Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

schecter anybody?

Bass_god_offspring

long story short:

the other night i was at guitar center (Sacramento) and i just happend to grab (literally) a Schecter Stilleto Elite 4.

Now, i've never really been interested in Schecter basses becuase of their design but for some reason i loved this bass.

mainly becuase:

-The neck is fast as hell

-The body has a very (Fender Jazz like) contour

-the finish is amazing

-it has EMG pickups

-the bridge sounds and looks freak'n awsome

SO...

my question is:

what do you guys and girls think about Schecter basses?

All the reviews on Harmony Central are great, and it's only 600 dollars.

thanks!

:wave:

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own two schecter basses and one guitar, and I love all of them. They all play great, sound great, and look great.

The only problem I have with schecter is that they often discontinue their models, and of course, they are always models I want but can't afford at the time, but when I finally have the money, I go and look and that's when it's discontinued (I swear, it's a conspiracy against me!).

The models I own are:

V-1 Plus (transparent purple burst finish)

Stilleto Studio 5 (fretless)

Stilleto Elite 5 (honeyburst finish)

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

I've played one before in GC or SA...it's definitely a nice bass, beautiful finish, balances nicely, played well. I didn't really care for the tone that much...it was warm and round, but didn't really have enough bite to it for my current tastes (most likely the EMG-HZ pickups). It just didn't speak to me, but that's just me....YMMV. I can't actually remember the exact model I played, but I believe it was a Stilleto 5-string.

For $600, there's a lot of really good basses. Not saying that you shouldn't buy this bass if it really spoke to you...but you should go try a bunch of basses if you're planning on dropping that much dough on one. I know I say this alot, but check out G&L Tributes if you can find one locally (or the American models...they sound and play about 90% the same). My own opinion is that those G&L Tributes are one of the best values you can get for sub-$1K basses (merely my opinion though). An L-2500 Tribute is usually around $700 new and somewhere around half that used, so the 4-string L-2000 would likely go for a bit less. On the downside, they are ridiculously heavy and have quite chunky necks (not my favorite neck shape), but they do balance quite well and have a huge amount of tone versatility designed in.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave-

Funny that you bring up G&L.

I was looking to buy a G&L but instead (after playing a few) opted for my current Fender American Jazz.

I didn't like the G&L becuase of their bulky size, thick neck, and large pickups. I'm more of a smaller, and more comfortable bass kinda guy. Both the Fender Jazz and the Schecter Stilleto basses are light, fast up the neck, and nicely contoured.

it is this same reason that i would never play a Musican Man Stingray or any of those other thick and heavy basses.

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

BGO...fair enough, glad you're considering all the options, that's the smart way to do it. If the Schecter floats your boat, then get it!

Yeah, the G&L isn't the most comfortable bass I have...but it sure delivers in the tone and versatility departments. I don't know about the ones you tried, but mine is noticeable heavier than my Stingray5 (which I used to think was a brick...actually isn't too bad since I started using those big, wide, soft, comfy leather straps).

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dr. Willie-

i mean that the bridge sounds very nice. it seems that since the strings are isolated from each other, they create a very nice sustain and it seemed to have very high craftsmanship.

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Originally posted by Bass_god_offspring:

how could you lose something in a divorce if its Yours, and you are the only one to use it?

ahh... youth.
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

how could you lose something in a divorce if its Yours, and you are the only one to use it?

I'll tell you how. Now, no offense to the females out there but in this day and age with the court systems set up the way they are, a woman on a mission to lie, cheat, steal and destroy can do it and the lawyers are only too happy to oblige.

But you know what? I'm actually happy now! Rock and Roll and our band has saved (sappy, I know) my life. It's the truth.

Rock on my brutha's and sista's!!!!!!

Ken

I played an Ultra Bass

One of these

in a shop a few weeks ago. First one I've seen. Never paid much attention to Schecter before. Gold hardware puts me off (silly, I know, but ...)

Anyhow this was a nice bass for under $600.

Something of a Thunderbird wannabe and doing a good job of it.

'hog body and it comes in a killer white version.

Active.

Agressive sound. Struck me as something of a funk machine. The action on this one was nice an low but I suspect with higer action it would be a great slapper

Set neck and raised center slab. Looks like a neck-thru.

A little on the heavy side.

The neck seem'd narrow, but maybe I'm just used to P's. The neck was finished and looked like a candidate for sticky neck. But maybe that's just chemistry.

Anyhow, overall a well made bass and I really liked that sound. If I were shopping, this would definately be on my list.

They also make a Tele-bass wannabe that they call the Model-T. Gotta love the humor.

That Model-T used to be the Robert DeLeo signature model. I believe it's his design. While it's not what I usually look for in a bass, I'd like to try one.

I've played Stilleto basses - they seem pretty good, but didn't call out to me like they did to BGO. I am impressed by their frequent use of red :)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

tom-

it's becuase of their frequent use in metal bands that have stained them with the blood of all the sheep they kill with their pulsing double bass and face melting metal.

;)

-BGO

Music is its own reward

---------------

Originally posted by soretro80s:

w0rd! i want one of these

http://www.schecterguitars.com/imgs/c5_antq.jpg

I cant even stand to look at the bass cause the wanker in the background. YEASH!!! its enough to make you go out and buy a rifle and practice your sniper abilities.

I use a Elite 5, I traded a Ibanez BTB405QM for it and I'm not sorry. Schecters are IMHO very good basses, but don't get the props that they should.
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

I have a Stilletto Elite 4 string. I love it and it is my main bass. I also have a Peavey Grind, I love that too. The Ibanez Ergodyne I have is weird, but I am determined to like it. I have a Rickenbacher 4003. Best sound but least favorite to play.

I judge a bass by feel and looks. Then maybe sound, in that order. The stilletto looks and sounds better than the Grind. The Grind feels better to play, but it is close.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Archived