Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Excuse me sir...

getz out

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A guy I know works at a big music store.

He is um... lightfingered... with the store's merchandise. Let's just say a goodly amount of nice gear finds its way into his home studio without the benefit of reciepts.

DISCLAIMER: I don't approve of his actions, and I don't have anything he ever "liberated" from the store. He's not a friend. Just an acquaintance.

Personally, I think what he's been doing is really messed up.

However, he actually described his method of pilfering. I think it bears mentioning here.

He removes the strings and detaches the neck from the body, hooks unbent wire hangers through the holes in the neck and body and basically has the guitar "folded in half" under his jacket when he leaves the building. Last count he had made off with something like 500 or so. Never been caught. That bad karma will eventually catch up with him, I am sure.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by Luke73:

...perhaps you should alert his employer...

IMHO Someone who has stolen several hundred Guitars from his place of employment should be in jail. I would not hesitate to turn him in.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

There was a Guitars & Cadillacs bar here in the KC area, that had a lot of what were supposed to be el cheapo guitars painted weird colors with latex wall paint in similarly painted shadow boxes hung up on the walls. But I looked close at one of them and discovered it was a Les Paul Recording guitar, and I wanted to get it from them if the place ever clsoed down. It did, but I didn't get the guitar. Durn.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

Originally posted by Luke73:

IMHO Someone who has stolen several hundred Guitars from his place of employment should be in jail. I would not hesitate to turn him in.

Rocky

+1

And, the way the original story was told with the guy stuffing the guitar in his pants...it just makes the store manager sound so...intelligent. "I knew somethin' looked kinda funny 'bout him". :eek: Wait...was this in my home town? ;) Whew...nope...

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

If a store owner is nice enough to let the theif go, then why didn't the theif give him everything back? What an idiot. No honor in people; if your caught for taking one thing and are let go, you have to give everything back that you took from that place at that time. Its the thief code. DUH!!!.

We used to have a music store in Circleville, OH when I lived there. Somebody stole their guitar, too! Now they just buy used CD's that parents give to their kids so the kids can use it for dope money. :freak:

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating about the guitar...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

You are right. I probably should say something... but I seriously don't want to have anything to do with the situation--I don't want to be involved with any parts of it. He's one of those guys who makes you feel dirty just by knowing him.

Plus, it'd be tough to prove. The units he keeps for himself wind up being "laundered" in one way or another--new necks, paint, etc. The ones he sells are never stored at his house. Those go to friends' houses or are sold right away.

He'd have to be caught in the act, and he's so paranoid that it'd be tough to do that.

I don't know. I kinda wish I didn't know him. I'm getting too old to know thugs and thieves.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Sometimes karma needs a little help...

However, shame on the shop for having such poor controls.

More people than you would like to believe thieve constantly. Look at all the folks with pirated software and with stolen music. I would probably do the same as Erik, and just disassociate myself with this individual.

Originally posted by getz76:

Sometimes karma needs a little help...

However, shame on the shop for having such poor controls.

More people than you would like to believe thieve constantly. Look at all the folks with pirated software and with stolen music. I would probably do the same as Erik, and just disassociate myself with this individual.

Word.

I have suspicions about the Guitar Center that is close to my house. Something about that place and several of the people that work there rubs me the wrong way. Like something nefarious is going on.

Karma will get them. And when it does it will be bad. And I will laugh. Probably point too.

Believe it or not, the same exact thing happened at the music store where I used to work here in Grand Forks. It was before I worked there myself, but Mike, who was our department manager, was there.

Seemed a heavier-set guy wearing baggy jeans and a black trenchcoat (IIRC) stuck a Strat in his drawers and walked out. . .They noticed it was missing, as his behavior was a little suspicious during his time in the store, so they figured they knew where it went. The guy's sister, I believe, called the store and asked if they guy had "bought" a guitar, as she knew he was flat broke. . .

The PD nabbed him and he was prosecuted. The clipping of the newspaper's "Crime Report" is probably still hanging behind the desk in the guitar department.

