Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upcoming Trip to New York, Cancelled

jmrunning3

I will be attending a Cisco course in New York the week of August 14th. Looks like the school is located on Manhattan Island near Times Square.

Any LDLD-ers care to meet up for dinner one night that week? :wave:

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expense account? I wish! I do want to sample some places unique to New York.

Dr., I haven't made my travel arrangements yet, but my plan is to arrive sometime that Sunday afternoon or evening, then leaving Friday evening or early Saturday.

Class is out 4:30-ish and the evenings are open.

-- Joe --

I am currently unemcumbered by work, so at this time I would be down for a 48th street sojourn, an inexpensive meal, or both. Or similar.

Hot dogs alfresco, anyone? :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by wraub:

Hot dogs alfresco, anyone? :)

No way !!

However, there is a falafel/gyro cart on 46th at 3rd that we visit for lunch. Always great food at a great price.

JM - kidding about the expense account - we'll find some fun.

All - Since our Woo Lae Oak experience, I've visited one of two nice looking Korean restaurants on 35th, which was quite good. It wouldn't be too far from Times Square and just a bit farther from 48th.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hmmm...Not many Korean places in OK.

I requested my travel arrangements today, so I should have something confirmed soon.

I'm anxious to meet y'all!

-- Joe --

Sorry everyone, but I will not be coming to New York. Apparently, the travel expenses caused my management to choke. I've been asked to reschedule for less expense. I'll post a new thread as soon as I find out where I will be.

Dammit! :(

-- Joe --

Originally posted by jmrunning3:

I will be attending a Cisco course in New York the week of August 14th. Looks like the school is located on Manhattan Island near Times Square.

Any LDLD-ers care to meet up for dinner one night that week? :wave:

Wow Manhattan comes in island form now?
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Originally posted by getz76:

That stinks. Did the $400 a night hotel rooms scare them? :)

Apparently. I tried to argue that I wasn't going to rent a car, so it would offset the lodgings. No go. :P

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

Wow Manhattan comes in island form now?

I'm not usually TOO geographically challenged, but I freely admit I'm unfamiliar with New York. Technically it is an island when taken as a whole. But I think you are more correct since I was going TO Manhattan. Good call, bNb! Since you helped me learn something new today, can I go home now? :thu:

-- Joe --

I am in New York, and when I worked for a big professional services firm, they used to ship us out for mass training because it was cheaper to pay for airfare, meals, hotel rooms, ground transportation, and conference rooms out of town than paying for conference rooms and meals in Manhattan. :)

just kidding jm, I thought of that last week and when it made the top of the list again, I couldn't resist.

BTW, It should be pretty easy to find Cisco classes just about anywhere these days but if you can get a free trip out it, that's good to... I was actually going to ask for a review of the class you were taking.

"Long Island is neither long nor is it an island.. discuss.."

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Getz, knowing what I know now, I can see why they send you out of town.

Right now, it looks as though it may be Chicago instead, but I hesitate to confirm that without having approval. I will be happy to review the class for you once I finally get to it!

-- Joe --

When you do come to NYC, if you fly to JFK you can save the expensive cab ride to the city with AirTrain + Subway. I use it often.

One way cab from JFK = $45 + bridge/tunnel toll + tip = $55

Airtrain + subway = $5 + $2

As long as you aren't bringing luggage any larger than a carry-on bag, the subway is easy. It's better than getting stuck in traffic on the LIE and Van Wyck.

Very sad to hear that.

Suggestion to the "powers-that-be": you could also fly into Newark Airport (EWR) and stay at the Gateway Hilton (click here for details and rates) which is part of the complex linked up to NJ Transit and the PATH trains to NYC. (puts you within an hour's commute to midtown/downtown Manhattan which isn't bad) A lot of Euro-Asian travelers stay there the year through and I think these parameters might make your trip a little more affordable.

Not that I'm knocking "Second City" (great town to visit and even live in) but maybe your bean-counters were projecting this based on current NYC lodging rates, which are pretty heinous most times of the year. Anyway, let's hope they reconsider this.

:wave:

Thanks, Fred. I've not heard back as yet. The hotels being considered were all located within blocks of the training center near Times Square. Think that might have been a factor?? :P

-- Joe --

"Newark, NJ: where you are always one small step from getting stabbed."

No offense, Fred, but I worked in Newark on a client engagement in my day job for about 14 months. I would rather chew tinfoil followed by a gargle of Drain-O than spend any more time than necessary in Newark.

Many of the people staying at the Gateway Hilton are there for business, either visiting Prudential (they have large Asian subsidiaries) or the law firm of McCarter & English.

Sorry about the cancelled trip, but I agree that you can travel to lots of far-away places and stay for less. Sadly our house isn't set up for guests. Hopefully you get to go somewhere that has low-downers!

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

"Long Island is neither long nor is it an island.. discuss.."

Nothing to discuss - it's an island (you have lots of time to sit in traffic to observe this fact). And at 130 miles long and 30 miles wide, I consider it long. Granted, Long Beach Island is 75 miles long and 4-5 blocks wide appears longer, but....

Hey - that's my home-(is)land you're talking about!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Well, I am certainly sorry about not being able to come to NY. I appreciate everyone's response to the opportunity for meeting up that week.

The course I'm signing up for is in several major cities, so I'm certain there are giong to be at least a few Lowdowners available.

-- Joe --

Archived