Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drummergirl

Hi,

I am a new member and just wanted to introduce myself. I am a drummer of a new local band that just started out. We are a four person band and I am the only female. We started in December. Everything is going well so far. The guitarist knows a lot about music and has been playing for 9 years. The bass guitarist just started out but is doing pretty well himself. However, our singer doesn't not understand the first thing about music and the importance of his voice and of timing. Especially timing. I try to explain it to him but he doesn't get it. He doesn't know when to come in on a song. And if he makes a mistake he will stop and them continue where he left off even though the rest of the band is may 4 measures ahead of him. Well, I understand timing is my responsibility and I do not know how to explain to him these very important things. Can anyone help me. Thanks

Drummergirl

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this problem with some singers I was Paid to produce in the studio before...you can hope but I'm sorry to say he probably won't improve very soon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif.

If he trusts you and believes you when you tell him he's been coming in at the wrong places then there may be a solution.

Try writing a simple drum cue type of fill that you can familiarize him with, teach him to play it even...practice starting 4 bars before the verse of a song you all know well, do it a few time until he really feels where to come in.

If the singer has a decent memory you can write different fills for different songs or movements, if he's a 'space cadet' http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif you might want to use the same fill for every cue.

And if he makes a mistake he will stop and them continue where he left off even though the rest of the band is may 4 measures ahead of him

this is a bit more tricky...you know what...next time this happens just stop and count out loud 1, 2, 3, 4...with attitude...and start the next section of the tune. If your band is a Punk type group it could become part of your sound http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif.

I don't know what else to tell you other than if the singer isn't willing to work on and make major improvements in this area...well...maybe he's not the right singer.

Good luck and don't take me too seriously.

Oh and WELCOME!

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 05-15-2001 at 06:53 PM

Hey DrummerGirl!!

Welcome to Drum Talk. Looks like you got logged on! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

As far as the singer is concerned, ... I am never one to not give someone a fighting chance to improve. Sometimes these problems are due to a misconception of the music and he may even think that he is correct!! I am afraid however, that my experience has been that the band is ONLY as good as the weakest link (and no ... I do not mean to pun that annoying TV program!) If this guy does not possess the natural talent to be able to sing with the correct timing, it means you will probably be dragging him through intense learning curves with each song. The band needs to collectively decide if this is worth the sacrifice!! If you all *love* this guy's singing and consider him a "team" member ... perhaps you will be forced to make the commitment to be patient with each struggle for timing!

At any rate, either way, you need to be sensitive to this guys feelings and ego. I prefer to be gentle with folks, because what goes around ... comes around!

Hope this helps you in your decision process.

Thanks,

Dendy (DJ)

Glad to have you aboard DG...there are some knowledgable cats on this board....

uh, my advice is- see if the singer tries to understand and study some music fundamentals. I have worked with great rock singers that couldn't read a stick of music and sang their butts off, but they had limits.

If the singer isn't a close friend-keep auditioning.

JOKE:

How many singers does it take to change a light bulb?

ONE and the world revolves around them.

Originally posted by Drummergirl:

However, our singer doesn't not understand the first thing about music and the importance of his voice and of timing.

What is this guy doing in your band (other than holding you back ?)

If he can't function at this most basic level, he gots to go!

Well, I understand timing is my responsibility and I do not know how to explain to him these very important things.

This is everyone's job ! Can't the "9 years exp." guitarist say anything ?

What's he doing while this is going on ?

------------------

Here is a little more details about my band.

The 9 year guitarist is my husband and he is trying to help out as much as I am. The singer is his brother. That is not the only reason he is our singer. He has a great stage presence and he has the personality to get peoples attention. That is the main reason we want him to be our lead singer. Granted, he has made improvements in his singing and timing. The band is trying to convince him to take singing lessons just to learn these basic skills. He could be great. We are also trying to convince our basist to take lessons too. He just started playing bass guitar about 3 weeks ago and is relying alot on our guitarist to teach him. The problem is he doesn't know how to teach. So it's been working like kenny (our guistarist) will explain it to me (I'm a pretty good teacher) and I will teach him. It's a project in itself. Well, anyway sorry for dragging on. Another problem I'm having that is more related to the band rather than drums is this. The band wants me to be like the leader/manager when we are ready to perform. I have no problem with this however I do not know even where to begin with getting us into some local clubs. Is there anyone out there that is in a band and can help me out? Thanks alot.

Drummergirl

• 2 weeks later...

Heya Drummergirl... I'm in a band, and have been in a "semi-pro" band for about six years. I've got a little bit of knowledge stored up in my noggin, and I have all sorts of contacts in the biz, so if you need to know anything, or want some advice, by all means email me at jayabusa@yahoo.com, and I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Jay

------------------

NYATT!!!!

NYATT!!!!

The singer and the bassist should find competent teachers and take lessons IMMEDIATELY. The longer they wait, the more bad habits they'll pick up. Why not learn it right the first time? If they start now, you won't even RECOGNIZE this band in three or four months.

Archived