Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fretless

h364

Hi, my birthday is only 5 days before xmas so i get all my presents and cash at once, this year im buying a rig so i dont have that much to spare maybe £200 tops, i was considering a fretless, only a vintage of something, with active electronics and eq £179.99 i think, anyway i just wanted to know is it extremely hard to play, i would like a challege and i quite like the deep, mellow sounds of fretless, or is it done right i pain in the bottom! And is it ok to play on stage? Too Arkward? Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaaahhhh fretless.

I say try it! I sure am. I have an unlined one because I want to have the full experience, and if someone hands me one without lines someday, I want to be able to play it!

They are totally cool. I love mine to death and honestly can't let it go. (I am holding it right now). So do it! But I am biased.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

I'm not sure what you can buy for that money. It sounds very, very cheap. Fretless is great; it's all I play. Lined or unlines is fine. I don't think one is harder than the other. Either way, you have to listen hard to play in tune and that only helps your development as a bassist. The expressive power of fretless is very liberating.

Go for it!

Just learn to play it in tune!

;)

I definitely agree with Phil...unlined or lined doesn't matter that much, although I actually prefer unlined but with the side dot markers. It forces you to really listen to yourself and the rest of the players to make sure you are playing in tune. And that is definitely a good habit to foster...listening to everyone else in addition to just yourself.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by bass247:

Aaaahhhh fretless.

They are totally cool. I love mine to death and honestly can't let it go. (I am holding it right now).

I really admire your learning a fretless. And great to hear you're so passionate about it to!!

I've been learning a fretted bass for a couple of years now, and once I sort of get the fretted under control (if I ever do!!) my goal is to move on to playing a fretless (unmarked). I love the sound of them. I would also like to try a double bass (upright) one day!

Keep playing that fretless of yours. :-)

MUSIC is food for the soul

Thanks! Wanna know a secret? I'm holding it right now, too!

It's been in the house for less than a week and everyone's already sick of hearing and seeing it.

They're so expressive!

I bet I can get pretty good at it by the time I am old enough to have a musical career.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

Well, a guitarist recently asked me if playing fretless isn't harder than playing fretted. My response was: "No, you just have to aim better." He was a bit confused at first but then he got my point.

Playing fretless is very, very addictive (ask Maisie :D ) but can also be very, very frustrating (ask anyone).

I play a cheap Palmer which I got off eBay for approx $110 (including shipping) and it was unlined (which is fine by me) but also lacked side-dots (which is not fine by me) so I bootsyfied it a bit by adding little star stickers where the dots would have been :D

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Well It Seems Like A Challenge Im WIlling To Accept, It must be a great feeling to pick up a fretless and just play it like a normal fretted, great sense of acheivment, also i was thinking maybe if i didnt work out i could ask my local music shop to fit some dot positon inlays, the ones on the neck because generally i go by them rather than the actuall frets, and also i've been playing virtually everything i know with a towel over my head to try and develop an understanding too! Thanks For The Very Helpful Feedback.

I found fretless not too difficult actually. After you've played a fretted bass for long enough, your hands *almost* know exactly where to go. You just have to concentrate a bit extra on precision and really listen intently to the other players. Like I said, that's a good habit to acquire whether you're playing a fretless or fretted bass.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by bass247:

The thing is that if you even tilt your finger, the note can change.

Absolutely agreed...but that's actually a benefit, not a drawback!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I just ot a fretless again - unlined this time. I forgot how hard it is and how dependent I was on those lines. My side dots are not in a good place so I think I'll just cover them up. Anyone have any suggestions? Sharpie perhaps?

Yeah, plus Sharpies come in a lot of colors to match that of your bass! If you have a black one, you could even use :eek: Industrial Strength!

Granted I have prior musical knowledge (about 10-12 years of guitar before I got my first bass), but I learned on an unlined fretless and I didn't find it too difficult. Again, having a background on guitar might have helped that.

Personally, I love fretless and it's the only way I *want* to play, though just a few months ago I bought my first fretted bass so I could learn slap/pop. The expressiveness of a fretless bass is by far the most rewarding part of the instrument IMO.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Originally posted by SteveC:

I just ot a fretless again - unlined this time. I forgot how hard it is and how dependent I was on those lines. My side dots are not in a good place so I think I'll just cover them up. Anyone have any suggestions? Sharpie perhaps?

The problem is that side dots are generally in between frets, whereas you want to be playing where the fret should be. I had my Fender P-Lyte de-fretted, and the guy put in oak strips so it's lined, but looks great. The lines help(ed), the side dots don't.
The bass player's job is to make the drummer sound good - Jack Bruce

Agreed - I filled the fretslots with Pine-coloured plastic wood, whan I de-fretted my cheapo bass.

It is very helpful, especially at the beginning, although I find that I can mostly play without looking at the fretboard now, although I have to look at the beginning of the number to make sure I'm in the right place.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived