Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Definition of "woot"???

jlrush

Hey thanny,

Just for the sake of humoring the un-hip (namely me), what the heck does woot mean?

When using this word do you change the pitch of your voice to a higher or lower register?

Is it a noun, verb, preposition, etcetera?

:rolleyes::P

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Social Critic:

woot (n) - any tuber as identified by Elmer Fudd. (see also - wascally and wabbit)

Nice! :D
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Originally posted by robb.:

don't ask thanny; he doesn't know. he thought he made it up after seeing it all over the place online.

here is wikipedia\'s humble definition.

robb.

TO PUT THIS QUESTION TO REST, I CALLED WIKIPEDIA FOR VARIFICATION AS TO THE ORIGIN OF THE WORD AND THE TRUE DEFINITION. THEY TOLD ME THEIR INFORMATION CAME FOR A RELIABLE SOURCE, THEY SAID HIS NAME WAS THANNY AND HE SAID HE JUST MADE UP THE WORD DURING A STRANGE DREAM. NOW, WE KNOW. I'M GOING BACK TO BED AND TRY TO GET SOME SLEEP. :bor:

ROCKY

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Woot are you talking a'boot?

(sorry Canadian friends.... not the joke, trying to past Thanny off on you) WOOT!

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

I thought it might have something to do with internet chat. Thanks robb.

Originally posted by Social Critic:

woot (n) - any tuber as identified by Elmer Fudd. (see also - wascally and wabbit)

ROFL! Elmer's speech impediment was the first thing that came to mind after I actually thought about it. Elmer is cool.

Anybody ever heard Robin Williams' bit of Elmer Fudd singing Bruce Springsteen?

I'm dwivin' in my cah,

Turn on the wadio,

I'm holdin' you cwose,

but you just say no,

You get the idea. :D

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

The word does appear in literature, so it has to be legit.

Hooway for Wodney Wat by Helen Lester. Rodney suffers from a speech impediment, much like our friend Elmer Fudd.

Elmer's definition #2 is: an expression of victory e.g. "woot! wooty toot toot!"

As if it makes any difference.

- Matt W.

In my opinon, woot should be spelled w00t. And have a period after it. ohhh YEAH.

w00t means....

well, if my friend said, "I just got a new bass! It's signed by Stu Hamm!" I would say "w00t."

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Woot is an exclamation of excitement or sarcasm.

Like if your mom tells you to do the dishes you could say, Woot. And if yo got something nice you could say woot and really mean it. I had never seen it anywhere except me and me gf's emails until recently, I'm not convinced it was poular.

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

They explained it quite well. You can also use it sarcasticlly like, Woot I just go hit by a car. Or "how was your day? Just wooterific! *Walks in with fish attached to head*

I popularized that word. Me and my Girlfriend used it but now it is popping up everywhere.

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

Originally posted by Matt W:

I'll admit to being ignorant of the word until Thanny started abusing it...

Obviously not much of a gamer then. Which is good for you because I know countless hours of my life have been wasted playing video games. :)

Seriously. If you play online games, especially of the first person shooter variety, you have seen that term used for years. I can remember seeing it on the early versions of Counterstrike and that was in 1999 that would be prior to Valve officially acquiring the mod from the guys who created it and then subsequently officially releasing it. I admit that I went through my own little w00t phase. I got better.

There are tons of language/acronyms out there in the ether that most people are not aware of. Or it takes a very long time for them to stumble upon the language/acronyms after they have been in use. It's the nature of the beast/interwebthingie. I still get emails forwarded to me today that I originally saw 14 years ago when I setup my first email address. I can't wait to get the "Bill Gates is giving away his fortune" email again. That one rules.

Not much of a gamer? Well, I'll have you know I have reached level four on Trogdor!

In fact, I am not a gamer... Atari 2600 and I parted ways many moons ago and I can't bear the thought of moving on. There was a short tryst with King's Quest on my PC Jr. Still haven't got use to the idea that this interweb thingy is good for anything but bass research.

- Matt W.

Archived