Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Drummer in Concert that you've ever seen!

djarrett

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about shows?

One of the best drumming spectacles I ever saw was Dave Matthews Band opening up for Phish in, what, like 1994?

DMB was unknown then, I certainly didn't know them. Here's this band, opening up with this epic, slow-building song in 3/4 time ("Seek Up") and I was hooked. Carter Beauford knocked me out! Then phish came on and Jon Fishman is just phenominal. Knows when to create space, when to go nuts, and when to just get wacky. He's always incredible and one of my biggest influences.

One of the worst shows I saw was, sadly, DMB at Pac Bell Park in SF. Couldn't see a thing, and the drumming sucked. Sorry Carter. The sound was horrible too and I couldn't see anything from a MILE AWAY. The last time I'll ever see that band.

Anyway....

This message has been edited by sidereal on 06-27-2001 at 06:28 PM

Just for the record.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by djarrett:

Who is the best drummer that you have ever been to see in a live concert. Why, when, and where?

DJ

For me this was Simon Phillips playing the gig with Toto in Tallinn, Estonia (I think it was back in February '99). He was absolutely incredible during the whole show! And the drum solo he played that night... man, THIS WAS THE BEST DRUM SOLO I ever heard in a concert (and not only in a concert!).

Too bad, the singer (Bobby Kimball?) had some problems with his voice (just couldn't sing high notes at all...). Oh, and Steve (Lukather) did some (how they say this in English?...) okay, a mistake or two while playing his guitar. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/redface.gif

Anyway, mind you, Simon's impeccable performance was the main attraction of the event and (dare I say?) he really saved the show (well, at least for me http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif)!

Vladislav

PS. By the way, I'm not a drummer. Just a former bass player. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by Gulliver on 07-27-2001 at 10:15 AM

I am back.

Hey, Vladislav:

From where are you posting? Are you in the US?

If not, how did you find the site? I ask as part of some research I am doing on MusicPlayer.com's traffic.

Thanks for posting!

DJ

Originally posted by djarrett:

Hey, Vladislav:

From where are you posting? Are you in the US?

If not, how did you find the site? I ask as part of some research I am doing on MusicPlayer.com's traffic.

Thanks for posting!

DJ

Well, I live in Tallinn. It's the capitol of Estonia (a small country

by the Baltic Sea, Europe). I believe... I learned about the site from Keyboard Magazine!

Vladislav

PS. Despite being non-drummer I always thought (and think!) that drums ARE the most important instruments in any music style!!! (even if there are no drums at all...) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I am back.

Bill Bruford and Pat Mastelotto with King Crimson. Had no idea that Pat could play the way he did, especially coming from Mr. Mister. I had also never heard double drummers actually compliment instead of copy each other. I had trouble deciding where to look during the show!

Neil Peart- any time that I've seen him has been amazing.

Frank Briggs with 805 in the 80's. I saw him a number of times in the Western New York area and I was blown away.

I saw Carter Beauford live about a year ago at Deer Creek, amazing. I've seen other drummers that were good, but none of them as good as Carter. The drummer for Trey Anastasio's solo band is pretty good (Saw them Sunday at Deer Creek, they had John Medeski playing clavs and organ, slapping those clavs like they were bongos!), the drummer was doing some really nice cowbell work on some of those songs, I had to double check alot of times to make sure that there wasn't a percussionist, but he was left handedly riding on the cowbell pretty fast, I thought he was using two hands until I looked closer. But Carter still holds the title for sure and the best I've seen live.

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

Saw Tony Williams - early '90's - at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis ... I was standing to his left, and able to see it all. It was like a fireworks display - it just got better and better.

------------------

It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much.

Well, about everyone who knows me knows that I'm one of Neil's biggest fans. He never ceases to amaze me not only with his drumming skills, but with his personality and humility as well. Man, it don't get better than that. LOL.

As far as techniques go, when I was a kid I had the pleasure of watching Buddy mesmerize drummers at a clinic for about a solid hour. Though seated behind a kit, he astounded us by pulling the snare drum back away from the kit and proceeding to use nothing other than that snare.

As far as fun to watch, and audience interaction, I'd say circa 1987 or so, Steve Smith when he was with Journey. I've yet to see a drummer get the audience as involved to the extent and intensity Steve did. About halfway through his solo, he's jumping up on the kit, one foot on the throne the other on the floor tom, shouting at the audience. And the audience responded in kind. Back to the solo, and with about every 'thwack' on the drums, the audience is screaming at him, and Steve back there screaming back! LOL. A lifetime memory for me. And I think, for a lot of people in the audience that evening.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

Originally posted by Gaddabout:

Saw Jason Marsalis not too long ago. What a wonderful breath of fresh air.

