Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass players and their personalities.

DavidMPires

During our meeting in London, Davo asked me if I think that Bass players have similar personalities or if they have many things in comon, personality-wise.

I've answered that I think most bass players are calm, and usually they don't search the light stage but more an harmony among all the elements of a band.

And you do u think that we all have the same personality, or loads of things in comon, apart from the love for the fish?

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In those respects, yes I would say im similar. I dress as plain as I can. And I tend to be the mediator in most of my bands. But those are very general things. Like a horiscope. I doubt very many people think of themselves as a spaz.

Can you make the list longer?

I dont think people who play the same instrument have loads in common. However I would say that within a subculture, people that pick the bass will be more alike each other than singers. Just not completly similar.

Bah.

I'm the same jerk regardless of whether I play bass or guitar.

It's the person that makes the instrument, not the other way around.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Does your personality influenciates your instrument choice?

Let's put it this way.

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

My hypothesis is that there is a general characteristic. Try this:

Ask yourself. Assuming for the sake of argument you can sing. Great. That means we can ditch the bass and get into the limelight and sing instead. We can gain all the plaudits and carry the band. Of course, if there is criticism it will often be directed at us. Oh well, not a problem we can handle it. We will also be the focal point for negotiations and interviews etc. Im the star, lets face it the rest of the band can come and go; it doesnt matter.

Is that us?

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Thanks for the explanation Davo. Wouldn't be able to put so simple.

And just to put some more contorversy on this.

How do you reply to compliments?

When anyone says: "I loved it, you were fantastic"

How do you react?

Middle child? "...known to be the peacemakers and consensus builders within their families"

I spat out my skinny decaffinated double mocha when I read this. Really, absolutely no offence,

but my experience is totally contrary to this. ;)

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Originally posted by Davo-London:

Middle child? "...known to be the peacemakers and consensus builders within their families"

I spat out my skinny decaffinated double mocha when I read this. Really, absolutely no offence,

but my experience is totally contrary to this. ;)

Davo

Well, mine too (I AM one), but I don't make this stuff up. Experts do. And who am I to argue with them?

;)

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Somewhere on here we talked about this in the last year or so. The "sibling order" spin is new, though, I believe.

I'm the youngest of four, and if anything I think that has made me a good follower. I had two parents and 3 older brothers to (a) lead me around, and (b) uh, "reprimand" me if I got out of line. ;) I can see how those experiences could relate to the typical role of bass in an ensemble. [The (b) part can be interpreted to mean that I'm more likely to "follow the rules" and be a more solid harmonic/rhythmic foundation than someone who has never faced the consequences of stepping out of line. :o ]

This doesn't mean that followers can't be creative in their attempts to be subversive. :evil: And to be fair, there is the "get out of trouble free" card for being the "baby". :thu:

If anything I'd think "middle child syndrome" would drive those to seek the spotlight/attention. Then again, maybe they're used to being ignored, so rhythm section is more familiar territory? (You tell me.)

Oldest/only kids, you'd think, would be more used to being leaders and being in the lime light. Then again, they may feel more at home being the responsible one, watching over everyone from the rhythm section.

My oldest brother, so the story goes, was denied a musical instrument when he first expressed an interest. He plays the stereo now, and is rather good at it. ;)

The next in line passed away around his 10th birthday.

The younger middle child chose electric guitar after being introduced to acoustic guitar by our step-father.

Then there's me. Although I was also encouraged with acoustic guitar, I asked if I could join the school band on trombone ('cause they don't offer tuba to 10 year olds ;) ). A year later I discovered electric bass guitar. It really clicked with my guitar and trombone background, but there was something else. My decision was partly made so I wouldn't have to directly compete with my older brother, and if anything we could actually play together. We did jam together a few times at home, but that was about it.

So opportunity has something to do with it, as well as chance and the decisions we make as we walk this earth.

Ric that's sad about your brother. It must have been a tough time.

