Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Toga Party

kenthemimic

Hello Bretheren and Sisterethen,

My band is playing a Toga party and we're a little stuck on songs to play that are theme related. We are trying to put "Shout" together from Animal House but we are having some trouble coming up with anything else.

Any suggestions?

The Halloween Party thread inspired me to ask this.

Thanks all.

Ken

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Louie Louie, Jolly Green Giant, and anything else by the Kingsmen, Midnight Hour-Wilson Pickett, Palisades Park-Freddie Cannon, Woo-Hoo-The Rock-a-teens, Shimmy Shimmy Ko Ko Bop-Little Anthony and the Imperials, 100 Pounds Of Clay-Gene Chandler, Runaway-Del Shannon, Runaround Sue-Dion & the Belmonts, all that sort of oldies stuff is in the ballpark. I can't remember who did My Gal Is Red Hot(Your Gal Ain't Doodley Squat) but it's perfect. Any early Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Lonnie Mack, or any other rockabilly stuff, that will work, too. Don't forget some "grinding" songs (slow dances) as well as the uptempo stuff. As rule, keep the songs as greasy as you can, and you'll do fine.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Eddie,

Rent the DVD "Animal House". A toga is what the ancient greeks (or geeks) wore, it kind of looks like a bed sheet wrapped around you. I don't personally understand the desire to walk around in sheets but toga parties were popular back in the 50's and 60's. It's an outside party and will be chilly up here, so my toga is going to consist of a down comforter, long johns and wool socks. Ain't gonna be pretty but at least I'll be warm.

Ken

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Ken, I know what a toga is :D I just don't understand the kind of music which is apparently linked to toga-parties ...

Late 50's-early 60's rock & roll, because that is when they were mostly held. They wore togas because they were usually held by college fraternities which are named with greek alphabet letters, greeks wore togas, etc., you do the math...

It's an American thing, Eddie - we don't understand it over here either - it's like calling sausages 'weenies' - incomprehensible.

:D

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I am as American as they come, and I don't call sausages "weenies" or have any idea why anyone who isn't a member of the KKK would wanna wear a sheet in public.

Having said all this...

Um. Play some Skynryd, dude.

Woo.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by owen's hound:

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

[QB] Hey Geoff, it doesn't matter where in the world you are, no one likes their sausage called weeny!!

Jason

Better my sausage than me... :D

http://www.anni80.info/movies/images/toga.jpg

"Who said toga party?"

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

If you play the basic college set list I think it will go over good... Green Day Blink182... college alternative stuff, or just play for the crowd. If you are looking for special songs, again college related... Hang on Sloopy, That Gary Glitter tune (if you can stomach it)

I just copied the soundtrack from amazon... do some of these then get the wet toga contest going, Ta-dah!! party

1. Faber College Theme - Elmer Berstein

2. Louie, Louie - John Belushi

3. Twistin' The Night Away - Sam Cooke

4. Tossin' And Turnin' - Bobby Lewis

5. Shama Lama Ding Dong - Lloyd Williams

6. Hey Paula - Paul & Paula

7. Animal House - Stephen Bishop

9. Money (That's What I Want) - John Belushi

10. Let's Dance - Chris Montez

11. Dream Girl - Stephen Bishop

12. (What A) Wonderful World - Sam Cooke

13. Shout - Lloyd Williams

14. Faber College Theme - Elmer Bernstein

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Ken, I know what a toga is :D I just don't understand the kind of music which is apparently linked to toga-parties ...

Eddie, the movie "Animal House" was about a partying crew of rather "enthusiastic" fraternity brothers (the Delta or "Animal" House). Watching this show was pretty much a rite of passage when I was an impressionable youth. The movie is timeset around 1963. Give or take a year. Thus the need for the oldie tunes.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Cheers

Newf :)

BTW, toga parties are awesome. Some of my best memories are from toga parties. You never know what the lady toga'ers have (or not have ;) ) on under the toga. TOGA TOGA TOGA! :D

This is one of my favorite compilation cd's -

FRAT ROCK

Here's the playlist:

1. Wooly Bully - Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs

2. Louie Louie - The Kingsmen

3. Double Shot (Of My Baby's Love) - The Swingin' Medallions

4. Nobody But Me - The Human Beinz

5. Little Latin Lupe Lu - The Righteous Brothers

6. Gimme Some Lovin' - The Spencer Davis Group

7. Hungry - Paul Revere & The Raiders

8. Keep On Dancing - The Gentrys

9. Barbara Ann - The Beach Boys

10. Wipe Out - The Surfaris

11. Just Like Me - Paul Revere & The Raiders

12. Wild Thing - The Troggs

13. Money (That's What I Want) - Barrett Strong

14. Do You Love Me - The Contours

15. Dance To The Music - Sly & The Family Stone

16. Function At The Junction - Shorty Long

17. Reelin' & Rockin' - Chuck Berry

18. Shout - The Dynatones

Pretty much any of the above will do.

Push the button Frank.

I play a lot of 50s and 60s rock n roll with a local cover band.

Stuff (from our set) in that ilk that goes down well includes

Miserlou (Dick Dale)(used in Pulp Fiction) - highly recommended!

Wild Thing

Louie Louie

Bebopalula

Great Balls of Fire

Whole Lotta Shakin

Wipe Out

Johnny B Goode

Rock n Roll Music

That's Alright Mama

Hound Dog

Blue Suede Shoes

Jailhouse Rock

Theme from Hawaii 5-0 (bit late but they love it)

FBI - The Shadows (no, too English?)

Sneak in some soul-

Mustang Sally

Rescue Me etc.

Maybe sneak in some early Stones?

I'm not at al familiar with the concept of frat houses / toga parties though so treat the suggestions with the respect you believe they deserve.

;)

At least Miserlou has a Greek theme!

Archived