Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Drummer in Concert that you've ever seen!

djarrett

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh DJ - that's a tough one! I'd probably have to say Stan Lynch, pretty much every time I saw him - which was a lot! Why? I've never seen anybody so perfectly attentive to what was going on around him, to serving the song and really DRIVING the band onward with such great energy. Yet he could lay back great too. I've also never seen anybody in such great command of dynamics. He could take even a song that was kinda boring and make it great by changing up the dynamics constantly and adding subtle variations to the feel. And every time you thought he was at full force and couldn't rock any harder, he ALWAYS had that "extra gear" to kick into at the climax of a song or gig. I never got sick of watching the guy.

Another huge standout performance in drumming for me was seeing Stewart Copeland when he did his "Rythmatist" tour with a dozen drummers from New Guinea. I think it was in '94, and I saw them at the Fox Theatre here in Atlanta. A jaw dropper. For sheer groove, power and inventiveness you couldn't beat it (no pun intended).

I'm happy to say there's another drummer I go see all the time now that I have to add to my all time faves list. His name is JD "Spyder" Davis and he plays in a local Atlanta band called the Lizardmen. This is another guy I could never get tired of seeing - he's just so much FUN to hear, I dare anybody who doesn't play drums to go see him and not want to play drums. Great feel, great energy, gets everybody dancing and sings mean harmonies too. Picture somebody with a Ringo/Charlie Watts kind of feel but who can also suddenly erupt into a full on Keith Moon kind of intense nutty fill and never lose the groove. I love it! He's playing on Saturday and I'm recording it - can't wait! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

--Lee

Well better than seeing in concert I got to play with Louie Bellson and was totally blown away (Being the Piano player in a Big Band, I was set up right next to his kit).

As far as concert experiences:

Tie between 2...

Dave Weckl with Chick Corea Electric Band at the Hollywood Bowl (1988?).

Vinnie Coliauta with Alan Holdsworth at Berklee College in 1986.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Another huge standout performance in drumming for me was seeing Stewart Copeland when he did his "Rythmatist" tour with a dozen drummers from New Guinea. I think it was in '94, and I saw them at the Fox Theatre here in Atlanta. A jaw dropper. For sheer groove, power and inventiveness you couldn't beat it (no pun intended).

Lee, I was at that very same concert (The Rhythmatists with Stewart Copeland) in Atlanta! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I used to live in Chattanooga at the time. I was completely bored by Stewart Copeland's solo, but loved the rest of the show. I thought he surrounded himself with other great players to make him look and sound good! LOL

I don't think I could pick one or even a few "great drummers" that I've seen in concert. What does the word "great" mean? For me, a great drummer makes the music feel good; it's not just chops or solo ability. The late Art Blakey couldn't play a roll worth a crap ... but man could that guy SWING!!!

I think I would do better to list bad drummers in concert; the list would be much shorter.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

John Blackwell, the current drummer for Prince.

He's flashy in a subtle kind of way. I guess you could say he's a passive agressive player.

He'll keep perfect time and tastefully throw in syncopations that go great with what's being played.

He'll get quirky and throw his arms back and fourth like he's running and twirl his drumsticks and not loose a fraction.

An awesome player and showman. He's an incredible drummer to watch.

Originally posted by rebonn:

John Blackwell, the current drummer for Prince.

He's flashy in a subtle kind of way. I guess you could say he's a passive agressive player.

He'll keep perfect time and tastefully throw in syncopations that go great with what's being played.

He'll get quirky and throw his arms back and fourth like he's running and twirl his drumsticks and not loose a fraction.

An awesome player and showman. He's an incredible drummer to watch.

Hey, Rebonn

John Blackwell is from my old stomping grounds of Columbia, South Carolina. I saw him on Jay Leno the other night! WOW! Subtly Flashy are the right words! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

He was able to groove and during the solo, he was twirling and grooving without a hitch!

Liked him a lot!

DJ

The best drummer I've seen in concert would be Dennis Chambers with John Scofield back in 1988. It was a real turning point to see and hear how far you can actually take playing the drums while still being musical. At that time I had only heard Dennis on recordings, but seeing him live was mind blowing. Paired with Gary Grainger on bass, that gig just smoked from beginning to end, I still wish Scofield would put that lineup back together and tour again.

For me it would have to be Barriemore Barlow with Jethro Tull in Montreal 1979. Rock solid drumming but not afraid to embellish. One of my favourite drummers of all time.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

For me it would have to be Barriemore Barlow with Jethro Tull in Montreal 1979. Rock solid drumming but not afraid to embellish. One of my favourite drummers of all time.

Indeed, he's one of my favorites as well...every Tull album he was on has incredible drumming...but...

Clive Bunker was the most innovative drummer to come from the Jethro Tull school...you won't hear it on the albums but I have a bootleg live show filmed right before Aqualung was finished where Clive does a 15 minute drum solo...I'll just say I was completely blown away...I had no idea until seeing this tape just how good he was.

To see this hunch backed guy get around the kit doing stuff no one was even attempting at that time with a very unique technique...all I can say is WOW!

Clive Bunker simply rules!

In the late 70's I saw Buddy Rich at the Exit Inn in Nashburg. We got there late and got seats all the way on the right side facing the stage. I thought they (the seats) were lousy until the band started and we could see Buddy's profile sorta behind the kit and see exactly what his hi-hat hand was doing. OhmyGod, incredible show. At one point, all the brass guys put down their horns and picked up percussion instruments and wow... the bottom lip kept going farther and farther out... Exit Inn is tiny so just being so close to such a great performer was too cool.

A few bands where I wasn't expecting it but the drummer stole the show were early Tom Petty, Pat Benatar and The Romantics. Also saw Terry Williams with Rockpile and he was great!

