Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

other insruments

thunderbass

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jeremy c:

Welcome to the forum!

Please learn typing, spelling and grammar.

The time you spend practicing those things will be more valuable than the time you spend learning another instrument.

its the internet moron yer supposed to cut words short. plus im not planning on learning another instrument, i wuz just curious, u stupid monkey.

Listen, man, you do not want to start a flame war right away here. This is a place where we don't call anyone "moron," "u stupid monkey," or "mr.dictator."

You're welcome to stay if you want to be polite.

I also play guitar. And I can sing if you ask me to. I play around on the drums, but I don't have a set. I'd love to have one around, but wouldn't like to buy one. :D

And the tamborine, I play a mean tamborine. :P

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

thunderbass,

We treasure spelling and grammar at this forum. If you want to be taken seriously then play nice; prove to us that you are an intelligent individual who will accept our input, and prove that you have something worthwhile to contribute back to the forum. You can continue to use bad grammar, poor spelling, and insults... but you will quickly alienate most of the forum members. If that's your goal, you have a good start.

I agree with mr. dictator.

BTW, use the search feature. I am not answering this question again. (see, we use some common internet abbreviations.)

- Matt W.

Originally posted by thunderbass:

its the internet moron yer supposed to cut words short. plus im not planning on learning another instrument, i wuz just curious, u stupid monkey.

Wow ... I remember the early days of the 'net, when it was all novelty and stuff.

Between then and now, never has anyone told me that "yer supposed to cut words short".

No one ever pointed out that you were supposed to write like an illiterate imbecile and go around insulting people either.

I guess we all live and learn, don't we? :D

As for the question (or should I write "az 4 da kwesjun" ?), I stick to bass but there's a guitarist lurking inside me ... Scary, but it's true.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

But, anyways the reason why i asked this question in the first place is because before i got my bass i played around on the bongos, yeah i know it sounds dumb, and i might still want to play the drums someday. i was curious as to how long most people play bass before they begin playing another instrument as well.

That kind of stuff varies. Some musicians learn how to play a wide variety of instruments well...others stick to one instrument. I know a couple musicians who are freaks of nature and can play guitar, bass, piano, drums & percussion and can make themselves sound like a band full of crack studio players in the studio. It boggles my mind.

Most great musicians know how to play at least their main instrument and the piano.

The first instrument I learned was piano. I took two years of lessons and hated every minute, but I recognize now how valuable the theory lessons were. Now that I'm recording electronically, I'm having to relearn some of that fluency with the keyboard for MIDI purposes.

I played Clarinet in high school band. I should have played trumpet.

When I got bored with clarinet, I picked up harmonica and played that for five or six years. I still do okay with it.

I started learning bass 3 years ago. I also play a little guitar--very little, and as rarely as possible.

As Ben said, everyone's different.

Many of us played other instruments before choosing bass. I was playing clarinet in school bands and sax professionally before taking up the bass.

Later I learned other instruments.

Usually it makes sense to get to a reasonable playing level on one instrument before attempting another. Switching instruments a lot at the beginning might mean that you won't learn how to play any of them.

Hey thunderbass.

Well, I see the guys have gotten to you and let you know how we practice communicating here.

Thanks for understanding. We know from experience how important good writing is. In fact, poor writing skills are the 60 cycle hum of the written word.

I studied piano and played guitar pretty well before I played bass. I play electric and upright; I play symphony orchestra music, jazz, P/W, theater, bluegrass...whatever pays the bills.

Since I took a degree in music education, I had to pass off on all instruments. Of course, I've forgotten most of those.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

If the bass is your first instrument to learn, I would recommend waiting a while before taking up another instrument. No matter what you play, It takes so much of your time I can't see how you could do two at once and become really good at either. Wait a year or two, get comfortable on the bass and then try you second choice. I have played Steel guitar, piano, spanish guitar and now bass. The bass is the only one I have become pretty good with because, I never had a real passion to play the others. I now spend at least 3-4 hours a day with the bass. I have no time for anything else.

By the way, thank you for the apology and welcome to the forum.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I know what you mean, Rocky, I find myself stuck between guitar and bass sometimes.

But bass is what I really want to do, I'm pretty sure of that.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

I played trumpet for a year before switching to trombone (so my brother could teach me) for 6 years before I switched to bass because there wasn't music that I related to as a trombone player, e.g. Beatles and Rush. After a number of years on bass I've recently rediscovered my trombone. It's alot of fun. Playing harmonics on a stringed instrument made me understand the way that octaves of notes can be played on only 7 positions on a trombone slide - the harmonic overtone sequence is the same. I've even started playing the two simultaneously - my new doubling niche.

I'm a firm believer that a better understanding of anything can be found by digging into a variation of that thing. Nothing has taught me more about my basses than the other basses I have; It took a bass to show me the overtone series on a trombone.

Explore, explore.

Hi, Thunderbass. Thanks for adapting to us so quickly. ;) This is a great place and we all learn a lot here. :) I doubt learning percussion and bass simultaneously would be a problem; it might even be to your advantage. Bongos are a cool instrument - especially in an Afro-Cuban context.

I spent a year studying percussion (I'd already played bass for upteen years though) and it really improved my musicianship.

I think it's best to concentrate on bass as opposed to other melodic/chordal instruments for a little while but drumkit or hand percussio is cool.

I play a little guitar and keyboards and it's well worth learning at least the basics of both, later on.

Session great Chuck Rainey :love: said something on this last night. He was asked if it was important to play other instruments and he din't think it was. His perspective was to try instrumets until you find the one you feel the most comfortable with.

Chuck played the piano, the viola and the trumpet before strapping ona bass. But, as soonas he strapped on a bass, he didn't care about the other instruments anymore.

All the best!

:thu:

I've played most things on a band stage except for singing. Synth, percussion, trumpet, sax, guitar and so on.

The problem is that I always wind up playing bass on whatever instrument I take up. I gave the sax a pretty good try but I always drifted into playing basslines, I couldn't relate to doing whatever it is that sax players are meant to do.

So I'm back to playing bass. :)

Archived