While Mike and I were working one afternoon, the guy had the audacity to walk through the front door and have a look around. . .Mike met him in front of the counter and ushered him out.

The guy was like, "What. . .? Come on man. . .it was three years ago. . ."

Dumbass. . .

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

I have a better idea. Send an anonymous letter to the newspaper. Don't mention the thief's name, just say that someone is stealing guitars out of the store(mention it's name) at what you consider to be an alarming rate. Also say that the store management seems unaware of the problem. If you were to mention the thief's name, they couldn't print it. This way everyone in the community knows someone is stealing & selling guitars.
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

Originally posted by Rocky MacDougall:

I can't imagine that the store is unaware of such losses. I think the store needs a new manager.

Rocky

Bingo. Who is the dumbass who doesn't know that thousands of dollars worth of inventory is missing from his store? He needs a beating as badly as the thief.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

From what I can gather, he takes stuff when the store has an overabundance of stock... I'm really not sure how he has managed to do it for so long, but we're talking about years of theft and many, many instruments... as well as other music items. It does make me wonder why the store manager hasn't caught on.

I mainly know about this whole situation because he used another acquaintance's house to store something like 30 guitars and basses once when he thought he might be discovered. I popped over to hang out , saw about $20K worth of instruments in the basement and was given the whole story.

An anonymous letter might be the best idea. I hadn't thought of that. Man, this guy would go to jail for a loooong time, I think.

\m/

Erik

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

Man, this guy would go to jail for a loooong time, I think.

Yes, if the store presses charges and actually takes him to court.

In my short retail career I saw a store let a manager go for over $30,000 in fraud and they didn't follow through the process to put her away.

- Matt W.

I've seen people fired and not prosecuted for stealing from the company. Even tens of thousands of dollars in cash. I'm told that it would be bad publicity to prosecute due to the nature of the business. I guess it all depends on the point of view of the victim. *shrug*

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

Originally posted by CMDN:

From what I can gather, he takes stuff when the store has an overabundance of stock... I'm really not sure how he has managed to do it for so long, but we're talking about years of theft and many, many instruments... as well as other music items. It does make me wonder why the store manager hasn't caught on.

I mainly know about this whole situation because he used another acquaintance's house to store something like 30 guitars and basses once when he thought he might be discovered. I popped over to hang out , saw about $20K worth of instruments in the basement and was given the whole story.

An anonymous letter might be the best idea. I hadn't thought of that. Man, this guy would go to jail for a loooong time, I think.

I have two reactions to this, none of which is meant to diminish anything anyone says here.

1. There is a question of honor here. Would you associate with anyone stealing musical equipment? Hell no! (at least I hope not) And if you'd tolerate this behavior, wouldn't it be then OK for you to continue associating with this party if it turned out he stole some of YOUR equipment? I don't intend to come off honorable myself (I have a few skeletons in my own closet) but I've matured over the years and learned what it means to maintain a code of good conduct. If a person doesn't honor himself, he has little self-respect and very little respect for anyone else.

2. To know about a crime and remain silent is passive acceptance. Again, I've known and associated with a few criminals in my past, but it doesn't make it right. And for various reasons I've chosen to look the other way, hoping karma will take care of it. But it bothers me, especially if the result of my passive acceptance is that another innocent person is hurt in the future. Theft isn't murder, corporate theft is debatable (who is really being ripped off here?), but there is also conscience. Can you live with passive acceptance of a crime?

Please note that I don't have an adequate answer to the second question; I'm still working that one out for myself. But I'm sure what I'd do on the first question.

Chances are the party that stole $30K in merchandise might get away with it because (a) the store probably absorbed this in operating losses on their income tax returns, and (b) it costs between $5-10K for a store to hire an attorney to get someone prosecuted for a crime, and it is more than likely the theif will get a reduced sentence for the crime if convicted. (double that cost if the case goes through the appeals process in another court) But I think this thief needs to find another job soon before he's caught.

:wave:

Archived