I'm the elder brother. If anyone in MY band steps out of line I put them in a headlock or give them a chineese burn. :evil:

But I wonder how much of your personality is due to you playing bass? I learned bass in my late teens, probably at the same time as I was interacting with my peers, who were Drummers, guitarists and singers.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

The compliment thing? I used to live for those as a kid. Big ego. Huge.

I was probably the most popular kid in my elementary school (not that I knew it then) because nobody played electric guitar and I was the closest thing to a "rock star", doing a little dance on stage with my electric bass guitar (none blacker!). :rolleyes:

Now I'm a bit uncomfortable with flattery. Sometimes it feels like people are just trying to be nice/supportive (don't have to worry about that from my wife :o she tells me how it is) or they just don't have a good reference to judge my performance against.

I'm not Jaco, but how many people outside of this little community know Jaco? Did I really give a "great" performance ... by Jaco's standards? Probably not. Maybe you had a great time and enjoyed the music and maybe understood that was partly due to my contribution. That's fine, you enjoyed my playing and had a good time, but did I really earn any superlatives? Next time, just tell me "nice job" or "well done".

I mean I've had guys come up and say I was the best bassist they'd ever heard, or ever jammed with. I guess that speaks more about the other bassists than it does me. ;) I'm not the best. Sorry. Good maybe, but not #1.

A genuine compliment from a fellow musician is always welcome, especially if it is accompanied by something like "I really liked when you did this", because it shows that they really listened to what I was saying as a musician. I equally appreciate constructive criticism in the same vein.

I've always thought that most traditional BassPlayers were the ones who were very comfortable holdnig things together. Usually willing to subvert their own ego for the good of the group.

Nine times out of Ten, a compliment from someone in the audience is followed by 1) an offer to sing with your band 2)set-in or 3) request a song that you probably don't know. If you really like us, book us at your next party!

Jimmie ThunderLizard

Jimmie ThunderLizard

I think there is some in commom between bassists. Me, personaly tend to be shy and quiet. I mostly wear plain colors as I try not to stand out. Which is one of the reasons I choose bass. It's quiet and soft but you know it's there, because you can feel it. There is nothing I enjoy more than making the room thump and getting into the groove. I find it so relaxing and laid back (depending on what type of music you play). So I believe all bass players have some in common, but their style reflects their personality.
"Bass players go deeper."

Well, I play bass and am an only child.

Oh, and I can be a pretty temperamental, argumentative bastard at times. I love the way that, with bass, you can just pick up the band and carry it on your shoulders, in the way few other instruments can. So maybe I don't fit the mould.

On the other hand, I think my "inner bass player" is about not having much faith in the latest gadget, in not getting dazzled by bullshit (all that glitters, etc) and in being a centered guy who loves to find the line that fits the song and supports whatever is happening without trying to cut anybody's head.

But at a jam, when I want to pick up the tempo, I do. And I love standing on the front of the stage too.

I am the youngest of the siblings, and my band or band nucleus, seeing as how we are going through some line up changes, considers me the rock. I come in, help load, set up, play, load, and unload again.

I like compliments. Most go to the singer though. She is good looking and can sing her rear off. I usually say "thanks" and keep on truckin'. Unless they seem like they have something genuine to say. I don't like the drunks that won't leave you alone with their cousins uncle that was the best unknown talent known to man. Or the guy that is going to get you so many new shows that it is going to be ridiculous.

How do you sign a computer screen?

I'm a middle child and the band wanted to elect me the so called "leader" because I organize, keep us focused and have the most experience. I declined the position though and our rythym guitar player took the spot. He's doing a fine job too I might add.

I'm sure we all have different personalities, I can see that by the posts and different types of music we play. But we all have one thing in common, someone else grabbed the lead guitar and drum set before us in high school!

Ken

The most important thing about getting compliments is to appear sincere about accepting them. Some of the best I ever heard are these two" "This was the worst day of my life until I heard you guys play." & "Your voice sounds like a cross between Aaron Neville & an angel." The most humbling was from an 18 yr old kid "I was concieved after one of your gigs, according to Mom & Dad." Somtimes you just can't believe what people say(Bless Their Heartss).
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

Archived