Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

finger cramps

DC Ross

So... at our debut gig the other night, my index finger cramped up on the first song. It was a major struggle to get it to do anything. :mad:

I'm not sure if "cramp" is the right word. It was like it was physically tied to my middle finger and wouldn't obey my commands.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? What did you do to combat this?

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know. I have had it happen but usually after or during certain songs. We arrange set lists so that certain songs are not back to back, at my request. On occasion I have switched to picking style (with finger, no pick) until "cramps" subside. Sounds like crap but better than stopping.

Honestly it is not really a recurring problem.

Are you eating your bananas? ie could be a dietary issue, etc.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I have noticed that 90% of my students dont breathe when they play. If you are nervous before a gig, you might be standing there waiting to start and not be breathing. I did the same thing for a while and noticed that after playing for 20-20 min. I would get tired... I wasn't breathing. So I started making myself take breaths with the measures of the song. I later got into breathing techniques, and you can get some fairly wierd states of mind by just changing you breathing cycle for prolonged periods of time.

try breathing in for 10-15 seconds, holding it for 5, breathing out for 20-30(double the intake time) and hold for 5. The most important being the doubled length of time for the out breath. DO this for at least 30 min and dont move the whole time. I promise it will be an experience to remember.

Warm up for sure!

did you do a search DC? This malady has affected many of us and there is a lot of useful information in past threads - everything from cramps to Carpal Tunnel.

Good Luck

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

What dnkritr suggests is a well known meditation technique, it really does relax and might be a good idea to try but practice it before the big night.

I would suggest that to me it does sound like you weren't sufficiently warmed up, I had a similar experience earlier this year when I walked in off the street straight onto the stage. It took me about ½ hour to get over it, I was having to simplify my basslines to survive the first set.

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

I have that "it won't cooperate" feeling sometimes, usually if I tear into something challenging without a decent warm-up. Try doing a long, slow, warmup. Nothing too fast or challenging...just get the finger muscle's active and ready to go. That helps me a lot!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Thanks for the great advice & suggestions. Like bottomgottem pointed out, I neglected to mention that it's my fretting hand. Most of our songs are in D and I also use the low C quite a bit on the 5er, so I'm constantly way low on the 5th string.

Being our first gig (and my first in over 12 years), I was probably a bit tense & over excited, and was strangling the neck.

Last night at rehearsal the same thing happened, but not nearly as bad. I think the warm up suggestions are a great idea & will definitely be taking it to heart. I have a pair of those Chinese balls of steel that I may try playing around with, too ;)

We've got another gig on July 1st, so I'll try all the other suggestions as well & report back.

Thanks!

-d

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

I have that "it won't cooperate" feeling sometimes, usually if I tear into something challenging without a decent warm-up. Try doing a long, slow, warmup. Nothing too fast or challenging...just get the finger muscle's active and ready to go. That helps me a lot!

Dave

same here.

If the problem is your left hand, you may be playing with too much tension in that hand.

Try this exercise...play a C major scale (starting on the B string) through two octaves with your thumb NOT touching the back of your neck. If it's really hard, then you'll know you're using too much tension in your left hand.

Most of the force for pressing the strings down on the fretboard should come from your shoulder, not from your thumb. Double bassists know this all too well. There's almost no way that they can push their strings down onto the fingerboard using just the tendons in their arm and get a good sound without being injured. The weight of your arm and your shoulder should work FOR you.

One thing that might be overlooked is diet like RossBrown stated... did you set up and rusharound forgetting to eat? and more importantly...drink! no no... not the hoochie juice. I'm talking about water WATER h2o! Beif a cyclist....if you think you needater or a drink is to late. hydrate yourself regularly to avoid cramps of most kind.. (even helps if you are hungry). I think that a little bit of nerves and if you didn't warm up could have cause the rig-a-mortis in the digit. Watch what you do for the next gig to make a effort to see if the condition gets better. Good Luck.

Peace,

BROCKO

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Another thing that I do is stretch my fingers before playing. The muscles in your fingers need to be stretched just as the muscles in a runner's legs. Just slowly and gently push one finger back at a time. Just give them a good stretch. Not so far as to cause pain, but I think you will notice a vast improvement.

Love God...Love People!

Originally posted by Brocko777:

One thing that might be overlooked is diet like RossBrown stated... did you set up and rusharound forgetting to eat? and more importantly...drink! no no... not the hoochie juice. I'm talking about water WATER h2o! Beif a cyclist....if you think you needater or a drink is to late. hydrate yourself regularly to avoid cramps of most kind.. (even helps if you are hungry). I think that a little bit of nerves and if you didn't warm up could have cause the rig-a-mortis in the digit. Watch what you do for the next gig to make a effort to see if the condition gets better. Good Luck.

Peace,

BROCKO

How about a new term "Gig-a-mortis". ... better new term than "woot"
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Originally posted by DC Ross:

I have a pair of those Chinese balls of steel that I may try playing around with, too ;)

Talk about bragging ;) Someone should use this as a signature line *ROTFLMAO*

Seriously now, it's been said before but it's too true not to repeat it: warming up helps considerably.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Drinking water will help, but it is generally the salts that you will be missing. Not salt as in table salt but the potasium ones. Bananas help and try Indian Tonic Water, ginger ale, or a sports drink.

I've found I stop breathing. Sometimes at work when I am stressed I find I'm sitting holding my breath.

Don't underestimate the amount of water you lose when you exhale either, so even if you are breathing properly you will be loseing water that way too.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'm assuming that you mean your left hand, one thing that I know really helps stretch out your hand and prevents further cramps is doing cello excersises, really improves your reading and speed, go Dotzaur, start on e'tude 15, I'm sure alot of Bass teachers can back me up on this

response to someone saying the bass was a spinoff of the g***r

SavedByJaco:the bass is not a spin off of anything, it's a hybrid. Like on Underworld, the guy becomes a mix between the Vampire (G***r) and Werewolf (Upright Bass) and totally kicks ass!

I never have problems with my right hand, but on occasion I get a cramp between my thumb and fingers on my left.. It only happens when I'm playing a lot of repeating pentatonic scales with in a piece over and over.. the repetition is what seems to bring it out.. If I stop for only a few minutes it goes away.. so now I avoid this type of playing as much as possible.
Don't forget.. it all started with men like Bach, Vivaldi, and Gluck!

Archived