Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Medeski Martin and Wood last night... oh mah GAWD

Jode

Last night I was reminded a) what monster chops and deep groove Chris Wood has on upright, P-bass, AND Hofner "tenor bass"; b) exactly how many drum grooves I have stolen from Billy Martin over the years; and c) that John Medeski is out of his goddamned mind, and the world is a better place for it. Whew.

Minor letdown: I thought John Scofield was supposed to be with them. Oh well. It's not like they sounded incomplete or anything. When I grow up, I want to be in a band like THAT. :eek:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like it was a good show Jode. I saw MM&W at Central Park's Summerstage about 5 years ago, and they were just on fire. I was amazed at just what a three-piece was capable of the entire time I was at that show. I haven't picked up any of their stuff for a couple of years, but I would definitely be into hearing what they're up to now.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Thanks for the reminder. I have only ahd one of there CD's and it was amazing. Combustication I think but i ahve forgotten about them the past few years. Im going to ahve to go get another of their cds.

Anyway, how do you find out about live shows, every site i have tried so far is a pain in the butt.

thanks, Jonathan

Here comes my devil's advocate view.

I have seen them on tv. Their music is played all the time on XM 72 satellite radio.

I don't get it.

I'm not hearing songs, just a bunch of jamming that never seems to go anywhere. Where is the chordal or melodic content, I say?

Medeski just seems to throw together every cliche jamming funk riff in a long stream and jumps from instrument to instrument. Wood plays grooves and Martin doesn't seem to.

Yes, they've played on Scofield albums, I think that Scofield is trying to tap into their commercial audience...the same way as he is doing with John Mayer. But I wouldn't put them anywhere near Scofield's league.

Just my two cents worth (adjusted for inflation).

My uncle introduced me to MMW...interestingly enough, the one who made the face in my avatar.

I really like their stuff, but know hardly any. I have been meaning to get this album, next time I go to the music store, I swear.

Bubblehouse, man....

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Originally posted by dnkritr:

Thanks for the reminder. I have only ahd one of there CD's and it was amazing. Combustication I think but i ahve forgotten about them the past few years. Im going to ahve to go get another of their cds.

Anyway, how do you find out about live shows, every site i have tried so far is a pain in the butt.

thanks, Jonathan

www.pollstar.com is a good one. Not complete, but all the biggest shows in your area should be listed there.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived