Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Worst drum fad of the last 30 years...

Tedster

I figure Lee will nominate the Phil Collins gated snare...but me...I'd nominate those disgusting synth toms that disco popularized in the late seventies...and all drummers (even country) were using shortly after. Thank God the fad ended soon...I can still hear that obnoxious sound...

Anyone else???

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hold on to your barf buckets ...

synth tom sounds are making a comeback!

With the return of bell bottoms, Afros, platform shoes, rhinestone jeans, Farrah hair, and ass-huggin' pants ... We now have Target and Jack In The Box Hamburger chain commercials running that feature those infamous SDS1 Simmons tom and Pollard Synth Drum sounds!

Enough to make you want to brush the dust off your Saturday Night Fever album.

So much for the originality of our society!

DJ

Electronics are cool. Everyone should trade in their acoustic kit for a Roland (or other make) electronic drum kit. At least we'd be able to turn that down when necessary. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Here's my hit list -

- Monster kits: You know what I'm talking about. Double bass, five or more toms, Rototoms, bell tree, etc. If you can't see the drummer, he has too many drums. Well, on second thought, maybe that's not so bad after all...

- Drum machine abuse, part I: Dialing up one pattern and leaving it on for the entire song. See 'Philadelphia' by Springsteen.

- Drum machine abuse, part II: Rhythms programmed by people who have no concept of dynamics, groove, or appropriate fills.

- Loops: If you can't learn how to program a simple backbeat, you have no business making a record.

- Timbale players who shake the booty on stage: Enough said.

- Night of the roving loudspeaker: Let me wish a special screw-U to all of you misguided lads who drive around all night blasting that TR-808 bass drum as loud as you can, hoping against hope that some pathetic, gullible moron is going to come to the mistaken conclusion that you are actually cool. I've got new for you; no one is that stupid. I'm going to laugh my MFA off when you numbnuts go stone deaf at age 43.

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Electronics are cool. Everyone should trade in their acoustic kit for a Roland (or other make) electronic drum kit. At least we'd be able to turn that down when necessary. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

.... unless you're one of us who never feels it is necessary. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

- Monster kits: You know what I'm talking about. Double bass, five or more toms, Rototoms, bell tree, etc. If you can't see the drummer, he has too many drums.

I agree! Or, as one of my favorite drummers likes to say, all the best drummers have four skins... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Well, on second thought, maybe that's not so bad after all...

Totally disagree here! We need to see the drummer, cuz drummers are sexy!

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif And besides, you still need to see the drummer so you can get the visual cues happening. I don't like it when a drummer is hiding behind the drums and turning his head away and not paying any attention to what everyone else is doing. Of course, lots of other band members insist on ignoring the drummer and not looking at him, so it's hard to say who started what!

--Lee

Dan said...

>>>- Monster kits: You know what I'm talking about. Double bass, five or more toms, Rototoms, bell tree, etc. If you can't see the drummer, he has too many drums. Well, on second thought, maybe that's not so bad after all...

Amen...what's absolutely hilarious is that I've seen guys use this kind of "Neil Peart meets Carl Palmer" setup in POLKA bands. That's really funny.

Dude! Run a clarinet, trumpet, and accordian through maxed out Marshalls...or better yet, have the clarinet and trumpet playing through those Shure green bullet mics the harp players use...

Well, why not? Just about everything else has been done...

(SEPULTURA OR PANTERA STYLE VOICE): "IN HEAVEN THERE IS NO BEER...THAT'S WHY WE DRINK IT HERE"

(Uneasy laugh...) I'm getting scared now...

Originally posted by Tedster:

Dude! Run a clarinet, trumpet, and accordian through maxed out Marshalls...or better yet, have the clarinet and trumpet playing through those Shure green bullet mics the harp players use...

B]

I play in a heavy metal band that's really goofy, I've actually considered doing something like that. Ever heard a distorted trumpet or trombone?

And what I think would be cool as hell is pitch-shifting up an octave on a trumpet player. I did that once before... and if you know trumpet players, you know that we like to play high; the higher and louder a trumpet player can play, the bigger the ego. It would be so cool to be playing a simple high c, and having what we call a "super c" (an octave above that) coming out of the PA. Ahhhhh..... bleeding eardrums....

Monster kits: You know what I'm talking about. Double bass, five or more toms, Rototoms, bell tree, etc. If you can't see the drummer, he has too many drums. Well, on second thought, maybe that's not so bad after all...

WHAT?! You're kidding right? You actually posted this on a Drum forum? How is a drummer supposed to have a masterful performance like the one Simon Phillips gave on the Tommy show without enough tools?

Let's limit the keyboard players to 3 patches, Bass players can only play Fretted 4 string basses, c'mon Dan.

My feeling is a drummer can't have enough stuff to hit...if you can afford the pieces and have enough time to set it up there are never too many drums.

One other caveat about the big kit is that you're not hogging someone else's space. It seems lately we've been playing places where the guy who designed the stage thought he was designing podiums for auctioneers. I use a pretty small rig...we all do, and we're all still crowded...

And I like the idea of the pitch shifted trumpet...

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Totally disagree here! We need to see the drummer, cuz drummers are sexy!

Lee, YOU don't need to see the drummer, because your mind is already made up. A band could have Keanu Reeves on bass, Brad Pitt on guitar, and Fabio on lead vocals, and you're be craning your neck for a glimpse of the unshaven, balding, pot-bellied, eighty-two-year-old rehab case behind the drum kit. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just kidding. I admire a woman who knows what she likes! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Big drum kits are great for certain styles, but they're totally inappropriate for others. Yes, I've seen guys play polkas on monster kits - at WEDDINGS. I'm sorry, but to me, this is like having the gutarist bring three Marshall stacks to a small jazz club. "Overgearing" is as inappropriate as overplaying (or wearing too much cologne).

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to see a Rush show with a minimalist drum kit. Watching Neal thrash a stack of lumber is half the fun!

Ok, leave it to felix-

This week I have a rough mix of one of our compositions called "March of the Zombies" where I incorporate my rolands and sonors. We were mixing down this weekend and I found I was pitch bending the snare with my left stick, making a crash sound like it had chorus on it by one of my "secret" techniques incorporated into the groove, played a bunch of displaced 5's here and there while incorporating drill sounds, groans, voices and screwed up triangles and bell trees that I goofed with. The drum effects need to be mixed a little better as well but you folks will get the idea. I will let you ALL know when it is posted for your FREE ejoyment. Then you can all give me YOUR opinions!

-love

felix

Dansouth said...

>>>a glimpse of the unshaven, balding, pot-bellied, eighty-two-year-old rehab case behind the drum kit

I beg to differ, Dan...I'm a *guitar* player, not a drummer...that describes me too well...although I guess I'm not balding. Not quite 82 either...

Yes, I basically think I have settled everyones arguments here. Small 5 piece with todays electronics-old meets new with recurring themes based on traditional drum techniques to make a theme come to sonic reality. I have to say I'm mildly impressed with the results since I am my own hardest critic. It's a sickening, haunting, beautiful, simple yet complicated arrangement. I'll try to get up up this afternoon. Now here's the ever famous disclaimer *It's a rough mix*...but I'm happy with it enough to share.

Archived