Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: Food

_Sweet Willie_

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a specie of half runner green been/pea called "Greasy Beans" grown in Eastern Kentucky (where I'll be next week) that is the most amazing green bean known to man. A quick blanching for sweet and crispy, or a longer simmer with ham hock for a healthy bite of pure goodness.

I could live on those, I imagine.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

LMAo...this is a crazy thread. 20 years on the road taught me a few things.

Spaghetti and Sausage is one of Gods most perfect foods, especially in my kitchen. But other Incredible Edibles are as follows:

Hot Dogs

Hamburgers

Pizza

Salmon in dill cream sauce

Risoto with grilled chicken and vegatables

Any Strip loin steak if cooked correctly

Cod any style, especially baked

All Shellfish, especially when on a buffet

and Oreo's

IMHO

I seek knowledge from the winds of destiny , Wisdom from the seas of time, and honor from within myself. Lost in a land where bass and time collide.

All that talk about sausage and potatoes and no one said "bangers and mash" ??? The name alone makes it fun to eat (at least the time I had it in a restaurant here in NY).

"Blessed Are The Cheesemakers" is the name of a novel that I really enjoyed.

My mother-in-law makes a pasta with spinach (big leaf spinach) with oil and whole garlic that is outstanding. I had it for dinner the last two evenings.

Sorry Alex - maybe the "white bread" you get is different than here. I much prefer rye, nutty oat, or other varieties of bread for toast or sandwiches. I'm with you on the marmalade - make mine orange please.

Also tried Japanese rice balls at a place here in NYC. Most of the varieties are not round, but were tasty and fun.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Normaly I like more of a multi-grain/whole wheat type of bread, especially for a lunchmeat sandwhich with mustard. However, they just don't work well (to me) with peanut butter & jelly. Got to have plain white bread (preferably soft & chewy) for peanut butter & jelly.

My wife & daughter were up in NYC over the Christmas break to go to the American Girl store. They had lunch one day at Peanut Butter Company, which specializes in... you guessed it. They brought back a jar of spicey peanutbutter for me; killer stuff. Balance it with a little raspberry preserves and that's a mouth-warming treat. I should probably try to make sesame noodles with that one night this weekend.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Also tried Japanese rice balls at a place here in NYC. Most of the varieties are not round, but were tasty and fun.

I'm a big fan of Italian rice balls called arancini. These are almost like breaded, fried balls of risotto usually with a chunk of mozzarella (and sometimes ground meat or prosciutto) in the middle.

Genius :idea:

There was an Italian deli next to the laundry place that we used when we were first married (Pastosa). They had excellent rice balls as MZ describes. Years later I had an Italian rice ball and it reminded me of being newly wed. And of the couple who ran the laundry, and the couple who owned the house that had our apartment.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

anyone into southern food?

my personal favorite was the shrimp po-boy. i mean, a po-boy is basically just a good sandwich, but if it's a shrimp sandwich, it goes to another level. i like them dressed, which means lettuce, tomato, pickles, and some mayonaise. i also like to add cocktail sauce. sometimes i'll order without mayonaise so i can use tartar sauce. what a great idea. and the key to a good po-boy (besides the breading for the shrimp) is in the bun. it's hard to find the perfect bread.

the funny thing about po-boys is that the best of them are found in gas stations. i don't know why, but the gas station po-boy is going to be better than what you would get in an actual restaurant. although the crescent city grill restaurant chain had a good recipe: shrimp, crawfish tails, and jalapeno po-boy. if i made that at home, it'd be perfect. better yet, if the chevron on SR-39 north in meridian made it, it'd be perfect.

another favorite is boiled crawfish. it's more of a new orleans thing, but it's rightfully spread across the south. i love boiled crawfish. i went to a crawfish boil in slidell, LA (north of lake ponchartrain) my first summer down there. you take a 40lb. sack of live crawfish and throw it in boiling water with potatoes, corn, and whatever other vegetables you want. but the trick is adding lots of spices to the water, which the animals and vegetables acquire while boiling. it's awesome. and the more sacks you boil, the spicier it gets. we ate so much food that day. and the best part was when you finished a tray, you could throw the carcasses and corn cobs and whatever other leftovers into the bayou. by the end of the night there were several alligators hanging around and eating. one was 5 feet long. it was pretty cool.

i also really enjoyed southern cornbread, which isn't sweet, and jalapeno cornbread, which is also very tasty. i could have done without the meat in every vegetable dishes, though, and not just because i'm a vegetarian. they just put too many bacon pieces and leftover meat bits in otherwise healthy and tasty vegetables.

southerners really love fried catfish. i prefer fried whitefish, but catfish is ok. i don't eat either anymore. but i still love hush puppies and french fries. i'm also a huge fan of fried dill pickles. it sounds gross if you've never had them, but what they are is very thinly sliced pickle chips, breaded and fried. what they turn out like is similar to onion rings, but saltier and with a hint of vinegary bite. they're really good. we went to a friend's house where her mom made a good catfish meal fresh that day. fried catfish, hushpuppies, french fries, cole slaw, and green beans, with banana pudding for dessert. i fell asleep shortly after dinner.

the southern carnival dessert i never got to try was the fried oreo. it sounds ridiculous, but i guess how they do it is batter an oreo in cake batter, and then deep fry to perfection. it sounds really good to me.

but that's how most southern food is good. it's deep fried. see the theme? it's tasty that way.

robb.

