Onlt the really, really big acts Faith, McGraw, Brooks & Dunn actually put the musicians on retainer (kinda like a salary). Some of the more well know bands of this same caliber still keep the band members on per show pay. It really sucks, but no one asked me. Also, even if you are like Trey Grey and are lucky enough to play for Faith, you do not get to track when a recording is made. If you are not a part of the "A" list in Nashville, ... you do not play on an album. You are likely to be hearing Paul Liem or Eddie Bayers playing on a Faith album. Trey only plays live.

Yet I digressed!

The point. Kenny probably needs the money. Also, there is something to say about spicing your playing life up. Stick with one genre of music too long, and you are likely to get stale or burn out.

I think Kenny is right on!

DJ

I had to double check with Allmusic.com...that's Kenny playing drums on Melissa Etheridge's tune "Your Little Secret?"

Man, what a track...the drums on that tune just plain kick ass...if you haven't heard this song get it from Napster, Gnutella, BUY THE CD or something and prepare to be schooled...KENNY ROCKS!

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 06-20-2001 at 12:32 PM

I don't know if you heard any of Kenny's work with John Fogherty, But he really added some life to those old worn out tunes!DJ What you said about nashville drummers is really sad.What about bands like http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifiomand Rio,Lonestar etc...How are their drummers treated?

Drummers are the hardest workers in the band,it just sucks that vocalists have all the starpower.Don't these famous artists know that they would be nothing without the band.Let's face it Faith Hill is a talented performer but she has great musicians backing her.Why should she make millions and the band table scraps?Where's the justice? Is the Rock industry the same?

------------------

ian*

Originally posted by ian*:

Drummers are the hardest workers in the band,it just sucks that vocalists have all the starpower.

Not in any band I'm in, they don't! Isn't it interesting how the bands that are run by someone OTHER than the vocalist, e.g. Led Zeppelin and the Who, are the ones where the drummers are most able to shine and most appreciated?

Being the guitar player and usually the one who gets bands together, I find a great drummer first and when we add a vocalist they are damn well going to know that a great band is nothing without the drummer's contribution. It doesn't matter how great everybody else is, if the drummer sucks everybody sucks, and if the drummer's great everybody else looks like a star. And any musician, not just a vocalist, who doesn't know that is an idiot.

The problem is being able to withstand pressure from record labels, management, and sometimes the public. At some point in a band's career if they are good, somebody in the industry is probably going to try to convince somebody (usually the vocalist) that "you're the real star of this band" and everyone else is incidental. The "star" may forget at that point who brung them to the dance. I've known two really good bands here in Atlanta where that has happened just in the past 6 months where the label says "You're the star!" and the vocalist says "Later" to the band, "I don't need you guys!" And now neither the band nor the vocalist is doing anything. It happens all the time.

Too bad so many people are so susceptible to flattery, ain't it?

--Lee

I have always admired Kenny. The way his soul comes through the playing is just fantastic.

Does anybody know why/when Kenny started to play with his two front rack toms reversed? Does anybody else do this? Seems like a good idea, but I haven't tried it yet.

Drumtrav

This message has been edited by drumtrav on 06-21-2001 at 03:55 PM

Drumtrav

Archived