Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hauling equipment!! yeash its a pain


JonathanD

Recommended Posts

please talk about how you and your band get the PA and your gear around in any way you want here. This thread is for general discussion of the topic.

---------------------------------------

However, I wanted to know if anyone has a good suggestion for a wagon or car that gets at least 20 Miles per gallon and can haul a 5X8 trailer so I can carry my PA around in the trailer if need be. I prefer a manual if possible but it doesn't matter that much. I hate vans and can not afford to have 2 vehicles right now.

Right now I pack my 410, 210, 2 basses, cable bag, stands, and 8 space amp rack into my 4 door just fine, but if I want to take my beautiful wife with me.... she has to ride on the roof. (cause I'm not putting my bass up there, it sits shotgun)

Thanks, Jonathan

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hauling gear is a pain in the %&%. I have a small a rig as I can get away with - Eden 550 and soon to have 210 cab. You don't need a lot of gear. try slimming down a bit. I would think you could loose one of your cabs. What's in that 8 space case? Is it all necessary?

 

Some real soul searching and honset answers will probaby lighten your load and give your wife a seat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A good secure trailer is the best solution. You can keep it loaded when not in use and then just unload at the job. You have room to grow, You have room to carry dollies, lighting, etc. If you want good milage, get a turbo diesel truck, 22+ mph while towing the trailer. However; it would take about 10 years of economical service to offset the initial cost. I haven't helped you very much have I?

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by SteveC:

Hauling gear is a pain in the %&%. I have a small a rig as I can get away with - Eden 550 and soon to have 210 cab. You don't need a lot of gear. try slimming down a bit. I would think you could loose one of your cabs. What's in that 8 space case? Is it all necessary?

 

Some real soul searching and honset answers will probaby lighten your load and give your wife a seat.

I was kinda joking, I can make it fit, I jsut want something to be able to pull a trailer for touring and such. and because I play with electronic music sometimes I am required to get REALLY LOW and loud and for what i bring and extra 18 and can not slim down at all.

Ill check into a turbo diesal rocky, thanks

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scion xB wagon

 

excerpts:

-With the rear seats in use, the xB can hold 21 cubic feet of cargo; fold or remove these seats and the number goes up to 43.

 

-Fuel economy is in the 30-mpg range.

 

Maybe not for pulling a trailer, but running around with a combo and a few pedals...hard to beat that gas mileage and price.

  • There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New vehicle? Make sure that the whole back gate opens up. My Blazer has the glass that opens up and the gate below the glass that opens down. Total PIA to get it loaded. Guitar player in the band has a mini van where the whole back gate opens up. Much easier in-n-out.

 

But when the gas filled strut things that hold the gate up go bad.....donk...@#%#&.....donk....&%#@!, replace them, cost be damned.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There'a lot of utility in a Mini! You could punch a couple holes in the roof and drop in a pair of 12s, stand it up on its flat little arse and plug in your favorite amp... there you have it! A car and speaker cabinet in one. You could use 15s, but with 12s you can use the spare tire as a template for the holes.

 

PS - the trailer rawks!

- Matt W.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I beg to differ.

 

Hauling gear is not a pain in the butt.

 

It is part of bass playing. If you don't like that part, switch to harmonica. :D

 

I have nearly always owned some kind of van. My current vehicle is a RAV-4 which gets 25 miles to the gallon and holds an awful lot of stuff with the back seats out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seamy, you hvae a point, maybe I should make the rest of the band get the PA there since I own it.

 

Matt, with that much sq. footage in a cab, you could get great tone for 18's... 12's how silly.... and you would want to get it up to 45 and ake a quick turn to get it over so you didnt have to lift it.

 

I want to get a vehical where i can just tow a trailer and have people sit in the car/wagon. None of these things, except the desiel will tow a 5X8 trailer. Looking at a dodge mini, it doesnt seem that it would be able to pull a trailer with one either. I may jsut have to get a van for touring, sleeping space in it, can pull a trailer, and bad gas milage.

I havent found anything on line either. I wonder why they dont make hybrids in 6 cylinder that can use the electric to keep speed at higher MPH/KPH and still ahve some power at the take off?

Jonathan

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by dnkritr:

Originally posted by getz76:

If you have a PA with subs, why do you need a 4x10" and 2x10" with an 8-space rack?

Why are you trying to argue with me? Do you get some sort of satisfaction from it?
No. He brings up a good point. If you have a PA with subs you don't need to bring such a big bass rig.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Originally posted by dnkritr:

Originally posted by getz76:

If you have a PA with subs, why do you need a 4x10" and 2x10" with an 8-space rack?

