Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ibanez Or Fender?

h364

Hi, i've had my eyes on a standard fender jazz for quite some time, now if been browsing as i normally do, i came across the ibanez basses, i must say i was very impressed, how they are open for other brands to add to there guitar, like the pickups for example, they dont add rubbish pickups like fender do, they add top of the range barlitoni pickips and pre-amp, now i wanted to know your thoughts on which one, because the ibanez in my views will give a massive range of tones and sounds, with super precisional accuracy, oh and just like to say i love there idea of the scooped out body for slapping, thats a genius idea!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rocky3840:

Which Fenders have "Rubbish Pickups" ??

Rocky

I rented a MIM Jazz once for a month and couldn't stand the pickups on it. However, last spring I was playing an MIA Deluxe Jazz and now it is my dream bass. Playing it was nothing but pure pleasure. You wouldn't think that anything with the word Jazz in it's name could put out the RAWK so well. Playing this Jazz through an eden metro with an eden 4x10 extension cab was a revelation. I also played it though more humble amps (like mine) and I still loved it. Fender PLEASE take note. Make it available in something besides montego black and 3 colour sunburst and make a maple fingerboard option as well.

h364, I have an Ibanez as well. It has a great (and stable BTW) slim neck and it has been very good to me. It has factory active bartolini's with a preamp but my passive p-clone puts out more volume through the active input then the Ibanez does using the passive input. That being said I'm trying to make a deal on the MIA Deluxe mentioned above and part of that will probably be trading in the Ibanez on it.

Cheers

Newf :)

They're totally different basses.

I really prefer the feel/sound of a Fender, but since I like 6-string bass, I actually went with Ibanez.

I leave the "sound" to you, but the Ibanez has MUCH closer string-spacing, and a very different neck "feel". Good-luck slappin' on that Ibanez!

I may go through my entire life not owning a Fender, but I'm surprised that you identified the pick-ups as a problem. I have tested or borrowed MIM and MIA jazz and thought they were all pretty good. I'm going to guess that the bass you rented was not kept in the best shape (or with the best settings).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

My Ibanez has P and J style pickups, it was the last in the shop without the bartiloni pickups which I didn't like.... Best of both worlds?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

There's just a few *winkwinknudgenudge* other bass manufacturers out there as well as Fender and Ibanez. Have you tried them all and narrowed your choices down to between a Fender Standard Jazz or a particular Ibanez model?

Are you comparing basses based on your ear or written specs? True, Bartolini's have a great rep. If you really want them, you can have them installed in a Jazz by your local repair shop guy.

A lot of people will also replace the bridge on a Jazz, and maybe a few other things. (Search may be your friend here.)

When I had my first bass I thought I'd be a "Fender bender" for life. That seems a little limiting to me now. If money were no object I'd probably pick up an American Deluxe Jazz of some sort ... as well as half a dozen non-Fender basses. (I admit I haven't given Ibanez a fair look; maybe they have something I'd like?)

There's a Yamaha I'd like to have, maybe a Peavey, MusicMan, possibly a Warwick, and some boutique basses I've never tried before because they were over my budget. ;) And I'm sure there are others out there I'd like, too.

When it's late at night and I'm wide awake long after everyone else has gone to bed I always end up going in my room and closing the door to play with my Dingwall. :eek::D

There's so much more out there. Talk to some of the forumites from the UK and see what they're playing and if they can suggest good places to go to check out new stuff. You might just find something you like more than Fenders and Ibanezeseses.

I hate both companies. Fender because there parts system sucks and they charge WAY to much for there instruments that IMO are not worth it(except that they say fender adn that gets you intot he fender club). And ibanez well, because when I was a teen it was the wanker metal guitar. So if we are talking about the actual bass and not my petty BS then I would also say; they are completly differnet bass's. And if you dont have all that manybass's, go for the more versital Ibanez.

------------------

In the end I would also say try schecters. If you spend $600 on a schecter expect to spend $900 on a fender to match its quality. They have a good sound, good feel and excelect customer service. If you call them, the owner Greg still answers the phone. GO EZ

Jonathan

• 1 month later...
Ive tried some fender basses and i think completely opposite to you: fender basses, at medium prices are the best for what they have included and SOMEHOW the work pretty nice.What i like most on them is the growl on the lower notes and the metallic sound when you slap. On the other hand, Ibanez's basses have a tone that i really dont like, its like too dull, they sound "dead". The lower notes sound drowned, like if the tone knob was turned way too low, and the high notes sound kind of distorted.

Nadu, the intergalactic

funk-grand-master

Yeah, all Fender basses are terrible. The pickups are terrible, the bridges are flimsy, the tuning pegs are no good.

You don't know how many times people told me this during the 70's.

Now my bass is considered vintage and people are impressed that it's all original.

Most recorded music until recently was recorded on stock Fender basses. The legendary bass players bought brand new basses and played them. End of story.

But if you want to buy a Fender and then replace all the parts, I'll buy all the old parts from you.

Offhand I can't think of a lot of studio musicians who are using Ibanez instruments. Gary Willis is the only one who comes to mind and you probably haven't heard of him anyway.

Archived