Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trying to find an old jazz drummer friend.

Harvey Gerst

I didn't think to ask here about an old jazz drummer friend I'm trying to track down. He wasn't too well known, except by other drummers in the 50s and 60s. His name is Freddie Gruber, but he might be calling himself Freddy Gruber these days. Great drummer, but we lost track of each other years ago. He's got to be around late 60 to 70 years old by now. Anybody heard of him or know how to contact him? Thanks for any help.

------------------

Harvey Gerst

Indian Trail Recording Studio

ITRstudio.com

Harvey Gerst

ITRstudio.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Harvey:

Welcome to Drum Talk!

FREDDIE GRUBER! ... THE FREDDIE GRUBER?

Freddie is quite famous in the drum world especially those of us in the industry.

If you check out my review at MusicPlayer.com of the latest Dave Weckl video, you will see that Dave just spent two years in private lessons with Freddie. He is old as dirt, but still just as crazy and zany as always. (LOL)

He even makes a guest appearance on the video.

I would imagine I can obtain his contact info.

Give me a few days. You may try contacting him through Drum Workshop (www.drumworkshop.com) through the "contact us" button. Freddie is a DW endorser.

Thanks,

DJ (Dendy)

I guess there's only one Freddie Gruber, so yeah, I think it's the same guy. Freddie was a great jazz drummer in the late 50s and early 60s but wasn't too well known to the public. He was friends with Louie Bellson, and Buddy Rich, and a ton of well known drummers, but Freddie never got to that point with the general public. I used to drive him to the Saturday night jam session at Georgia's club in El Monte every week, where Charlie Haden was the house bass player, and people like Ornette Coleman and others would drop in to jam. Haven't seen him in probably 40 years and I started wondering what he's been doing (or if he was even still alive).

Nice to see he's finally gotten some recognition. He deserved it.

Harvey Gerst

ITRstudio.com

Archived