I've been listening to Los Hombres Calientes - like you say, a "breath of fresh air" ... shame that they don't get much (if any) airplay around here. Which brings back a memory of seeing Bill Summers w/Herbie Hancock years ago. Best percussion solo I've seen yet.

------------------

It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much.

This message has been edited by samba on 07-27-2001 at 07:00 AM

Yeah man, Los Hombres Calientes put on a great show. Love Irvin Mayfield! The whole New Orleans scene is starting to take off nationally (once again). Anyone seen Stanton Moore with Galactic? Fun stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen the great Vinnie a couple of times. But the one that stands out the most was on his birthday in 2000 or '99 at the Baked Potato in North Hollywood. He was with Mike Landau, Abe Laboriel, and Greg Matheison. It was simply beautiful. Vinnie is amazing!

Originally posted by mojosaur:

John Vidacovich, Herman Ernest, Willie Green, Russell Batiste, Ray Weber, Zigaboo Modeliste-- all from New Orleans.....New Orleans has the best drummers.

I'll second that! Our drummer is from New Orleans! He says the reasons there are so many great drummers from there are 1) most drummers there are steeped in the traditional jazz and African influences, and 2) EVERY kid wants to drum in the marching band at school cuz they get to march in the Mardi Gras parades and it's a big hairy deal. So they all get chops and feel for days. I always knew that the best drummers were from New Orleans and I had the jazz and African thing figured out, but wasn't aware about the marching band thing until he told me about it. Makes sense though.

I'd have pictured our drummer being the killer snare guy, but he says, "I didn't wanna play snare. I wanted to play the tim-toms 'cause they get to be in the front!" LOL....

Another incredible but lesser known drummer down there is named Carlo Nuccio. I saw him in L.A. a lot when I lived there but he is now back in N.O. If you get a chance to see him, do it!

--Lee

Originally posted by Gulliver:

Well, I live in Tallinn. It's the capitol of Estonia (a small country

by the Baltic Sea, Europe). I believe... I learned about the site from Keyboard Magazine!

Vladislav

PS. Despite being non-drummer I always thought (and think!) that drums ARE the most important instruments in any music style!!! (even if there are no drums at all...) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Hey, Vladislav:

That is tremendous! God, I love this technology. I actually had to go online to learn about your town.

This is tremendous that we can communicate with folks who live around the world!

Thanks for hangin' with us drummers!

Always welcome.

DJ

• 3 months later...

Ancient History: another vote for Jethro Tull, but this time it's Clive Bunker in 1967.

Old History: Carl Palmer with ELP sometime around 1977

Recent History: in the Gene Krupa make-a-lot-of-sound tradition, Bobby Rock with Neil Zaza and Bill Dickens, maybe three years ago

There is a double CD of that tour called "Snap, Crackle, and Pop" and I bought mine direct from Mr. Rock's website at:

http://www.bobbyrock.com/merch.html

(The show was at our high school, out here in the sticks of small-town Vermont, and not only did they put on a great set, but they talked with the audience, answered questions, and then came out and hung around in the lobby afterward. My son (who also plays bass and drums like I do) was a junior in high school at the time, and we were both blown away not only by the chops these guys have but also how they seemed to be truly nice human beings.)

For me it's a tie, really.

Simon Phillips and Doane Perry.

Doane is perhaps one of the most underrated and underappreciated drummers I know of. Saw him with Tull in September in Oslo. Awesome.

Honorable mentions would go to Nick Menza and Vinnie Paul.

I grew out of the "metal thing" a few years back.

Would have absolutely loved to see Barriemore Barlow live. Still one of my absolute favourite drummers. Can you tell I'm a Tullian? :D

There's so many ... the first time I saw Billy Cobham with Mahavishnu in '73, I wanted to sell my drums and take up needlepoint. Narada Michael Walden wasn't too shabby of a replacement either ... Airto was here last month ...

But the best by far and away was Tony Williams, c. '91 ... I was standing to his left and could see everything he was doing. Unf'ing real ...

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: samba ]

Originally posted by k1neta:

Doane is perhaps one of the most underrated and underappreciated drummers I know of. Saw him with Tull in September in Oslo. Awesome.

I saw Doane a while back with Tull. Hilarious actually... he came out on stage at one point, backlit so you couldn't really see that it was him. He was standing on one leg playing the flute! The crowd was going wild thinking it was Ian... then the lights come up and Ian's standing there on the other side of the stage and says "Oh, come on, you didn't think that crap was ME playing did you?" funny moment.

Just for the record.

Archived