Why are you trying to argue with me? Do you get some sort of satisfaction from it?
No. He brings up a good point. If you have a PA with subs you don't need to bring such a big bass rig.
I never said I took all those things with me. if i have a pa, I just use the tilt back 210 as a monitor. I agree with you both.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want to pull a trailer you could get by with a lot of different cars. You're not going to be hauling a 12,000 pound trailer with a 700 pound tongue weight. It's going to be more like a 3000 pound trailer with next to no tongue weight. A big bass and/or guitar rig is going to weigh in at ~250 pounds. Assuming 1 bass and 2 guitars that's 750 pounds. Add another 250 for the drums and all associated hardware. You're at 1000 pounds. How big is your PA? How much does that add? I doubt it's going to be more than another 500 pounds worth of stuff for a small band that's playing gigs around town at venues that don't already own their own PA. So you're looking at ~1500 pounds of gear.

 

This 5x8 Uhaul trailer is 900 pounds empty, it only requires a class 1 tow hitch, and a tow vehicle with minimum curb weight of 2700 pounds. A Mazda 3 has a curb weight of nearly 3000 pounds and estimated 26 MPG (with manual transmission). A Mazda 3 is a pretty small car.

 

Originally posted by dnkritr:

I wonder why they dont make hybrids in 6 cylinder that can use the electric to keep speed at higher MPH/KPH and still ahve some power at the take off?

Because of physics.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

[QB] If you want to pull a trailer you could get by with a lot of different cars. You're not going to be hauling a 12,000 pound trailer with a 700 pound tongue weight. It's going to be more like a 3000 pound trailer with next to no tongue weight. A big bass and/or guitar rig is going to weigh in at ~250 pounds. Assuming 1 bass and 2 guitars that's 750 pounds. Add another 250 for the drums and all associated hardware. You're at 1000 pounds. How big is your PA? How much does that add? I doubt it's going to be more than another 500 pounds worth of stuff for a small band that's playing gigs around town at venues that don't already own their own PA. So you're looking at ~1500 pounds of gear.

 

This 5x8 Uhaul trailer is 900 pounds empty, it only requires a class 1 tow hitch, and a tow vehicle with minimum curb weight of 2700 pounds. A Mazda 3 has a curb weight of nearly 3000 pounds and estimated 26 MPG (with manual transmission). A Mazda 3 is a pretty small car.

 

TEARS OF JOY TEARS OF JOY... oh thank you from the bottom of my little black heart...thats great to hear.

Jonathan

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by jeremy c:

I beg to differ.

 

Hauling gear is not a pain in the butt.

 

It is part of bass playing. If you don't like that part, switch to harmonica. :D

And be thankful that you're not a drummer.

 

Another idea for transportation is a truck of some sort. Toyota and Nissan both make fine mini pickups that can haul your gear, get decent gas milage, and can double as a hauler for all things purchased at the mecca which is Home Depot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You and your bandmates could also do what a Seattle band did: buy a used bus

 

I'm sure hundreds of other bands have done the same but, you know, whatever.

 

You can score a used school bus for extra cheap. I wouldn't care what kind of condition the engine is in. For about $2000 you could completely rebuild the engine and it's going to treat you right for about 250,000 miles after that. If someone has any welding skillz you can replace window holes with metal to make it more secure. You can give it a Super Suite customer paint job with rattle cans; even customize it with your band name and logo! Or do what they did and paint it flat black.

 

You could haul all your band gear, a PA, all your band members and their sigificant others in a bus like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back when I drove, I drove a Toyota Corolla station wagon. Great mileage, lots of room, able to carry a lot of gear on its own, and able to pull a small trailer. I never needed to, but... you know.

Bump seems to have done the math, just pack wisely and drive safely. :)

 

Peace,

 

wraub

 

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm likin' the harmonica idea:

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/msg/217136048.html

 

So just that, and one of those old-timey microphones:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-55SH-Series-II-Mic?sku=270169

 

All that, and we're in at about 2 bills plus a mic stand. That's even easier than playing trumpet.

 

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We used to tour in a 15-passenger van, but we recently traded it in for a Toyota Highlander Hybrid and a trailer. Better for the environment and the trailer is MUCH easier to load!!! We have over 800 pounds of gear and it's just the two of us lifting it in and out (unless we get helpyou know who you are!!) so now being able to roll things in will be easier. And we don't have to smell it right behind our heads for eight hours! Ew, stale bar smell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by dnkritr:

Originally posted by getz76:

If you have a PA with subs, why do you need a 4x10" and 2x10" with an 8-space rack?

Why are you trying to argue with me? Do you get some sort of satisfaction from it?
First question: Argue? I asked a question.

 

Second question: Yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

haha, getz makes me laugh in a "i kinda knew that was coming" sorta way.

 

:D

in agreeance with Jeremy:

 

Imagine what a drummer has to deal with.

 

without paying for a cart, or road case, they have no type of casters to use...plus....stands sometimes way as much as twenty pounds each!! :eek:

 

I haul around an Ampeg 810, four space SKB rack, large pedalboard, and bass but i figure...."hey, it's hard, but it builds muscle and is part of being a musician".

 

...plus.....a 1x12 cab wont scare the fans in the front row....

 

....unless it's an accugroove that is.

 

:D:thu:

-BGO

 

5 words you should live by...

 

Music is its own reward

 

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...