Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So whos your favourtie bassist?.....

Trucks

And I dont mean the crazy genius of people like Jaco and Victor Wooten.. But who is your fave bassist in a general band.. Who really holds the music together well?? Like he and the drummer are one..

Mine is Shannon Birchall of The John Butler Trio, plays mainly Double Bass, really makes the feel of the music what it should be. In quite a few of the songs the bassline is the most prominent part while the guitarist will be hitting root 5th, its refreshing to hear!

I did upload a clip of him doing a solo to youtube to share with you guys but for some reason the sound didnt work???!?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He gets a solo in this song, its not as funky as the one i wanted to upload but its still pretty funky, he kicks off about 50 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsM0H2EdCm4

Also his work on this is pretty good i think... its a jam style beatles cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVLAmlIzzOk

In my area, my favorite bassist is Jack Barber. He is probably the most sought after talent for special shows, recordings, etc. You have heard him but just didn't know who it was.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Me!

Only kidding!

Thanks for the links Trucks, I have to play Come Together most weekends so that is an inspiration.

Nice band, great player who I'd not heard of.

Michel Alibo (of the French fusion band Sixun) is one of my favourites as is the late Doug Rauch, Artur Maia, Billy Cox, Steve Billman, Alphonso Johnson and Leland Sklar.

I like busy bassists. Jack Cassidy, playing "Somebody To Love", was the first bassist that really caught my attention. Then I liked Lee Dorman with the Iron Butterfly. They did a song called "Soul Experience" that was in a set of odd meters, and it completely captivated me. Then it was John Entwhistle. The way he played "Summertime Blues" was a total revelation to me. Those three tunes got me intersted in playing bass, so I'd guess those guys are my all-time favorites.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Bootsy from George Clinton fame.... knows when to lay it on thick and when to back off. (that covers the funk)

Gary Willis is the fusion man for me... Check out Tribal Tech with Scott Henderson on thee geee-tar

Geddy Lee/John Myung for the prog-rock stuff Geddy covers everything well. Myung is just a sick puppy.

I gotta say Les Claypool for the UFO stuff, can't really give him a title. He's got that certain something.... (is there a song there?!?)

He did a cover of Hot Rod Lincoln, great job and tune.

Oh and Jeremy is our VERY OWN Jeremy C. who brings the jazz to you smooth and KOOL!

Peace,

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Cheers guys youve certainly given ALOT of music to check out!! I checked out a couple of your tunes too Jeremy, very smooth man!! Youve got it goin on mate!

No worries on the link Phil, my memory may be incorrect on this but I think he gives the bass line a more dominant feel than the original and although its not that complicated I think it comes across well in the mix.

Christian McBride - (solo, Pat Metheny, Philadelphia Experiment)

Oteil Burbridge - (solo, The Allman Bros., Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit)

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Geddy Lee (can't ya tell?). The way he was able to make the bass the lead instrument in the band, while keeping everything together so well, and following the guitar parts was, and is, still pretty mind boggling. He's the one that inspired me to pick up the bass.

Trevor Bolder, of David Bowie/Uriah Heep fame. He's very (and I mean VERY) melodic in his approach to the bass, yet knows when to stick to the roots.

As for the lesser known breed, I'd go with Steve Dunning. A very down-to-earth, warm and kind person but he kills on the bass. Just incredible what he can do. Very good guitarist too.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Andy Fraser from Free (Mr. Big from Free Live is my favourite bass track ever). Entwistle, especially on the Tommy medley in Live At Leeds. I was also blown out today by Bill McCormick (801 Live... I'd never heards it before). Brian Ritchie, perhaps.

Other than that, I wouldn't know... lots and lots and lots of people.

A lot of wonderful players mentioned here. Some I haven't heard in a long time! I used to love to listen to Bill McCormick's playing and I reckon that Andy Fraser was a big influence on quite a few of us. Trevor Bolder - yes! Geezer - what a geezer! John Paul Jones (what he played up till about 1975) was one of my bigger influences. I only discovered Jamerson later and he's probably the guy I listen to most.

Bottomgottem: have you heard C McB's Live at Tonic?

Gary Willis :thu: and Jeremy (of course!)

Have you noticed what a large proportion of these guys are English? Or at least British.

Strange that my favourite bassist is French, maybe. The (French) drummer in my covers band has lent me his Sixun live DVD - great, great stuff. I'd advise people to check him out. Michel Alibo on bass and Paco Sery on drums!

MIKE GORDON, if you are talking about holding the best groove he is the best. He plays in the band Phish. there is no better bass player out there that can do what he does. I dont care what anyone says, If you want some songs taht really show this IM me at harrylaantelope1
Feel the Vibration of the bass

Macca, first guy that got me to notice the bass line. Followed by Jamerson, from whom Macca stole. And this very morning I stoled Macca's bass line from "Taxman" for a contemporary Christian song we played in church (on my new bass, which sounded awesome).

And my new reggae hero, Tshaka Manjaya! :D

Unlike Picker I usually prefer less busy bassists, though I just love anybody good.

Entwistle is the man.

If he qualifies in the crazy genius category then either Bruce Thomas from The Attractions or Paul Simonon from The Clash.

How about the guy who played bass for Foghat? ;):D

Push the button Frank.

Verdine White of Earth, Wind & Fire... not constantly flashy, although he could be. He's just one of the all time greats who plays to the needs of the song.

Another favorite of mine is Raphael Saadiq, best known from his Tony, Toni, Tone' days. Once again, not flashy and loves to groove deep in the pocket.

There are plenty more I could put down, but these two inspire me the most. Their bass lines stand out but not to the point that they distract from the song. :thu:

I don't mean to change the point of this thread but am in a deep John Butler trio phase at the moment. It started 2 weeks ago and is still going strong, so i'm glad to hear i'm not alone.

Shannon Birchall is pretty impressive IMO, i wonder if he can nail things on an electric as well...

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5, Fernandes LEB-2

Ashdown ABM-300, Ashdown ABM 4x10

Alex Katunich, ex Incubus, was originaly a Jazz bassist so he bought a certain mix of Funk, Rock and Jazz to the band.

John Myung for speed mofo

Jack Bruce, for making Blues lines interesting and singing at the same time.

Archived