This is a great thread.

I wanted to thank all the participants for making it so.

Please know that I, the thread-starter, who started the thread out of my own self-interest in writing about simple pleasures in my life, am humbled by the avid participation of my forum-mates.

Mmmmm. Food.

I really like blackened catfish. With hot sauce.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Tom, Yeah, the Japanese rice balls (onigiri) are a great snack food - I like the ones with the pickled plum in the centre and then you wrap them in seaweed.They're one of my son's favourite foods, full-stop. To tell the truth, I can get him to eat anything if I let him wrap seaweed around it.

Recipe

http://www.recipezaar.com/8624

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

I'm with you on the marmalade - make mine orange please.

Oh Tom!

I don't know if the French restaurant chain "La Madeleine" has made up there yet (started in Dallas, doncha know) but wow!

It's a bistro style, go through the line and select your meal. While you wait for it, grab some fresh, warm bread, butter and the greatest orange marmalade ever made.

On your travels, look for that place. It's amazing.

• 1 month later...

There is no such thing a great Mexican food north of San Antonio. Sorry, but that is the truth. MY 350 lbs. can testify to that.

Rocky

PS Never trust a skinny cook !

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I had a GREAT food experience yesterday.

Have you heard of Carrabba's Italian Grill? Big chain, great food.

Johnny Carrabba and his uncle Damian Mandola have a PBS cooking show called "Cucina Amore" where Damian dresses like a monk and they make dishes filled with the love of food. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, Here\'s a link.

Yesterday (Memorial Day) I was in Austin with a group of students. A couple of the directors and I decided we wanted to find a neat little place to eat. We drove north and west way off the UT campus, perhaps 10 miles, just following the road. We came across a neat looking little complex where a sign promised "Italian Market." Let's try it.

We went in and found a bustling market of incredible homemade foods and imported Italian stuff. Interspersed among the food were chairs and tables, and cooks were making pizzas, sandwiches and pasta.

I got the Fennel Italian sausage sandwich with roasted red peppers. It was incredible.

While eating, I noticed a guy in a t-shirt and sandals busing tables. He looked just like Damian Mandola, from the TV show.

So I asked one of the employees why he looked so much like the TV guy. He WAS the TV guy. Turns out he retired, selling his interest in Carrabbas, but couldn't stand being out of the business. He opened this little market and busys himself fussing about the place. The employee introduced me to Chef Mandola, who sat down and had a chat about food.

AMAZING! The best part? He is a lover of people, and is always bouncing about making sure everybody feels hospitable and welcome, and understands the food.

If you get to Austin, you simply must try Mandola's Italian Market. Google that and you'll find several very positive reviews.

My wife and I will make the 3 hour drive to Austin so I can take her sometime this month. That's a testimonial.

While eating, I noticed a guy in a t-shirt and sandals busing tables. He looked just like Damian Mandola, from the TV show.

So I asked one of the employees why he looked so much like the TV guy. He WAS the TV guy. Turns out he retired, selling his interest in Carrabbas, but couldn't stand being out of the business. He opened this little market and busys himself fussing about the place. The employee introduced me to Chef Mandola, who sat down and had a chat about food.

Wow! Very cool.

conveniently enough, i'm going to austin for the first time in august. i can't think of a better time to be in austin -- i've never actually had my flesh melt off my bones, so that'll be good. i'm all for new experiences.

i think i will put the market on my destination list. i'll only be there for a few days, but i think i can make it happen.

robb.

OK Dave, I'll be going to Austin soon and will give it a try. I'll tell the owner I'm a friend or yours. Hope you left a good tip.......Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

First of all, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that sausage may be the perfect food.

Sausage is the perfect food.

Finding really great sausage is a fulltime quest of mine. I have never had any really bad sausage. I've had a lot of mediocre sausage. I have on occasion found some really great sausage. I like it fried, boiled, broiled bar-b-que'd and would probably eat it raw if I had to.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

I stopped back in on Monday to Mandola's, as I travelled to San Antonio.

My food and experience was better the second time. I met Damian Mandola Jr, and what a nice guy.

If you get near Austin, you simply MUST try Mandola's.

Archived