Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ClatterMonarch CD Review.

JonathanD

For those of you that ordered ClatterAmys' CD what do you think?

I got my CD yesterday, along with the seeds, and have given it a few listens.

The music is amazing. Its exactly what I like to listen to. Driving and hard, yet musical with movment and something over the top that I can think about while feeling the intensity of the music. Also the production on the bass outstanding (What do you expect me to focus on the most :) this is a bass forum).

The vocals are also sweet. I normally like to hear more long held notes, but Im partial to soul type singing which really wouldn't work for what you are doing :) Its also refreshing to hear hard music that isnt about hate, anger or guns.

This kind of music with a female vocalist is something I am currently trying to get off the ground(Bass, Drums, Vocals, samples). The CD is inspiring in that I see that this kind of music can be done well and sound full. Doing it as well as you have is another story:)

In short, I tend to keep one CD in my car for a week or 2 at a time and listen to it more than any other CD. This has replaced Clutchs' Blast Tyrant for the next cycle and will be a good friend over the holiday travel.

Thank you for making it,

Jonathan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny timing Jonathan. I just finished listening to their cover of Limelight that they put up on their myspace page, which I loved, and now I want to get the CD. Nice to get something from a new-to-me artist.

Kudos Clatter!

Newf :thu::D

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review, Jonathan! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's been a rough week17-hour days of work getting everything ready to send, then after it's all gone, a lot of sitting around wondering if anyone will like it!!! I'm so relieved you're diggin' it! It makes all the work this year worthwhile.

Glad you like our "Limelight" cover, Newf! That was a lot of fun to do!

I got the cd Thursday and have been too busy and not around a cd player long enough to give it a good listen yet. However, my gf and I will be making a nice 4 and 1/2 hour road trip tomorrow morning and I will be starting the trip with Monarch. I'm really looking forward to it!

Originally posted by JonathanD:

I got my CD yesterday, along with the seeds, and have given it a few listens.

Seeds?
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Yes seeds. They included seeds for plants that incourage Monarchs' life cycle. My father has a back yard with over 40 types of flowers and rare plants and they love monarchs. I'm sure he will be enjoying them soon (a few months at any rate).

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I can't believe I didn't post on this thread!

I recieved my copy of "Monarch" just before Christmas. I got in on the early order offer that included the t-shirt and the DVDs by Joe and Amy. I also got the seedpacket :wave::thu::D

Cheers!

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

:eek::eek::eek:

WOW!!!!! I just don't know what to say to that!! Except THANKS!!!!!!!! You don't know what a shot in the arm that is for us! As you know from watching the DVDs, this album turned into a real bear for us to make, so I can't tell you how gratifying it is to hear that all that effort wasn't in vain. And it gives us a kick in the pants to get going on putting together some shows! We've been mulling over some different ideas on how to proceed with touring, so if you have any thoughts or suggestions, we'd love to hear them! Touring the club circuit is getting harder to book with smaller turnouts than in years past, so we're trying to come up with some unorthodox ideas that would also allow underage folks to attend. We'll see what we can come up with and certainly keep you postedwe'd love to meet you in person! That goes for all of you! :)

Well, you've definitely made my weekmy month! Thanks so much for taking the time to post such a detailed review. It's more appreciated than you'll ever know! :wave:

Amy

I dig the disc a lot, too. "Death's A Wall" is the very best song that Clatter has written thus far, absolutely beautiful melody. It's a departure from most of what they've done on their two albums so far, in that it's very subdued and not crazy-drum heavy - but man. That melody kills.

The DVD's are entertaining as well, a ton of info on those.

And I love the T-shirt!

Great job, guys!

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

Sound samples of each song on their website here:

http://www.clatter.com/

House of Trouble is my current fav. Has the aggression I so dearly love. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I've been ingesting it in pieces and will report soon. I also haven't had a chance to view the DVDs (or plant the seeds ;) ). Or wear the t-shirt (which looks very cool).

What shocked me? The box came addressed to me with the letter "o"s of my name done as smiley faces. Killer bassist, great voice, and still writes my name like when I was in high school. It made the package just that much more fun to open!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Haha! Tom, I couldn't resist!! I wish I had time to decorate everyone's packages; I had to force myself not to!

Lug, HoT is definitely the one holdover from the "Blinded By Vision" sound, sort of the bridge between the two albums, I think. This new CD is much less angst-ridden and a bit more contemplative, in my opinion, with HoT being the main rocker.

Yogi, lots of people agree with you about "Death's a Wall." Funny, since it will have to be a studio-only song. Unless it's nominated for a Grammy or something, then I'll have to enlist the help of some of my basser buddies to help me play it live! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a few pennies to throw into the pot...

I have had the disk for 3 days now.. (Happy Birthday to me!) and for some reason it is stuck in my player and WON'T eject.... I unplugged/re-plugged the unit to no avail.*

I am totally digging the CD.

The vocals again remind me of Animal Logic beautiful and almost hypnotic! But in no way copying.

Playing is tight and layered in a way that might make the non-musician think there is ALLOT more going on than there actually is. (Not that there isn't a strong textural feast happening)

Favorite tracks already;

3.House of Trouble

Just DRIVING!!

8.For Her

I get the musical Samba feel with the rhythm from this (thats how I describe it at least). And cool layering with the vocals.

12. Martyr's Cry

I don't what it is about this track... Seems like a heavy "Rush" influence (Natural Science comes to mind). Its my favorite track by far. Allot of comments on Death's Wall this one shines for me the "most-est"!

I've already started forcing it onto my bandmates unbeknownced to them!

Great disk!

Brocko

*cd's I am digging get stuck in my player all the time.

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Archived