I'll second or third Barriemore Barlow and add Alan White too. Always consistantly good.

Another guy who knocked my socks off was Mick Fleetwood in the late 70's. He must have had a 26" kick drum cos he looked small behind the kit.

Also saw Bonham with Led Zep in LA which was cool.

Lenny White http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif w/ Return to Forever (U of Fla./c.1974).

Richie Hayward(& Sam Clayton) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif w/ Little Feat (several times).

Dennis Chambers http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif (& his "break fill in",who was actually one of the bassists---those PFunk guys did a lot of tag team stuff)w/ParliamentFunkadelic(Armadillo,AustinTX & later San Antonio).

------------------

Terry Bozzio in Missing Persons, circa 1981/82. I'll never forget watching him play U.S. Drag.

Honorable mention:

(1) Manu Katche with Peter Gabriel

(2) Peter Erskine with Weather Report

(3) Neal Peart

(4) Peter Erskine (again) with Maynard Ferguson

I saw Zappa once (also early 80's), but I don't recall the who was drumming. The Tubes have a great rhythm section. I've never seen a drummer and bassist mesh together like those two guys.

I don't know if that's the topic here, but a week ago I worked on a tracking session with Virgil Donati playing over tracks pre-recorded by Denis Chambers... what you think about this?!

Actually you're not gonna be able to listen to the recording as I did, because it'll be released with Cha,bers playing normally but Virgil will be playing twice the normal speed... weird... but, funny...

And by the way, a couple days later I saw Virgil with Planet X and he kicks a**!

Later!

------------------

There's nothing to know...I don't like him or the sound he gets.... I did not care for him on the new steely dan stuff...at least what I heard. It's like you like that painting and I don't...no big deal. I also thought Billy Cobham put on a better clinic than Dennis did as well as Terry Bozio. Virgil D. is alot sicker if you ask me and it looks as if he is a more "finished" drummer. I do like Dennis Chambers more than Carter Bueford though. And most importantly Dennis seems to be a nice man.

I still think seeing Tommy Aldridge live is a religious experience. His stage presence was amazing, his sound inimitable...his road chops will steam roll every funkified backwards ostinato playing tech head out there.

He influenced more drummers than one would think IMHO. Just have to see him live, mic'd up and under some lights.

I've seen him a few times as well. My buddy toured with Motley Crue (ran/set up dimmers or something) and said Randy needed a click piped in on a song or two (you will find that I am the eternal critic).

I like it when he puts his foot on the FT and stretches and bangs awaY. He also has some of the nicest tattoos in the music biz.

I liked his drum/cymbal sound on Ultimate Sin. I liked it very much. Darkly indescribable...transparent but huge!

Randy Castillo saw him play for OZZY several times live Very consistent and never boring

Yeah Randy's great...another drummer in that vein that I'm constantly amazed by is Vinnie Paul from Pantera. "Cowboys From Hell" has some of the best metal drumming I've ever heard.

He is so solid and creative with double bass...I saw Pantera open for Sabbath about 2 years ago...unfortunately the sound was horrible but Vinnie's rock solid groove shined through.

My favorite all around Metal drummer is Dean Castranova - mostly because I just enjoy listening to drummers who display a lot of chops. Dean's work on the "Cacophony" albums is fantastic.

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 05-24-2001 at 02:04 PM

How 'bout somebody y'all have probably never heard of......... David Carr. He's the drummer for Third Day.... probably one of the best Christian bands out there today. Anyway, I just saw them in concert about a week ago...... mostly they play southern rock in most of their songs. He's not the flashiest drummer, but he definitely is very good at giving them that southern feel. He also incorporates his toms into his rhythms a lot (very cool!!). Ok, my $.02.. take it or leave it.

------------------

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son; that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This message has been edited by KeyboardFreak on 05-24-2001 at 03:09 PM

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by felix stein:

and said Randy needed a click piped in on a song or two (you will find that I am the eternal critic).

I think you might find that was to lock into some sequencer. I don't think that's a bad thing - Neil did the same... (knowing that you are a Neil fan)

This message has been edited by Cymbals on 06-06-2001 at 02:45 PM

IF you listen to the NO REST FOR THE WICKED cd you can hear some of his style that incorporates the simplicity that is needed in alot of music ie STAY OUT OF THE WAY

Have to agree with the prior posts re: Neil Peart and Richie Hayward. Neil is simply "the professor," that shows us all how it's done. Richie was one of those guys that apparently never had to practice: just sat down at the start of the gig and started burning! Anybody besides me jealous?

Saw Aldridge by surprise last summer when the Nuge was backing up KISS. He pretty much stuck to basics, but I couldn't help wondering if he'd ever rehearsed the Nuge's repertoire, or if he just naturally knew where stuff should go.

The most pleasant surprise I've heard in a live gig was by William Kennedy, who was playing for the Yellowjackets (GRP's funky fusion outfit). They were the headliners at University of Hawaii, but Stanley Jordan (the special guest) played so looooong that he only left 25 minutes for Yellowjackets. While short, this left plenty of time for William to amaze me with his quick and nimble ride cymbal triplet swing.

Rock is not dead, it just smells funny.

Stephen Perkins with Jane's Addiction on the Ritual tour.(I also so him at a drum clinic - he was bad ass)..amazing hypnotic stuff. Also Danny Carrey from Tool is great live.

This wasn't a concert, but a clinic.

STEVE SMITH

I've been watching this guy for over 20 years now and he just keeps getting better and better. I caught a clinic of his here in Dallas and he was incredible. After studying with Freddie Gruber ... Steve is so fluid and relaxed ... what a monster!

I was blown away at how much he has grown as a player/drummer/musician. Try and see him play live sometime; his moves are as smooth as silk.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived